Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: first tournament

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Well, the 100 game I think I can achieve…but a "4" or "5"?? Thats pushing it.
    Did Mudpuppy forget to add on a scale of 1 to 20?j.k.
    John

Chats: 204

Well, first tournament in the books!

It was quite successful. I posted an in depth review of the scores in my "Aslan's Scores (of the non-lady kind)" thread. But as to the tournament itself…I had fun. I bowled well. And I was able to ride that confidence. I think had I struggled early I might have really fed off that struggle and just had a miserable time. But I was able to hold my own and go toe to toe with the other few bowlers in my group that were good bowlers…and at the end of the day, the guy that was in the lead in our division after his AM performance…he was re-bowling in the PM in my group…and I beat him every game.

I knew I needed to throw in the 500s to have a chance in my division. Turns out I needed much higher than that given the leader in the AM rolled a 583. I didn't care about the prize money (which was minimal). I would have liked to win just so I could go on and represent OC in the state tournament in my division. But, it was a learning experience and it was a good time and the bulk of the money went to a good cause (veterans).

If I can keep improving, I might get into the ABTA tournaments. They have tournaments almost every week for people with average less than 209. But….probably hold off until I get my money thing situated. I'd like to start doing two league nights a week…but at this point don't even know if I can continue to do 1. If I add in a tournament a month….on top of trying to at least play poker once a week or once a month…it adds up $$$.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

More importantly did you hook up with any hot chicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    More importantly did you hook up with any hot chicks?
    Ummm. No. Bowling tournaments don't tend to generate a great many "hot chicks". A lot of old asian ladies.

However, on another note...I bowled with a female bowler that I have to say had one of the best releases I've ever seen in a female bowler. I wish I had given her my number and gotten hers because I'd LOVE to do some mixed doubles tournaments with her.

Other notes from the tournament:

There were some really good bowlers there, but I didn't feel "overmatched". I felt good.

Watching bowlers before I got there, I was worried the lanes would be too slick...but fortunately they didn't re-oil before the PM start so that helped me.

There were some IMPRESSIVE youth bowlers there. One kid rolled a 299 rolling against the adults.

I had a couple issues because the youth bowlers were bowling next to us. Some of the kids had to be schooled by the USBC staff on not walking up to the approach while other bowlers were on the approach. One female youth bowler actually slipped and fell just as I was releasing my ball.

One youth in particular annoyed me because he was:
    A) A 2-handed bowler.
    B) Had Mega attitude...you could tell he was expecting to win.
    C) He had an 11-ball ARSEnal.

Well, true form to most 2-handed bowlers...he started out all over the place with a game in the 130s. He must have switched balls 3 times. Apparently he read Rob M.'s article on not outbowling a bad ball reaction but forgot to read Rob's article on "knowing your arsenal". Second game he shot in the 150s. But...again, true form to 2-handed bowlers...he bowled in the 270s in game 3.

#1 problem for 2-handed bowlers: spares. This kid struggled leaving weird leaves like washouts...very common to thumbless and 2-handed bowlers. And he struggled any time he didn't strike. Fortunately, in game 3...he didn't need to pick up spares because he didn't leave any.

I learned what "brackets" are. I might have been able to win some money had I known "brackets" existed.

Still waiting for them to post the scores...I'll update when I find out.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Ringer
    Chats: 35

I learned what "brackets" are. I might have been able to win some money had I known "brackets" existed.

Still waiting for them to post the scores...I'll update when I find out.
    If you don't mind explaining, what are these "brackets"? And good job bowling well in the tourney!

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    If you don't mind explaining, what are these "brackets"? And good job bowling well in the tourney!
    Brackets (and others can probably explain better) are like a side pot where you get matched up against another player randomly and if you bowl more above your average than they do, you move on to the next round and in game 2 bowl against another player…until game 3 when, if you advance, you bowl against another player and the one with the best score above average wins like $25 and the loser wins $10. And I think you can enter more than once…the more brackets you're in, the more likely you'll advance in at least one.

Chats: 39

Glad to hear you played well and had a good experience

Nice job.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Good job! Keep having fun!
    Ball speed: 17 - 18.5 mph Rev rate: 400ish
    PAP 6 1/8" over 1/4" up
    13° axis tilt / 30°-60° axis rotation
    Thumbless bowler
    High game: 300 High series: 804 High average: 217

Brackets (and others can probably explain better) are like a side pot where you get matched up against another player randomly and if you bowl more above your average than they do, you move on to the next round and in game 2 bowl against another player…until game 3 when, if you advance, you bowl against another player and the one with the best score above average wins like $25 and the loser wins $10. And I think you can enter more than once…the more brackets you're in, the more likely you'll advance in at least one.
    Brackets are a good way to make big money if you are bowling good. My first tournament I came in with a 151 avg from the previous year. This was bowling at a very difficult wood lane house. That has since closed down. During that season I had moved to Tulsa and was bowling at a place in Tulsa that has also closed down (due to bad management) At this place I was averaging around 170. I entered every handicap bracket and won every single one and I was in about 25 brackets each set. There was a lot of people pissed off after getting beat in brackets by someone with a 150 average shooting over 600 every set.
    USBC #9327-540
    In the Bag:
    Storm IQ Tour Fusion, Brunswick Mastermind Genisu, Roto Grip Asylum and Ebonite Maxim
    Final Book Averages for Fall:192 Current averages in Summer: PBA 182, Tuesday 202, Thursday 205

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast