Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Iceman thought he was FINISHED BOWLING!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman thought he was FINISHED BOWLING!!

My wife and me went to Pre bowl so we could watch the Denver/New England game today.... (Go New England), and I bowled a 163, 176... and at that point I set down to check my pulse!! I thought I might be having the big one!

It was Fresh oil, had not been used, and I was having a hard time getting a fricken Strike!!!! I told my wife well, This Is IT,,, my last day of bowling league!!!!!!!

I was putting good rev's on the ball, was hitting my FRICKEN MARK, but nothing! The balls were all in good shape, surface, used my most aggressive balls, the Freight train, (matte),, and my Virtual Gravity nano!

NOTHING!!! VERY WEAK GOING toward the pocket!! I was embarrassed,,, had my usual fan club of kids watching, thinking I was Santa bowling in the off season... each waiting for a Santa Clause Strike, which didn't happen but a couple times! The look on their faces, was like the kids that got Coal for Christmas!!

Well, just when I thought it might be time to go to the hospital, James, the local Pro Shop guy came in through the door to practice.

He said that all the lanes had a Sports Pattern called: ( The White Pattern)!!

God was I glad to HEAR THAT!!!

I went to the front desk and the manager was new, and didn't know that their was a difference between the house pattern and the sports patterns!

I told him we did not want to Pre Bowl on a fresh sports pattern for a house pattern league!!!!

Anyway, we did not have to use those scores, and will either pre bowl today/Sunday, or just carry our average!

We did bowl two more game on that White Pattern, and believe me all you guys with 220/230 averages, on sports leagues are TRUE BOWLING GODS!! It puts the SPORT BACK into the game of bowling! It gives you a NEW APPRECIATION of what the SPORT OF BOWLING COULD BE if they required different patterns each and every week!

It would give new Value to the 300, and 800 game! (Not to mention it would cut the numbers of award games down a WHOLE BUNCH!!) ((maybe then they would be GOLD, with a huge 3 carrot diamond in the center))

I now want to find a sports league this summer, REAL BAD!! I want to learn the HOW's of bowing like the Big Boys!!

Pro's make it look so easy!! And maybe it is if you have their skill, and knowledge! Knowledge, is Power!

iceman has a LONG WAYS to go in regards to Sports Patterns! But nothing in life worth having is EASY!!

BRING IT ON, Says ICEMAN!!!! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    My wife and me went to Pre bowl so we could watch the Denver/New England game today.... (Go New England), and I bowled a 163, 176... and at that point I set down to check my pulse!! I thought I might be having the big one!

It was Fresh oil, had not been used, and I was having a hard time getting a fricken Strike!!!! I told my wife well, This Is IT,,, my last day of bowling league!!!!!!!.................

I went to the front desk and the manager was new, and didn't know that their was a difference between the house pattern and the sports patterns!

I told him we did not want to Pre Bowl on a fresh sports pattern for a house pattern league!!!!

Anyway, we did not have to use those scores, and will either pre bowl today/Sunday, or just carry our average!
    Lets see you pre-bowled didn't like the scores. So your not going to use them and get to rebowl them on a easier pattern or just use your blind instead.

Any league I've been on or see that would never be allowed , if that story got out there would be a Riot!!!

There would be so many accusations of cheating you'd never hear the end of it.

And I'd agree that wouldn't be right, if you started a pre bowl session those low scores should stand and you take your lumps .

As for the White Pattern, I believe it's not technically a Sport pattern because it has around a 4 or 5:1 ratio (unless its been changed) . But it does have a higher volume than most THS and more oil out near the gutter and longer (41').

I suspect you didn't have enough surface on your ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 01-19-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 256

The usbc white pattern is just a modified house pattern. The tournament in Tulsa I bowled in was on this pattern and is the pattern I got my last 300 game on.

For prebowl and post bowl you have to use whatever the center puts down. They cannot guarantee any pattern or even oil on the lanes. You are at the mercy of the center as they are accommodating you on an off day or time from your normal league.

I agree with Bowl1820, never had a league where you were able to bowl pre or post and not submit scores that you bowled.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Blog Entries

I was NOT TOLD that all the lanes had FRESH Sports Pattern OIL! If I would simply been told, the whole situation would NOT HAVE HAPPENED! I know the difference between sports and easy house oil!

I think the manager should have told me!! I ask him why he didn't mention it was sports oil, and he said: "Whats the difference"!

Hey HAS this ever happened to someone else???

I was not trying to cheat, I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THE OIL was SPORTS OIL!!

I would not have stopped bowling due to low scores on a house pattern!! And If the league thinks what happen to me is just to bad, then so be it! I WOUNDER HOW OFTEN THIS HAPPENS, a person comes to pre bowl, and is not told that the oil is sports pattern!

ICEMAN does not cheat,,,, as far as I am concerned, I could give a rats ask, about the whole thing!! Its VERY low on my lifes priorities!!!

I will talk to the league president, and explain what happened, If he thinks I should take a lose for the 4 games, then so be it! LIFE WILL GO ON! I am VERY UPSET with the management for not TELLING ME!!

Remember, I just ask if it was FAIR me not being told that I would be pre bowling on sports oil!

IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK?
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    The usbc white pattern is just a modified house pattern. The tournament in Tulsa I bowled in was on this pattern and is the pattern I got my last 300 game on.

For prebowl and post bowl you have to use whatever the center puts down. They cannot guarantee any pattern or even oil on the lanes. You are at the mercy of the center as they are accommodating you on an off day or time from your normal league.

I agree with Bowl1820, never had a league where you were able to bowl pre or post and not submit scores that you bowled.

OK,,, I am new to bowling and I can see I have a lot to learn! This was a learning experience. I am calling the AMF today and dropping out of the Big 22 league. End of discussion... One thing I will never be a part of is cheating in any way SHAPE or FORM!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I was NOT TOLD that all the lanes had FRESH Sports Pattern OIL!

I think the manager should have told me!! I ask him why he didn't mention it was sports oil, and he said: "Whats the difference"!

Hey HAS this ever happened to someone else???

I was not trying to cheat, I WAS NOT TOLD THAT THE OIL was SPORTS OIL!!
    Did you ask before you started? They aren't required to tell you whats out there. Now a sharp counter man might give you a heads up if they knew.

But Like vdubtx said
    "For prebowl and post bowl you have to use whatever the center puts down. They cannot guarantee any pattern or even oil on the lanes. You are at the mercy of the center as they are accommodating you on an off day or time from your normal league. "

I didn't think you were cheating, just saying if someone heard that story look out.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Now for a tip

Unless it's busy when you come in to prebowl/post bowl and are limited to just those games .

Come in a little early, Bowl a practice game or two to get warmed up and get a read on the lanes before you do the actual for score games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Did you ask before you started? They aren't required to tell you whats out there. Now a sharp counter man might give you a heads up if they knew.

But Like vdubtx said
    "For prebowl and post bowl you have to use whatever the center puts down. They cannot guarantee any pattern or even oil on the lanes. You are at the mercy of the center as they are accommodating you on an off day or time from your normal league. "

I didn't think you were cheating, just saying if someone heard that story look out.
    I DON'T Cheat!! Yes, I did ask the mgr, if he had any fresh oil! HE SAID YES 17 and 18 had not been bowled on!
    This is the manager that said to me after the fact, that he didn't know there was a difference... My wife was standing there when he said it!

I understand, that you take what's given on PRE BOWL,,, I UNDERSTAND THAT COMPLETLY!! But this goes into another area completely. If your the manager of a bowling lane, YOU SHOULD KNOW THE difference between a House pattern, and Sports!

This is the first time I have ever had to Pre-Bowl, and what a FRICKEN learning experience!!!!!

I know the questions to ask in the future NOW!! YES worn out house oil,,,, not knowing the condition of burned up oil is one thing. But not telling a pre bowler that the lanes are fresh, or even used sports oil should be a given!!

This has upset me VERY MUCH, and being honest, AND UPSET WITH WHAT HAPPENED, the best thing I can do is
    apologize, and drop out! I will still be bowling on 3 other leagues, but this one has a BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

This has upset me VERY MUCH, and being honest, AND UPSET WITH WHAT HAPPENED, the best thing I can do is
    apologize, and drop out! I will still be bowling on 3 other leagues, but this one has a BAD TASTE IN MY MOUTH!!
    No reason to drop out! If you finished the set just use those scores, if not just do whatever they tell you. Probably they'll say just take the blind and be done with it.. Live and learn.

I agree that you should have been told about the sports shot if you were pre-bowling and not just open bowling. In your 10 minutes of warm up you should have figured this out pretty quick that it wasn't your THS shot. But why QUIT a league because of your crappy scores on a hard shot? It isn't your leagues fault
    BowlingVids.com -- USBC Tennessee (2204-27181) California (222-32895)

IndexGenie.com -- In The Bag --> Roto Grip Wrecker - Roto Grip Hyper Cell - Storm Polar Ice Hybrid

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast