Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial ZDawg vs. Aslan Southern California Championship

Chats: 506

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    I don't mind people that only bowl in one house, to each their own.

For me personally, I've been involved in competitive athletics since the age of 6, so I am VERY competitive by nature which means I'm constantly looking to challenge myself. And yes I'm still a beginner, and don't have a 300 game quite yet, but that doesn't mean I want things to be easy. I started in September and didn't know anything about the sport whatsoever, I remember my buddy telling me to "buy a ball that hooks" whereas I never knew there was a difference between house balls and the balls that people buy - I've come a long way since then, LOL.

Once this league is finally over, and my job/living situation is settled, I plan on joining multiple leagues, including a sport league - I chalk up everything good or bad to part of the learning curve.
    i never blame oil for me bowling bad cuz if i didnt find a line and hit 100% of the time then i messed up people can bowl good on any lanes if there game matchs up to the oil and if it dont thats how you know you need to work on ur game instead people change house's or refuse to challenge them selfs
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i never blame oil for me bowling bad cuz if i didnt find a line and hit 100% of the time then i messed up people can bowl good on any lanes if there game matchs up to the oil and if it dont thats how you know you need to work on ur game instead people change house's or refuse to challenge them selfs
    I agree, but like I said there are plenty of people in my league alone that having been bowling in that league, in that house, for 10+ years and have no ambition for anything other than that. And I can see their point, but for me I plan to continually challenge myself otherwise there is no point for me, but I see things my way, and others see things their way - what's right for me, might not be right for the guy bowling against me on any given night I guess is my point.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    There is a difference between bowling bad, and scoring bad.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    Seems accurate, even though I throw it on the slow side (although I'm getting faster) I've NEVER had my ball over hook to that extent - and I bowl on 4 different lanes down here, some of which feel like they haven't been oiled in days. In fact, the reason why I brought my weak ball was just in case the lanes were going to be dry, but as you saw even the shots that I threw that initially looked "good" decided to hook an extra 10 - 12 boards - I've never had that reaction before, so it was definitely new to me.
    And when you missed a little right, the ball didn't hook at all.

I moved way in so there would be dry area both to the left, and right of my line to the pocket.

The problem was, there wasn't very much dry area to the right. So if I wanted to hit the right side of the head pin, I had to tempt fate by getting close to the wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    It's hard to convey emotion on the internet. Mike and I go at each other a lot but it's usually all in good fun. To be honest, I don't know if he's being serious about the character thing or not…if he's not then ha ha ha…good joke. But if he is, then come on…it's one thing to be a sore loser…but insulting a person's character is going a bit far.

It WAS very friendly and was cool to meet zdawg and bowl with MWhite. I think it's gotten a bit "hostile" because of how this thread has gone. Instead of comments about the tournament, there were a lot of attacks on me and sort of "egging Mike on"..which only makes me more intense to defend the validity of my victory…etc…etc…etc…

But having met Mike and spent hours and hours with him bowling, drilling balls, etc… I find it hard to believe that he'd get so ticked about losing. He's a fairly laid back dude in person. I know he and you have had your disagreements…but I chalk that up to 2 guys that have a lot of knowledge and opinion…and neither wants to necessarily admit they may be wrong. But yeah, I would be surprised if Mike was actually upset. I've never seen him upset.

Well zdawg, as I stated after MY VICTORY…I am open to a rematch. However;

1) I think we should wait until you've figured out which ball you want to have tri-grip drilled, so we can kill two birds with one stone. I don't think it's the miracle cure that Iceman testifies to (on a twice daily basis)…but I think there's a good chance you might like it.

2) I'd like to wait until at the EARLIEST April…but ideally until September. I want to make sure I am able to fully enjoy my victory/championship before immediately putting it up for grabs.

3) Mike would have to agree not to be a sore loser next time. I mean, are we going HAVE to bowl in HIS center?? If we bowl ANYWHERE else (Diamond Bar, Norco, AMF Riverside) will he AGAIN get defeated and claim the alley was tilted or impacted by an earthquake or had a crazy jackalope oil pattern or (insert any excuse imaginable)???? Because I don't know if I can take another round of "sore losing". : (

4) It's gonna take at LEAST 1 month to agree on what averages to use next time for handicap. I'm open to using our averages from the tournament AS LONG AS we're not bowling at Mike's home center. IF WE DO bowl at his center (which would be most convenient given he's there and you're probably getting your ball drilled there)…then I propose we use our league averages but Mike has to use his highest league average in that center. So if he is in a league with a 200 average and a league with a 187 average…he has to use 200…because he has a HUGE advantage on those lanes where he bowls 2-3 times a week and has for what…15 years??? I'd also be willing to bowl at MY center…but wood lanes are going away in April…so I'm not gonna have much of an advantage unless we schedule it in October or something after I have a chance to get used to them.

5) Is this tourney ever gonna "take off"? Are we ever going to attract folks like e-tank or Bunny or that adolescent kid that yelled at me?? Or is it going to be us same 3 clowns???

6) We'll need a new tourney name. We can't use the "2nd Annual….blah blah blah…tournament" because it hasn't been a year since the last one. So we'll have to come up with a NEW tournament…like:

- "The 1st Annual Charity Tournament to Benefit Insane People from Missouri"
    or
    - "The 1st Annual Bowl1820 Creative Math Tournament of Champions" (where no matter the score, Bowl1820 finds a way to crown MikeW the winner)
    or
    - "The Rob Mautner/Aslan vs. zDawg/MWhite Celebrity Doubles Tournament" where I (after getting my awesome lesson in 2 weeks) will join Rob (kinda like the Sith) and give MWhite the chance to face BOTH of the "demons"…with zDawg's new improved moderate speed "AlabamaSlamaShot". Granted, Rob would have to drive from Vegas OR we'd have to GO to Vegas…and if we're all in the same car…no matter how entertaining that video WOULD be…I WILL leave Mike in Barstow if he starts talking about 2-handed bowling or how he didn't really lose the tournament in March.

Lots of questions to answer before the next "rematch".

Mudpuppy's Cliff Notes: Mike hates Aslan. zDawg wants rematch. The internet is the root of all evil.
    Cliff Notes - YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. Delete the whole post EXCEPT the last sentence. 1 demerit. And who said you could do cliff notes. This thread was over (and dead to me) right after I released my final cliff notes. Now I am just stating this for public record and it is officially re-dead to me after resuscitation for record sake.

Chats: 506

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    There is a difference between bowling bad, and scoring bad.
    so ur saying ur timing was perfect every shot your release was perfect every time an hit ur mark every time back swing was same ht. every time... it was prob somthing in ur game oil is oil once u figure you the pattern and lined up if u did everything 100% right like a robot then we can talk maybe the house just had a hard shot out
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 204

Default adjustments

If you want to use handicap, then the conditions we bowl on should be similar to those that the averages were obtained.
    Well, then I'm screwed becuase my average is set on 100% wood lanes. And since they are rare, I can't bowl in any tournaments that aren't on wood lanes.

Actually, by THAT logic....I should have been able to use 138-153 as my average (on synthetics).

I guess my point is, anyone that has played in a tournament, you bowl on what you get. PBA guys actually have it easier because they KNOW the pattern well before showing up. Most amateur tournaments, it can vary. Even if they say "USBC White Pattern"; what if you're in Group B and they don't re-oil after Group A?? The last tournament I was in, it looked very slick...but they didn't re-oil after the morning group...so I got drier conditions (which is good for me) than the AM crowd.

I still think, when it comes to a tournament; you pick a neutral place, and you bowl on what you get. If it's too slick, you gotta slow things down...maybe use a ball with more surface...something with a higher differential, etc... If it's too dry, you speed things up, less surface, lower differential. If the pattern is just weird in one area (as Mike is stating)...you change your entry angle OR you throw a straight ball.

One problem in bowling is 97.9% of bowlers bowl in one house and have inflated averages. And over 70% of them buy the latest greatest low RG (HookMaster 2000) ball which is much more sensitive to lane conditions. So then conditions change, their ball "don't work" and their average drops 30-60 points and suddenly they HATE that alley and it's equipment and lanes and staff.

I've bowled in 10+ different centers in the last 6 months. Primarily in 1-2...but the advantage is learning to make adjustments. Game 1 is brutal sometimes...but you learn to adjust.

CLIFF NOTES
    : Mudpuppy wants a sandwich. Iceman likes the Hammer Deadly Aim and Tri-Grip. Aslan won the tournament.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

I'm amazed how difficult it is to figure out handicap. Figured that would be the easy part.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I still think, when it comes to a tournament; you pick a neutral place, and you bowl on what you get.
    That's fine, but then you have to take the pins you knock down, don't ask for handicap also

That's fine, but then you have to take the pins you knock down, don't ask for handicap also
    Why not stick with highest league currnet league average and base handicap off of that. Everyone shows up with league sheets of all their leagues showing averages. Everyone gets 1 game practice, then 3 games that count.

Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 LastLast