Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Great series

Bowler
    Chats: 1

Great bowling Aslan!

Chats: 204

Thanks all.

I can't get too excited until I see the success translate to my Monday league and tournaments. I know it's still 'good'...but one thing I've learned over the past year is that lane/house conditions have FAR FAR FAR more impact than I thought when I started bowling. And if MikeW were here...he'd remind me/us that he even pointed this out after one (or all) of his epic losses to me...that the way I used to bowl (badly)...the pattern didn't matter as much. Now that I'm bowling "properly"; the patterns are probably the biggest thing affecting success.

I averaged 162 two seasons ago in Anaheim Hills. Then 173 last year in that house. I average 176 in my Monday league in Anaheim. I averaged 174 (adjusted) in BOTH seasons I was in the sport shot leagues. And I averaged in the 160s every season since I started (all in Anaheim Hills). I NOW average 203 on Wednesdays. Statistically speaking...that is a significant difference. Plus, I averaged 190 in this league last season. So we're talking a CONSISTENT 20-30 pin difference.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer...but I have to be realistic and keep focused on improvement...especially at my home center in Anaheim (Mondays). I don't want to turn into "that guy" who averages 195-215 in ONE house and never leaves because the minute he bowls in another center he can't break 180. I have a singles tournament next weekend...my first tournament since the disappointing performance in the singles tournament back in late August.

But...on the FLIP/POSITIVE side....what really was surprising about the performance wasn't the scores. I've bowled 215-244 games before. I've started with the front 5 before. But the REAL source of inspiration and motivation was more qualitative. In other words, it was how I looked and how the ball looked. When you SEE someone that is bowling PROPERLY (form, timing, balance, focus, release, etc...)...you can most often tell. And I've only seen TWO guys (non-PBA) bowl with better form than what I bowled with last night. One of them was the best bowler on Tuesdays and the other a semi-pro that used to bowl on Wednesdays.

The team we played was new and every once in awhile I'd look back as I was getting up to the approach or coming off the approach...and they were just in "awe". They watched my teammates (#3 and anchor) with their big thumbless hooks...their mouths open...and at a couple points even came over and said, "wow...you guys can really hook the ball!" And then they watched me...and it was like watching the PBA on Saturdays. It wasn't just that the ball STRUCK...it was that the ball struck PERFECTLY. No brooklyns...maybe ONE. The thumbless guys can hook more...but they were inconsistent. Some of their shots the pins exploded...other shots were horrible leaves. Meanwhile...almost every shot I made was perfect.

Opening up the shoulders is a big part of the recent success. It feels weird to walk one way with your shoulders/feet pointed another way...but I'm getting used to it.

FOCUS is a big part. People tell me to "think less"...and that's partially right and partially wrong. I need to THINK less...but FOCUS more. If I stare down that target...I almost always hit it and the shot hits well. But if I get distracted with other nonsense and take my focus off that target....not as good.

And BALANCE. People here and elsewhere have said..."if you can post your shot...that means you're balanced...and your shot will almost always be good." That is SO TRUE! On the few "bad shots" I made...I fell off the shot....couldn't stay balanced at the line...probably out of time (timing).

So, Mudpuppy Cliff Notes, the score was nice...I love to win more than I spend. But I also have to be realistic and make sure I don't fall into the trap most league bowlers fall into...where they average 205 and then go to Vegas for sweeps and average 135.

And not to incur the wrath of atheists and agnostics...especially the bowling God Iceman (come back old timer!!!)...but ya know...money has been tight lately with alimony and child support and an expensive bowling habit and a car that has required some significant CASH lately to keep it running...and this week I was SHORT on cash. Then Monday I win $27...gives me some cash for Tuesday and Wednesday. Then on Thursday, I win another $70...now I have some cash for the rest of the week/weekend. And today I got a gift card in the mail from Time Warner Cable for $200...which was part of the deal when I signed up and I actually forgot about it...so that will help. Now I can afford to go online this weekend or go shopping...got a father and niece with birthdays coming up. So my point is...God provides what we need. I needed a little "help" this week...and I got it. I might even have enough money to play hockey tomorrow morning or at least go out on a date this weekend!

Okay...Foundation for a Better Life/Church of Latter Day Saints message over...back to focusing on womanizing!!
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-08-2015 at 01:44 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Great bowling bro! Did you ever calculate your annual bowling expense? I figured my is at $2500 a year, and I'm just becoming a 150 (147.5 as we speak) average guy, lol.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by NYMIKE View Post
    Great bowling bro! Did you ever calculate your annual bowling expense? I figured my is at $2500 a year, and I'm just becoming a 150 (147.5 as we speak) average guy, lol.
    Just don't even go there man I don't want to know.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by NYMIKE View Post
    Rough Estimate?

League Dues (2 leagues): $2,256
    Side Pots: $288
    Brackets: $600
    Mystery Score: $24
    Beverages/Food: $480
    Sweeps (2x/year): $1000 (gas, lodging, food, gambling, etc...)
    Tournaments/Pro-Ams/Clinics: $615
    Private Lessons: $700
    Practice: $416
    Equipment: $400
    Attire: $90

So, for one full year of bowling, with practice, with lessons, with 2 leagues, both sweepers, occasional small tournaments....Grand Total = $6,769. Rough estimate. I'd say if I had to guess a round number...it's probably a $7,000/year habit. It seems like a big number, but if you add up your costs the way I did...I bet you spend WAY more than you think!

Now that I'm going to Mark Baker once every 4 weeks...it could be higher. And if I were to do REAL tournaments...ABT, ABTA, TNBA, USBC Open, etc.. or God forbid PBA regional events....then we're talking serious, serious cash.
    Last edited by Aslan; 10-08-2015 at 07:49 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

So far 2 balls about $340
    summer league 12 weeks $15 a week $180
    fall league 35 weeks $21 a week $735
    Coaching so far 12 lessons $20 a lesson $240 lets say before the end of the year another $60 to $100
    Practices $20 to $30 a week so lets say $1200
    I don't gamble, I rarely drink alcohol at the alleys, probably less than $100, food is a different story I eat 4 meals a day, out of which 2 are bought, I rarely but food at the alley, but it's a huge expense for me, but non bowling related.

Nice series, Aslan! This got me thinking about how much I spend too... rough (very rough) estimates are at $1500 for league, $500 for raffles/games (of which I normally come close to breaking even), $750 for food/drinks, maybe $250 for balls/equipment and $400 for practice. Oof... gets expensive if you look at it that way, $3400 before any amount coming back. And it's only going up...

Yeah. I think for most league bowlers...the number is probably close to $3000/league.

I spend a little more on equipment, lessons, tournaments, etc... than the average league bowler...but I tend to spend far less on booze/food.

My hard costs are done for now (ball, bags, shoes, etc)

One league a week ($15) and three practice games (2 are free so $2.35 for 1 paid game). Not bad. I don't bowl that much anymore. I used to go every other day but it was actually detrimental to my game.

Page 89 of 226 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399139189 ... LastLast