Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Contest Dec 23, 2013 to Dec 29, 2013 - Hammer Cold Blood

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    You havent had any ball crack on you yet have you. I have had 3 balls crack in the last year and two was just sitting in my closet with one being undrilled

WHAT!!? What kinda crack arse balls are you buying?? I have NOT had a ball crack yet. I would think they'd crack from me high lofting them or firing them 20mph at the pins…more so than just sitting in my closet. Unless you live in an igloo. Do you live in an igloo?
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I had a brand new one week old DV8 Hellraiser Revenge crack while bowling came back from the ball return cracked all the way around
    A frantic sitting on the floor in the closet
    A undrilled Meanstreak Brawler cracked on the floor in the closet

The Hellraiser was replaced by the proshop The other two I bought off someone else so there was no warranty
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

My Frantic is sorta like your strike zone. It just seemed to work well the way I was throwing it. And then, of course, as a newbie…I went and messed with it. I scuffed it up trying to get more reaction out of it…essentially trying to make a low-medium oil ball…drilled conservatively…to act like a heavy oil, pro-performance ball drilled aggressively. And, as you can imagine…that didn't work well. It made it react too early on low oil. And it made it less predictable as a straight ball on heavier oil. Rookie mistake.

But, it's polished back up now…and working good again. Now it's a matter of my release. I do well with a higher loft, higher rev, higher speed release. It's not "typical"…but there are very good amateur bowlers that do well with that type of release. Or…I can continue working on my more conventional release…that has improved a great deal and will be more necessary as my center transitions to slicker lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    I had a brand new one week old DV8 Hellraiser Revenge crack while bowling came back from the ball return cracked all the way around
    A frantic sitting on the floor in the closet
    A undrilled Meanstreak Brawler cracked on the floor in the closet

The Hellraiser was replaced by the proshop The other two I bought off someone else so there was no warranty
    Weird. I have never heard of that.

I have seen them crack sitting on the shelves in the proshop happens all the time
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

I've had balls that I've quit using and stored them in a hot shed with temps rising into the 90's and have never had a ball crack.

I think it has something to do with the oil setting into the ball. But I personally have never had one of mine crack.
    Proud Member of Bowlingboards.com.Average-166 High Series-613 High Game-256 In The Bag:Storm Lights Out, Storm Optimus, Columbia 300 White Dot.
    Clean Games:10 Tournament Bag: Ebonite Pivot Point, Storm Lights Out, Marvel S and Polar Ice, Hammer Spike.

For a solid resin ball to crack…it would need some type of stress. And then something to trigger it to crack. Change in temperature…the ball hitting the lane, etc… But for a resin to spontaneously crack…with no temperature or force applied. Just weird. It would be like a plate sitting on a shelf in your kitchen…suddenly it cracks. Just odd. I mean, when they crack like that (tccs), is it at the join where the two halves come together?? I mean, I guess that could be a factory defect…improper adhesion. Weird.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    For a solid resin ball to crack…it would need some type of stress. And then something to trigger it to crack. Change in temperature…the ball hitting the lane, etc… But for a resin to spontaneously crack…with no temperature or force applied. Just weird. It would be like a plate sitting on a shelf in your kitchen…suddenly it cracks.
    They crack because the coverstock is placed under tension as it cures and shrinks slightly around a non-compressable core. Once a crack starts it's the tension in the cover material that causes it to propagate around the ball.

Things that can start a crack:
    Temperature Changes
    Gravity
    you let the ball sit too long without rotating it.
    the glue used to put the inserts in
    the glue was placed on the cover stock not the filler
    too much glue was used
    the holes not beveled
    bad plug job
    the bit they drilled the holes with was dull
    Drilled the holes too fast
    the bridge is too narrow
    the holes are to close to the pin

and undrilled balls can just split on the shelf, in the closet etc., just not as often as drilled ones but it does happen.

If you leave a ball setting on a hard surface, in ball cup or rack without moving it . They can develop flat spots.

Just odd. I mean, when they crack like that (tccs), is it at the join where the two halves come together?? I mean, I guess that could be a factory defect…improper adhesion. Weird.
    They can't crack at the join of the two halves, because the ball isn't made in halves and stuck together.

They suspend the core in a mold and the coverstock is poured around it. So the cover is one piece.

Now a core can separate from the coverstock, your can hear it rattle inside when it does.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-29-2013 at 09:32 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowl1820 may hate me…but he IS smarter than the average bear…I'll give him that.

I was thinking undrilled. Obviously, drilling in and of itself is a stressor just like temperature and impact.

But…for some reason I thought the balls were put together in "halves"….so ya learn something new every day!!

Now tcc is making me paranoid. Im gonna be scared by balls in the closet are going to spontaneously explode before I get a chance to even drill/use them.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast