Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial ZDawg vs. Aslan Southern California Championship

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default Iceman knows who the best on this site is!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i think bowlingball should pay for us to get together and have a bowl off on sport shot and see whos really the best on the site =D

Under 60, The Dude, Jason! Without a doubt!! Over 60,,,, ICEMAN,,,, any of you who think different,,, buy me a ticket, and fly me out to your local lane, I will PROVE it! If I lose, I pay for the trip!

If we are talking a tournament here,,, why,,, WHY leave out the two top bowlers in their age groups,,, Jason, and Ice???

Jason and me want a piece of this pie!!!!!!!! Don't make it easy on yourselves..... !!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 506

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post
    Under 60, The Dude, Jason! Without a doubt!! Over 60,,,, ICEMAN,,,, any of you who think different,,, buy me a ticket, and fly me out to your local lane, I will PROVE it! If I lose, I pay for the trip!

If we are talking a tournament here,,, why,,, WHY leave out the two top bowlers in their age groups,,, Jason, and Ice???

Jason and me want a piece of this pie!!!!!!!! Don't make it easy on yourselves..... !!!
    They wont tell us what oil pattern they use and no age groups single game roll off to keep moving up all you gotta beat who ever is on the same pair lego winner gets to be on staff with them =D
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    A comment from your "hero" about reverse block conditions.
    Mike, I only have 2 comments about this…actually 3:

1) Thank you for quoting WRW…ANY thread is better when WRW is part of it.
    2) You don't KNOW it was a reverse block. It seems like that would be a very, very rare thing to walk into a relatively new lane and find them oiling a reverse block. That would be as rare as walking into a random lane and they just happen to be oiling a chameleon pattern. And since I HIHGLY doubt the person oiling the lanes even knows WTH a "reverse block" is…I really, really doubt that was the case.
    3) As I said before…there was no rule that you couldn't switch balls or throw differently. If the oil pattern is making your ball do something you don't like, use a different ball or throw differently. After that first game, you "seemed" to be back in business and finding your groove so it wasn't "impossible" to adjust. zdawg and I struggled as well early on with that pattern…took us even longer to get in our groove.

As I said in a previous post…I think if the lane conditions are really, really causing havoc…you do things to take the lane conditions out of play. Higher loft, higher speed, a lesser ball…whatever.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

2) You don't KNOW it was a reverse block. It seems like that would be a very, very rare thing to walk into a relatively new lane and find them oiling a reverse block. That would be as rare as walking into a random lane and they just happen to be oiling a chameleon pattern. And since I HIHGLY doubt the person oiling the lanes even knows WTH a "reverse block" is…I really, really doubt that was the case.
    3) As I said before…there was no rule that you couldn't switch balls or throw differently. If the oil pattern is making your ball do something you don't like, use a different ball or throw differently. After that first game, you "seemed" to be back in business and finding your groove so it wasn't "impossible" to adjust. zdawg and I struggled as well early on with that pattern…took us even longer to get in our groove.

As I said in a previous post…I think if the lane conditions are really, really causing havoc…you do things to take the lane conditions out of play. Higher loft, higher speed, a lesser ball…whatever.

Wow Aslan, I actually agree with you 100 percent on all 3 of your comments! GULP,,, maybe I need to go see a shrink!!!!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

You're right I don't KNOW it was a reverse block, it could have been some other freak oil pattern that showed all the same characteristics as a reverse block, but somehow was different. Maybe the left side was playable. What I do know is, the right side was VERY oily, and the center was much drier. And that is consistent with the reverse block.

You don't get a freshly oiled reverse block by accident. It has to be by incompetence.

As for #3, it goes back to what I said to Iceman in response to his Warrior comment.

If you want to use handicap, then the conditions we bowl on should be similar to those that the averages were obtained.

An excerpt from Bowling Execution by John Jowdey.

Page 27 - Reading and Adapting to the Lanes

Overcoming the Reverse Block

Anyone who bowls on a heavily used lane will eventually come across the
    reverse block oil pattern. This pattern is usually not deliberate; it develops
    through use of the lane, as bowlers throw the ball in the middle of the lane
    to avoid the gutters. This usage dries out the middle of the lane but leaves
    oily areas near the gutters, creating a reverse block. By contrast, the crown
    condition features heavy oil in the middle and dry areas near the sides.

The reverse block is by far the most difficult scoring condition for any
    bowler who throws a hook - and the greater the hook, the worse the
    scoring potential. Straight or back-up bowlers my be able to maintain close
    to normal averages, but even their scores will suffer as the lane continues
    to dry out. Since down-the-middle traffic never touches the outer parts of
    the lane, those boards, usually from the 2nd arrow outward, remain
    oily enough to cause balls thrown there to slide out, which often results
    in washouts or other splits and sometimes causes gutter balls. Any hook
    ball that touches the dry middle area will overbook wildly to the opposite
    side.

Although bowlers can use strategy to bowl better when facing this type
    of lane condition, overall scores are bound to be lower than with more
    favorable oil conditions. Since all bowlers on such lanes face the same
    problem, the most accurate bowler will usually wind up the winner, albeit
    with a score lower than usual.
    Zdawg, does this describe the conditions you faced at Temecula?

In the last section, he is referring to the winner as the highest scratch score.
    Last edited by Mike White; 03-09-2014 at 12:57 PM.

You don't get a freshly oiled reverse block by accident. It has to be by incompetence.
    I used to bowl in a center that is closed down now. After league some of us would stick around and bowl pot games. The owner would set up a different shot to make it harder. There were many times he put out a reverse block.
    Maybe the mechanic that oiled the lanes has a habit of putting up different shots for practice or open bowling and just picked that one for that day. One bowling center I bowl in used to set up different shots all the time on certain lanes.
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by tccstudent View Post
    I used to bowl in a center that is closed down now. After league some of us would stick around and bowl pot games. The owner would set up a different shot to make it harder. There were many times he put out a reverse block.
    Maybe the mechanic that oiled the lanes has a habit of putting up different shots for practice or open bowling and just picked that one for that day. One bowling center I bowl in used to set up different shots all the time on certain lanes.
    It's a center that is hurting for leagues (only 3 all week) the last thing they should do is chase off any potential league bowlers by putting out a shot like that.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

You're right I don't KNOW it was a reverse block, it could have been some other freak oil pattern that showed all the same characteristics as a reverse block, but somehow was different. Maybe the left side was playable. What I do know is, the right side was VERY oily, and the center was much drier. And that is consistent with the reverse block.

As for #3, it goes back to what I said to Iceman in response to his Warrior comment.

If you want to use handicap, then the conditions we bowl on should be similar to those that the averages were obtained.

Zdawg, does this describe the conditions you faced at Temecula?

In the last section, he is referring to the winner as the highest scratch score.
    Seems accurate, even though I throw it on the slow side (although I'm getting faster) I've NEVER had my ball over hook to that extent - and I bowl on 4 different lanes down here, some of which feel like they haven't been oiled in days. In fact, the reason why I brought my weak ball was just in case the lanes were going to be dry, but as you saw even the shots that I threw that initially looked "good" decided to hook an extra 10 - 12 boards - I've never had that reaction before, so it was definitely new to me.

Chats: 506

It's a center that is hurting for leagues (only 3 all week) the last thing they should do is chase off any potential league bowlers by putting out a shot like that.
    i rather have a hard shot then a easy one people who suck need thos crappy patterns to make them selfs feel better i refuse to bowl at some houses just cuz they have way to many 300's there i ex: bz around me prob has 2-5 300s a night and a lot of 800's i wont bowl there to easy when they bowled city none of them even finished in the top 10 scratch all there 230 240 avgs are inflated by a easy shot easy shots are funny in a sport where the balls have become so more advance then the game it self only hard shots should be out there
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i rather have a hard shot then a easy one people who suck need thos crappy patterns to make them selfs feel better i refuse to bowl at some houses just cuz they have way to many 300's there i ex: bz around me prob has 2-5 300s a night and a lot of 800's i wont bowl there to easy when they bowled city none of them even finished in the top 10 scratch all there 230 240 avgs are inflated by a easy shot easy shots are funny in a sport where the balls have become so more advance then the game it self only hard shots should be out there
    I don't mind people that only bowl in one house, to each their own.

For me personally, I've been involved in competitive athletics since the age of 6, so I am VERY competitive by nature which means I'm constantly looking to challenge myself. And yes I'm still a beginner, and don't have a 300 game quite yet, but that doesn't mean I want things to be easy. I started in September and didn't know anything about the sport whatsoever, I remember my buddy telling me to "buy a ball that hooks" whereas I never knew there was a difference between house balls and the balls that people buy - I've come a long way since then, LOL.

Once this league is finally over, and my job/living situation is settled, I plan on joining multiple leagues, including a sport league - I chalk up everything good or bad to part of the learning curve.

Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast