Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Billy Hardwick Memorial ZDawg vs. Aslan Southern California Championship

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by tr33frog View Post
    but with your average as low as it is,
    What! Wow. I didn't realize 146-166 was so horrible!!

I see what you're saying tr33frog...and I appreciate the critique. If it's too far left, I'm sure when I submit it to Joe he'll point that out. I can only go by his feedback. I DO start with the ball left (pretty much over my left knee), low (waist level-ish). I do try to keep my head to the right/outside. And I've modified my approach to a 5-step with the ball not immediately being pushed out. ALl of these are things Joe said to start with.

As to the "release"...thats a work in progress. If you see my older videos, you'll see that my release/follow-through used to be very straight and vertical (handshake with the ceiling). As I've gotten more critiques and worked with other pros, I've tried to have a release that is more "modern" where I'm more bent over at the foul line and sort of "reaching out toward the target". Somehow (and I didn't notice it until reviewing the tournament footage) my release is now going "to the side" versus "up the side". Maybe Bowl1820 is correct...and it's a "correction" as a result of the DYDS technique. Or it might be me trying to stay behind the ball more and not "suitcase deliver" it.

But it's something I'll definitely work on tomorrow during leagues and probably at practice on Monday. I think by not going up (going sideways with my hand)', I'm losing some revs...and I don't many revs to spare!

So thanks to Bowl and tr33 for their comments.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Actually vDub, it wouldn't have chaged the outcome. If I score it as a 0/9...I lose 8 pins in game 1. I won by 10 pins. And if you watch the video closely (frame 5, game 1), you'll see a LOT of pin action where the 10 would have been...literally < 2.5% chance that 10-pin would have survived.
    In the first game, on your first ball of the frame, you hit the 1-3 area 3 times, twice resulting in a 10 pin, and the third time you made a strike.

Literally < 2.5% chance? I think not.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Just thought id throw this in heres someone doing the dyds drill as a comparison.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    In the first game, on your first ball of the frame, you hit the 1-3 area 3 times, twice resulting in a 10 pin, and the third time you made a strike.

You do know 89.5% of statistics are made up right.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

Actually vDub, it wouldn't have chaged the outcome. If I score it as a 0/9...I lose 8 pins in game 1. I won by 10 pins. And if you watch the video closely (frame 5, game 1), you'll see a LOT of pin action where the 10 would have been...literally < 2.5% chance that 10-pin would have survived.

MWhite is just "being Mike". He's not just gonna gracefully admit defeat...he's going to blame his 3rd place finish on lane conditions and improper scoring and any other thing he can think of. And knowing that BBoards tends to be an "anti-Aslan crowd", he knows he can get traction.

As the champ, I don't concern myself with these types of "background noise". I have a couple bowling balls and a bowling bag...and have made it quite clear that I tend to accept most, if not all, fair challenges. So if Mike feels that he only bowled a 127 in Game 1 because there was a mini earthquake during that game...and it only affected him because he had water in his ear from showering...or any other number of things he and Bowl 1820 can come up with...I'm not that far away. I've already told zdawg AND MWhite that a rematch is accepted. I just thought they should practice a little before the next challenge.
    I feel the 127 was directly related to the backwards oil pattern.

If we are going to use handicap, to be fair, the oil pattern should be at least close to what was used when determining the handicap.

I addressed this issue before we went to Temecula. While the conditions were 180 degrees from what was thought to be the worst case, they probably were an even worse than the worst case for me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay Aslan I went over and asked Joe about it. I included this image

We are basically both right and wrong. The ball is not as far left as you had it, but not directly in line with the right shoulder either.

I am the originator of the DYDS concept (biomechanical efficiency and energy transfer). In this, I teach have the ball inside the elbow on the belly button to help the bowler to move the ball laterally inward to abduct the swing

The ball should between the 2 positions

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post

We are basically both right and wrong. The ball is not as far left as you had it, but not directly in line with the right shoulder either.

So keep the ball more toward the belly button and you should be golden.
    In other words, what you are saying is, "listen to tr33frog"

Just thought id throw this in heres someone doing the dyds drill as a comparison.
    He's doing the DRILL...not the....nevermind. He's doing it wrong.

Does it matter? Would you like me to deduct 8 pins from my score so that I only won by 2 points instead of 10? Okay...I deduct 8 pins...and am now officially the champion that I was before deducting the 8 pins. Problem solved. I am champ...Mike still finished 3rd...BUT....by deducting those 8 pins...I never beat him in any game scratch. Win win.

I feel the 127 was directly related to the backwards oil pattern.

If we are going to use handicap, to be fair, the oil pattern should be at least close to what was used when determining the handicap.

I addressed this issue before we went to Temecula. While the conditions were 180 degrees from what was thought to be the worst case, they probably were an even worse than the worst case for me.
    Why does everyone that loses at bowling blame the oil pattern/lanes?? I swear...it's not just Mikey here...on league night....as soon as a guy shanks a shot..."Man, these lanes are messed up." No they're not....as evident by the fact that other people bowling on them are doing just fine. People act like bowling lanes = carnival funhouse and you throw the ball and all kinds of crazy stuff happens...then a windmill blade comes down and stops it from hitting the headpin (a la miniature golf). It's a 60ft lane....it's slippery...the ball rolls down and if you hit just right (or sometimes just left) of the headpin and most or all of them fall down. It's THAT simple. It's literally one of the simplest sports ever invented.

You LOST! I give you credit for accepting the challenge...e-tank and others shyed away from it...so credit where credit is due...but it's in the books. It's done. It's a piece of PBA history. In the past...bye bye...not comin back....until rematch time.

Did you tell him to update his **** webpage? Don't tell him that....he's kinda a "grouch". I like his technique...but his "people skills" are a bit rough around the edges. Maybe in person he'd be cool...kinda like PDW...but the interactions I've had with him via the web and watching his videos...he comes off as someone that has a HUGE opinion of himself and a general disdain for the rest of us. I could be wrong though...never met him personally.

Quote Originally Posted by tr33frog View Post
    In other words, what you are saying is, "listen to tr33frog"
    No. In other words, Bowl was admitting that he was wrong. Granted, I was also "slightly wrong" since I guess the ball was further left than designed...but in all honesty, he never told me how far left to have it. I just knew it needed to go cross-body so I start with it on the left.

But, neither here nor there. It was good of Bowl1820 to go check with Joe. Saves me the trouble of splicing the video and sending it in. I might anyways though. Maybe he has some other things for me to work on. I'm just in a "weird spot" with DYDS because of the balance issue at the foul line. I'd like to get that resolved before I send in another video. or at least get a video of me falling over so I can illustrate the difficulty I'm having.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

No. In other words, Bowl was admitting that he was wrong. Granted, I was also "slightly wrong" since I guess the ball was further left than designed...but in all honesty, he never told me how far left to have it. I just knew it needed to go cross-body so I start with it on the left.
    So you say your only "slightly wrong" and I'm "Wrong", Hmmmm.

Going by Joe's answer "The ball should between the 2 positions" I'd say we are both "equally" wrong in regard to how to do the DYDS.

As for the drill video, Yes he's doing the drill. I never said different.

As for him doing it wrong, he followed the steps for the drill. If you say he did it wrong fine with me, you don't have to do it.

DYDS drill
    1. Setup on the approach where you would begin the full approach.

2. With the hand in the ball, bend down to the ball side and place the ball on the ground.

3. Move the ball next to the ball-side foot.

4. While keeping the ball on the floor, rotate your forearm to face the pins (index finger forward).

5. Hold this position for three seconds.

6. Now, lift the ball into the setup position (which will allow the bowler to maintain a natural lateral spine tilt). Simply lift the ball to the height, relative to the body, where the bowler normally sets up.

7. Execute a normal shot without thinking about your body position.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-06-2014 at 07:31 PM.

What does all that yappity yap have to do with my dominant tournament performance and the praise I should be getting as a result??

PRAISE ME people!! A winner has emerged!! Now all hail me!

Ball left, ball center, ball at belly button....all I know is the ball hit the pins and went boom like dynamite!! I could start the approach wearing the ball as a hat or pulling it out of....my infraction....it wouldn't make a difference because at the end of the day I AM the most dominant bowler ON THE PLANET... or at least at that center on that day.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast