Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A video I shot last week.

Default A video I shot last week.

I'd love your input on my form/approach/etc. I chose a "diagonal video" for this. This is mostly for critique purposes, but it can also be your enjoyment of my video editing skills and music choices.

Also, feel free to check out THIS video to see how I improved over the so many months I had bowled up until June of this year. This video as of now is mostly reserved for your enjoyment. (I promise, I wasn't trying to put out a plug for my channel or anything, heheheheheh. )

I do notice some really weird things with my approach though. I'm sure you can make a guess as to what those are.

I've been told my form looks good for not having bowled regularly for that long. Agree? Disagree?

Chats: 204

I think ya look great!!

Wait...how old are you? Freshman in 2011...doing math...*$&^ Dang you Chris Hansen!! I'm onto your tricks! You won't trick me again!!
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

"Is he an undercover cop?" I am sixteen and...nah, I'm not an undercover cop. Or am I?

Whooooa, thread derail.

NEW VID NEW VID NEW VID! It's from the same exact practice session that day. I hope anyone watching will notice my somewhat weaker shot(s).

Whaddya think?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Bowler View Post
    "Is he an undercover cop?" I am sixteen and...nah, I'm not an undercover cop. Or am I?

Whooooa, thread derail.

NEW VID NEW VID NEW VID! It's from the same exact practice session that day. I hope anyone watching will notice my somewhat weaker shot(s).

Whaddya think?
    That's the same board I play. Looks like your 'yanking' it left too much.

Chats: 4

I'm not claiming to be an expert here, but I can share some of the advice I've received on my own form. Overall your form looks good, though.

It looks like your wrist is breaking as you start your backswing. You start your swing by holding the ball with your forearm parallel to the ground, which puts stress on the forearm before you even move the ball. Instead, try standing on the approach relaxed, holding the ball closer to your body, and then begin your swing with a pushaway that keeps your hand under the ball. Norm Duke harps on this a lot if you watch his videos. Allowing the wrist to bend backwards prevents acceleration through the armswing and also takes away a lot of potential for revs on the ball.

Also, you could bend your knees a bit earlier. It seems that your slide step is when you get lower to the lane. Your knees should already be bent on the second to last step, so you can push off the right foot into your slide. Once you begin your forward armswing, try not to change your height from the floor much.

That said, you have a nice follow through and balance at the foul line. That's definitely a big plus. hth

Cranker

A more crouched and balanced starting stance might help you out. Your form does look very good though.

Chats: 506

you need to get lower would to see you add a slide also your time is a little late i congrat you u waiting on the ball over all good few things

i wouldnt worrie about your wrist right now your young for all we know your ball may be a tad to heavy for you the wrist thing will come

timing
    slide
    knee bend

work on these things if u need help working on them please feel free to send me a massage or respond here
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

I do/did see that I have too little knee bend going into the slide and REALLY dive down. That was one of the oddities of my approach!

My hand position/rev rate isn't a whole lot of concern for me, considering I haven't enough experience/skill to start focusing on that.

Actually, I don't plant, but I used to up until I'd been bowling for about 6 months. Unless you mean that my slide needs to be longer??

As for the timing bit...I've had lots of remarks about having late timing...well, on forums, that is. In real life, I've been told that my timing is decent. I'm not sure what to believe, haha.

I actually DID try too hard to keep the ball in play during one or two shots, hence my "yanking" the ball.

Overall, I find your critiques very useful!

Chats: 326

How much does the ball weigh? The way your wrist breaks starting your down swing makes me believe it's too heavy. If the balls you are throwing weigh more than 14 pounds, I'd go down to 14. I wouldn't go below 14 though. If it is 14 pounds, I'd suggest getting your strength up in that wrist and arm.

The form is there but you don't look like you're getting a lot of hand in the ball and not getting a lot of revs, which isn't really a terrible thing if you just play the down-and-in shot. However, being that you're young and still learning, I would suggest learning how to get more revs on the ball, which can done by various hand/wrist positions and during the swing. A coach would be very helpful in teaching you how to do that, but if you can't afford that, I'd suggest watching youtube videos from some of the greats teaching how that is done, or watching slow-mo releases from the pros on youtube.

Another thing, before you push the ball away and you are in your set stance, put the weight of the ball in your left hand, and have your right hand in the holes with your right hand being on the side of the ball instead of under it. Then when you push away, rotate the ball with your left hand as your pushing so your hand then comes under it. Norm Duke has videos on youtube demonstrating this as well.

Lastly, if you ever do build your strength up, and build your revs up, then I'd suggest picking the speed up a little as well, but that kind of goes hand-in-hand with building up your strength.

I'm a skinny guy as well, and throw my 16 lb ball at about 21-22 MPH and people just don't know where I get the strength from by looking at me lol. We bowl very differently though, and a lot of my speed comes from my fast approach.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JaMau24 View Post
    I'm a skinny guy as well, and throw my 16 lb ball at about 21-22 MPH and people just don't know where I get the strength from by looking at me lol.
    Woah that's pretty quick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast