Page 220 of 226 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224 ... LastLast
Results 2,191 to 2,200 of 2255

Thread: Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Only one who might be able to give me some input (on my team) would be my wife, and that's only that I'm rushing or that I'm talking to myself too much - good that you have a teammate who can give you some assistance.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I have no idea how many times I’ve heard or read this but it’s a lot; ‘Every time you practice you should spend part of the time working on spares’.
    For me, its easy. Other than trying to figure out a new arsenal...which is rare...I ONLY practice spares. Practicing your shot is almost impossible given the effects of oil patterns on today's game. You'll end up trying to move way inside to battle oil that has been soaked up...or moving too far right trying to battle oil that has been pushed downlane by open bowlers. There's no sense to it...unless you're just working on form/timing...which I can do with a swing trainer.

Wednesday Night Established Men's League

Week 13

In first place, but missing our anchor and playing a team that got about 174 pins of handicap...essentially a 6th bowler worth of pins.

Was trying out my new speed control strategy...starting a foot closer to the foul line and moving back a half a foot each game...to battle my tendency to throw the ball too hard early on.

563 Series: 140-248 (clean)-175

S6 2, 6 3, X, X, S7 1, 7 -, X, 6 1, 9 /, X 8 1.
    Not sure if I adjusted my speed "too much" or if I just was having my usual game 1 struggles of trying to find my balance and timing. But, the same terrible results.

9 /, 9 /, X, 8 /, 9 /, X, X, X, X, XXX.
    Switched from the Trident Odyssey (TO) to the Scorpion Sting (SS). Had to adjust much further right than I thought...despite dropping the TO surface to 4000 and increasing the SS surface to 3000. However, once I got dialed in, it was clear sailing. A couple lucky hits...but also some very good shots.

X, 9 /, X, S8 1, X, 9 /, 6 /, 9 /, 6 /, 9 /7.
    Stuck with the SS...but lost my line and could never get it back. However, I was bowling terribly, from an aim perspective, so it was more my mechanics and poor targeting than anything.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.74 pins
    Strikes: 44%
    Spares: 61% picked up

Single Pin spares: 100% (8/8)
    Most common single-pin leave: 2-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 5-pin, 7-pin, and 9-pin.

Makeable spares: 73% (11/15)
    Multiple Pin spares: 42% (3/7)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4-5 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 187.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: n/a

Positives
    - First clean game in awhile.
    - 100% on single-pin spares.
    - Team probably took about 3 points...won't know for sure until next week as we had a sub that was establishing.
    - First night winning TWO of the three card games!

Negatives
    - Another Game 1 flop!

I can't really come away from this game with a negative outlook. Any night I can bowl a clean game is a good night. And, any game I can go 100% on single-pins is a good night. Would I prefer to have more than one game above my average? Yes. It's irritating to have a 108 point swing from game to game. But, the goods outweighed the bad tonight.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 172; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I tried to see if there was any data to support that I "clearly" bowl better in Game 1, Game 2, or Game 3...or vice versa.

The findings weren't as clear as I had hoped:

Game 1 I averaged 180 versus Game 2 177. The statistical means were also similar: 178 versus 173 respectively. Game 1 and Game 2 also saw 3 games (each) that were < 150.

Game 1 had a lower standard deviation and variance meaning my Game 1 scores were much more consistent than Game 2/Game 3.

While I threw 7 games > 200 in Game 1, 5 (of those 7) were in the 203-212 range.

Game 2 had a similar average and mean to Game 1, but a similar standard deviation and variance as Game 3.

Game 3 was clearly better with an average of 195, mean of 194, and 12 games > 200 with only 1 game under 150.

As for trends, Games 2 and 3 I am trending in an upward trajectory, where as my Game 1 scores seem to be getting worse (downward trend).

AVERAGES
    Game 1: 180
    Game 2: 177
    Game 3: 195

The million dollar question is..."what gives?" Why would a bowler do better in Game 3?

There's lots of potential answers.

1) Game 1 and Game 2 are "practice"...and by Game 3 I've found my line and my timing/form is best.
    2) Speed. You see this with thumbless bowlers...they start out great, but by game 3 they are out of gas. There's so much more "moving parts" with the cranker/thumbless delivery, that it's easy to get "worn out". Maybe my struggles are the opposite? I start out firing the ball at 15-17mph...without the rev rate to get the ball back to the pocket...but by Game 3 I've settled into a more manageable 11-14mph range. Maybe.

Currently, I'm dealing with issue #2 by changing my starting position on the approach...which is a trick my coach taught me. The closer you are to the foul line, the lower your speed. Vice versa if you start further back.

One way I could deal with item #1...is to come to league night early and throw a couple games...just to warm-up. On a 5-man team, you're lucky if you get 4 warm-up shots in 7-10 minutes. Maybe I need more warm-up? Makes sense. Granted, it'd be difficult to do on Wednesdays...where I'm already rushing to get home, get changed, and get to the alley. But, maybe I can try that on Sundays.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I've always contended that I bowl better in game 3 because that's usually when I switch from seltzer to beer....
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    I've always contended that I bowl better in game 3 because that's usually when I switch from seltzer to beer....
    That's entirely possible. My old Anaheim Hills team used to swear that I bowled better when I was drunk/drinking. I tend to bowl better relaxed, so it's possible that alcohol could lead to a more relaxed form.

Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 14

583 Series: 163-219 (clean)-201

Started with the Trident Odyssey (TO) in Game 1. I had to move in a little. The new 500/Step 1/Step 2 surface didn't seem to allow me to use that ball in the 6-7 board area. Not a 'terrible' game, but the open on a 10-pin in the 9th really hurt me.
    X, S8 -, 7 -, X, 6 /, X, X, 6 /, 9 -, S8 /6.

Switched to the Scorpion Sting (SS) for Game 2...which meant a semi-significant move to the right. Almost had my first ever Dutch 200! Missed it by striking in the 8th.
    X, 7 / X, 9 /, X, 8 /, X, X, X, 9 /X.

Continued with the SS...but the lanes were transitioning a bit by now. Was REALLY hoping for a second clean game in the same night...which, if I HAVE done that...it's been so rare and so long ago I don't remember it.
    X, 7 /, X, X, 7 /, 8 /, 9 -, X, X, 9 /9.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.85 pins
    Strikes: 48%
    Spares: 73% picked up

Single Pin spares: 60% (3/5)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 4-pin.

Makeable spares: 76% (10/13)
    Multiple Pin spares: 87% (7/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 1-2-4 washout (2x)

Splits: 50% (1/2)

Average over 3 games: 194.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 201.67.

Positives
    - Team took all 4 points.
    - Added a pin to my average.
    - Clean game.

Negatives
    - Too many "pushes" right that lef to multi-pin leaves.
    - Clean game was only a 219...pretty low for a clean game.
    - Spare Shooting not 'horrid', but still needs improvement.
    - Don't think I can last a full Fall/Winter season with my right knee strained/sprained the way it is.

New approach to my inconsistent ball speed is working. Keeping my ball in the 12-14mph range.

Week 14

In first place, but facing a high average team.

Their team annoyed me early, before warm-up, when one of their bowlers made some offhand comment about bowlers bringing so many balls to the lanes. Then, he cut in front of me during warm-ups because he was under the illusion that each team had to line up on each side accordion to their lane assignment. In other words, since me and a teammate were actually ready when the lanes got turned on for practice, we were going to start practicing...him on the left lane and me on the right. But, the opposing bowler felt we re supposed to all line up the left lane. Stupid. He just seemed like an aggravating guy that kinda uses it to his advantage in competition..kinda like a older, fatter, far less talented, Pete Weber.

529 Series: 183-168-178

X, 7 -, X, 9 /, 6 -, X , 9 -, X, X, XX9.
    Made a couple bad shots...couldn't pick up a spare...not a good recipe for high scoring.

9 /, X, 9 /, X, 8 -, 9 -, X, X, 8 /, S6 3.
    Stuck with the Trident Odyssey (TO). Similar to Game 1, just had a bad open on a split in the 10th.

X, X, X, S8 -, X, 9 -, X, 7 /, S8 1, 9 /9.
    Switched to the Force Pearl (FP) for Game 3. More of the same. I was well inside of my comfort zone, targeting 12-14 and standing 7-11 boards left of center.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.06 pins
    Strikes: 48%
    Spares: 40% picked up

Single Pin spares: 57% (4/7)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 3-pin, 7-pin, and 6-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 50% (6/12)
    Multiple Pin spares: 40% (2/5)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/3)

Average over 3 games: 176.33.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 188.00.

Positives
    - Team won all 4 points, against a very good team.

Negatives
    - No 200+ games.
    - Bowled below my average all 3 games.
    - Spare shooting needs urgent improvement.

Was gonna stay afterwards to work on my spare shooting, but there was a huge line of kids that came in as leagues were ending. Plus, I didn't know if it would be good for my knee. Probably a good choice given today I can barely get on and off the couch. Maybe I'll go over early on Sunday and throw a couple low-ball games before Sunday night leagues.

Sunday Night Established Mixed League

Week 15

Wasn't sure if I should go or not...right knee was a disaster over the holiday weekend and I think I caught either Covid, the Flu, bronchitis, sinus infection, or a bad cold. But, I'm the Sunday team's best bowler and I didn't want to let them down...and who knows? Sometimes I bowl better when I'm sick or hurting...so, maybe.

536 Series: 157-201-178

Had to move left a lot more and a lot sooner than usual. That's not a good sign for my game. But, it was horrible spare shooting that hurt me.
    X, X, 8 /, X, 9 -, 8 /, 9 -, 9 -, X, 7 -.

Switched from the Trident Odyssey to the Force Pearl in the 5th. It just seemed like maybe the center had applied a fresh pattern, but didn't clean the lane/backend first...and there's always a danger of carry down after a holiday weekend....with so many people throwing plastic balls over the holiday weekend. Not sure if the ball change worked or not, because I magically figured out how to pick up a spare in Game 2...which helped the score considerably.
    S8 -, 9 /, 9 /, 7 /, X, X, 9 /, 9 /, X, X9 /.

Something just wasn't working with my line. Any little miss or change in how much hand I got in the shot seemed to cause the ball to react excessively.
    S7 -, 9 /, X, 6 2, 8 /, 7 /, X, X, 8 /, 9 /X.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 8.88 pins
    Strikes: 37%
    Spares: 65% picked up

Single Pin spares: 70% (7/10)
    Most common single-pin leaves: 10-pin (4x)
    Also left a single 2-pin, 5-pin, 6-pin (2x), and 7-pin (2x).

Makeable spares: 72% (13/18)
    Multiple Pin spares: 75% (6/8)
    Most common multi-pin leave: n/a

Splits: 0% (0/2)

Average over 3 games: 178.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 189.33.

Positives
    - I survived...had to take the day off today as I can't stop coughing..but I survived Sunday night bowling.
    - Spare shooting improved after Game 1.

Negatives
    - Spare shooting needs to better than 70%.
    - A sub-40% strike rate is terrible.
    - The team we played pretty much crushed us and took all 4 points.

Need to touch up the surfaces on the Odyssey and Force Pearl...gonna try and keep the surfaces more stable and figure out how I need to adjust rather than continuing to try and dull down the Odyssey and add surface to the other 3 balls.

Week 15

In first place, but facing another high average team.

I had the day off and got to the lanes a little early. So, I got to stretch a little more and spent 3-5 minutes using the Eileen's swing trainer.

638 Series: 210-193-235

8 /, X, X, 9 -, 9 /, X, X, X, X, S7 1.
    Pretty much up the 9-board on both lanes. The 210 was nice. BUT...you'll notice that had I been able to pick up a corner pin...it would have been 220. And, had I not opened on a 4-7-10 split (that I almost picked up), it could have been more like 230. However, I struck in the 3rd and 9th, which meant I was 1/3 of the way to winning the "Strike-O-Mania".

X, X, X, X, X, 9 -, X, 9 -, 8 1, 9 -.
    Moved in to the 9-10 area. Nice to have the front 5. Nice to make 1st and 5th to stay alive in "Strike-O-Mania". NOT so nice to miss every single spare conversion in the game...including in the 9th and 10th.

X, 8 1, X, X, X, X, X, X, X, 9 -.
    Moved in a little; targeting 10-12. Needed to strike in the 2nd and first frame of the 10th to win "Strike-O-Mania". So, that didn't work out so well. BUT...if I got a second strike in the 10th, I would get .75 cents from each teammate (for 9-in a row). If I struck OUT...I'd get $1 from each teammate...I'd tie my career highest game (268)...AND I'd throw my first ever 10-in-a-row.

But, instead, I left a 10-pin...missed it...same old story.

PinPal Stats:
    First Ball Average: 9.50 pins
    Strikes: 66%
    Spares: 20% picked up

Single Pin spares: 16% (1/6)
    Most common single-pin leave: 10-pin (3x)
    Also left a single 4-pin, 7-pin, and 8-pin.

Makeable spares: 22% (2/9)
    Multiple Pin spares: 33% (1/3)
    Most common multi-pin leave: 6-10 (2x)

Splits: 0% (0/1)

Average over 3 games: 212.67.
    Average had I picked up all single-pin spares: 231.33.

Positives
    - Highest series this season.
    - All 3 games above my average.
    - New surface (800/Step 1) on the Trident Odyssey worked well.

Negatives
    - Team only managed to take 1 of 4 points.
    - Obviously, spare shooting was abysmal.
    - All those strikes and I didn't win ONE card game!

Made both my single-pin spares during practice...so it was even more upsetting that I couldn't BUY a spare all night. The only single-pin I picked up was an 8-pin. The only other spare was a 6-10...the other 6-10 I chopped. Even though it might risk my knee, I gotta set aside some time to practice spares. This is ridiculous.

Staying in the same 2.5 board area and only using the one ball kept things simple. Not all the strikes were "beauties". A couple were kinda garbage and 2-3 were Brooklyn. I also took advantage of some nice THS miss room to the right. BUT...I also got robbed of some nice pocket hits that instead (of strikes) resulted in 10-pins, a 7-pin, and a stone 8.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Nit picking and some random thoughts/observations:

Had you made that corner pin in game 1 your score would have been 221 since you were working on a strike in the third.

Just a guess, but I think the same conditions that led to your higher than normal scores meant a lot better pin carry for the other team.

It seems like some times , if I get a lot of strikes, it feels like my spare shooting improves as well. It might be on those occasions I’m leaving easier spares to shoot. Other times it’s like after 4 or 5 strikes in a row I forget how to shoot a spare. An then of course there are those days where I couldn’t buy a double, and after a game and a half of shooting two spares for every strike I start missing easy spares.🙄
    John

Just a guess, but I think the same conditions that led to your higher than normal scores meant a lot better pin carry for the other team.
    Hard to say. The other team bowled great...but 3 of the 5 bowlers on my team bowled like ****. We've managed to hold onto 1st place...mainly because we don't have bad "team games". Usually when 1-3 people are bowling well, there's a couple that aren't...but it's never the whole team having a bad night. The same can be said for why we never have amazingly great nights...I don't think we've ever had a night yet where all 5 of us bowl above our average.

It seems like some times , if I get a lot of strikes, it feels like my spare shooting improves as well. It might be on those occasions I’m leaving easier spares to shoot. Other times it’s like after 4 or 5 strikes in a row I forget how to shoot a spare. And then of course there are those days where I couldn’t buy a double, and after a game and a half of shooting two spares for every strike I start missing easy spares.🙄
    Well...I don't know what my deal is. When I got regular coaching, I was picking up single-pins in the 75-80% range...and IMPROVING. AND...if I DID start to have issues....it would get corrected by practice and my next coaching session.

And the BIGGEST (I'd bold that word and attach all kinds of balloons and firework emojis to it if I knew how) reasons I miss spares is two-fold:

1) I tend to square my shoulders at the foul line rather than keep my shoulder pointed toward the pin I'm trying to pick up. So I miss probably 90% inside. And when I try to "correct" that...I over-correct and thats the 10% of the time I dump it in the gutter.

2) And it won't offend me if RobM agrees with this...because nearly every single teammate I've ever had knows its true...I'm a "head case". I have a tendency to over-think everything and am very mathematical in my approach. I keep notes, I write down my positions and targets on each lane, I have a very regimented way to adjust and a very specific ball progression.

Part of this is that doing these things corrected a lot of my early flaws. We've all seen beginners that start in different places every time they get on the approach...then can't figure out why they are so inconsistent. I used to have a "benchmark ball" and then I'd try to change to another ball...but it was very arbitrary and inaccurate. I didn't understand anything about ball technology/specifications...so all my balls were sanded down to like 500 Abralon...thinking that I could make them hook more that way (versus learning how to bowl properly). Taking a more deliberate, specific, regimented approach allowed me to fix a lot of those issues.

'Part' of it is that I'm autistic. Not wearing a helmet or being able to count cards like Rainmain or like a psycho killer accountant...nor can I just pick up any incident and start playing it. Nothing 'cool' like that. It's more just a 'discomfort' when I don't have things the way I need them to be. Like, if I forget my notepad or my bowling towel...or I'm sweating alot and didn't bring a fan or towel to wipe my face. Any little oversight can cause my anxiety to skyrocket. I don't how many bowling towels I've bought at pro shops, the night of bowling, because I forgot mine. Now I have a stack of probably 30 of them...yet, I still will occasionally forget one.

My teammates swear that I bowl better when I'm drinking. To most people, that is just teammates trying to get you drunk or get you to start buying rounds/shots/etc... But, for me, there is 'some' validity to it. Getting even a slight "buzz" tends to get me "out of my own head". Marijuana is more effective and doesn't tend to be as drastic...which is probably part of the reason I did so well back in 2016 when I could smoke a little before league night...since I was walking distance from the alley.

Anyway...long story, long....once I miss a single-pin...or chop a makeable multi-pin spare...I tend to be less likely to pick up the next one. And the more that continues...the worse it gets. "Self-Talk" doesn't seem to work, because it ends up being a "self-argument". If I MAKE that first one...second one...third one...I end up sub-consciously talking myself off the ledge. And then, missing one isn't the end of the world. But if I start chopping buckets, missing 2-pins or 8/9-pins...it's gonna be a LONG night.

Fortunately, last night I struck about 2/3 of the time...so I never got into that downward spiral.

Page 220 of 226 FirstFirst ... 120170210216217218219220221222223224 ... LastLast