Thread: ROTO GRIP - TOTALLY DEFIANT Review

Default ROTO GRIP - TOTALLY DEFIANT Review

The layout selection used was based on the Storm VLS system and suggestions made by Mr. Steve Kloempken of Storm. My thanks to Mr. Kloempken for his suggestions, time and knowledge.

Ball specs – 15 lbs 4 oz, 2.69top weight, and 3 5/8 -inch pin.

The Totally Defiant was drilled with a low RG layout as follows; using Dual Angle terminology - 2.5 inch pin distance, 60 degree drill angle and a 40 degree VAL angle. Using Storm’s VLS methodology the layout is 2.5 X 6 X 1.5 pin buffer. An X-hole was needed and placed in the P2 location. The surface was left OOB which is 1500 polished.

The HP4 line Totally Defiant is asymmetrical, has a pearl cover stock and an eye catching color scheme. The Totally Defiant was thrown on a fresh USBC White #2 pattern along with the Defiant Edge with a high RG layout (60 degree drill X 5 inch pin X 30 degree VAL). The pearl cover stock allowed the quick revving Totally Defiant to provide about two additional feet of length than the Defiant Edge but the Edge had a more angular breakpoint shape. Don’t get me wrong here. The Totally Defiant still had plenty of hook, recovery and hit on the backend but with the low RG layout the down lane motion was smoother. This is what I was trying to achieve. A Totally Defiant with its pearl cover, drilled with a high RG layout (longer pin and smaller VAL angle – dual angle system, longer pin and smaller pin buffer – Storm VLS) would be just as clean but more angular down lane than what I experienced and probably stronger than the Defiant EDGE.

With the selected layout, the Totally Defiant will allow me to play with more closed angles and closer to the friction on fresh medium to medium/heavy conditions.

John Brodersen
    RG amateur staff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by John Brodersen; 09-27-2013 at 04:33 PM.