Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying calm under pressure

Default Staying calm under pressure

Tonight I set a personal best with 9 strikes to start. Going into the 10th I was a little nervous but I didn't think it was that bad - I've gone to frame 9 several times, and I was a lot more nervous then than I was tonight. Every shot was flush leading into the 10th.

Still, in my first shot in 10 my timing was a hair off, which I felt in my backswing and hit light.

You guys who have gone the distance before, how do you reset and calm yourself down before the shot? Like I said I didn't really FEEL that nervous and I was telling myself it was just another shot, went through my regular pre shot routine, felt pretty "locked in" etc... but something was off. I'm hoping that whenever I get to the 10th frame next time I don't feel quite as much pressure!

P.S. - I had a beer in me and I think that helped with the nerves, but maybe not quite enough?

Chats: 506

its simple man every frame s a new game never look at the score dont think about the shot just let muscles do what they have been trained to do i dont know what i shoot till after the game lol
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    its simple man every frame s a new game never look at the score dont think about the shot just let muscles do what they have been trained to do i dont know what i shoot till after the game lol
    One of my teammates made the mistake of telling me my score going into the 9th frame a few weeks ago...he won't make that mistake again

Quote Originally Posted by zdawg View Post
    One of my teammates made the mistake of telling me my score going into the 9th frame a few weeks ago...he won't make that mistake again
    I once made the mistake of telling a guy all he had to do was relax and keep the ball on the lane to get his first 200. Maybe needed 3 pins. Poor guys ball made it a full 1/3 of the lane before falling into the gutter, lol. I don't do that any more, but man that was funny.

Ringer
    Chats: 35

Quote Originally Posted by tr33frog View Post
    I once made the mistake of telling a guy all he had to do was relax and keep the ball on the lane to get his first 200. Maybe needed 3 pins. Poor guys ball made it a full 1/3 of the lane before falling into the gutter, lol. I don't do that any more, but man that was funny.
    Yeah, my teammate is a longtime friend of mine he just wasn't thinking as I was on the verge of my best sanctioned game ever, he was just overly happy for me and had a lapse in judgement. I just find it much easier to focus on the shot at hand when I don't know the score AND I don't know the score of the other team (obviously I don't bowl anchor)

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by mc_runner
    Tonight I set a personal best with 9 strikes to start. Going into the 10th I was a little nervous but I didn't think it was that bad - I've gone to frame 9 several times, and I was a lot more nervous then than I was tonight. Every shot was flush leading into the 10th.

Still, in my first shot in 10 my timing was a hair off, which I felt in my backswing and hit light.

You guys who have gone the distance before, how do you reset and calm yourself down before the shot? Like I said I didn't really FEEL that nervous and I was telling myself it was just another shot, went through my regular pre shot routine, felt pretty "locked in" etc... but something was off. I'm hoping that whenever I get to the 10th frame next time I don't feel quite as much pressure!

P.S. - I had a beer in me and I think that helped with the nerves, but maybe not quite enough?
    About a year ago, I had the first 10, as I stepped up for the 11th, I felt a strange sensation I hadn't felt is many years.

You probably recognize the feeling as "the butterflies".

My thought at the time was.. Wow, I haven't felt that in a long time.

My 11th shot was what I call a puppy dog ball.. Because it just rolled over and played dead. Left the 1-2-4.

This February I had the first 11, and the butterflies didn't show up.
    As I let go of the 12th shot, I was relieved that I didn't throw it like crap.
    The fact that it hit dead flush and carried was pure bonus.

As far as how to stay calm, I think the idea of controlling the heart rate (breathing, etc) is something that has to be part of your normal routine.

That way it won't be something used only when you have a string going.

For example, if you start out with the first 3 strikes, you need to control the heart rate.
    Even if you've got a low to medium score, but your team needs you to perform in the 10th, you need to control the heart rate

If the shot is important, don't throw it until your body is prepared.
    Last edited by Mike White; 03-19-2014 at 05:11 AM.

I definitely was trying to look at each frame as just that - a new shot! It's really tough though when you know in the back of your head its the 10th frame (not just a get up shoot and sit back down - extra shots) and you're on all strikes going in. Normally I don't mind pressure per se as I'm anchor and typically do better when I know I need a strike in the 10th, I tend to really focus. But the personal score has a much different effect for whatever reason.

Totally agree with Mike on the butterflies and heart rate. I think that made the difference.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    About a year ago, I had the first 10, as I stepped up for the 11th, I felt a strange sensation I hadn't felt is many years.

You probably recognize the feeling as "the butterflies".

My thought at the time was.. Wow, I haven't felt that in a long time.

My 11th shot was what I call a puppy dog ball.. Because it just rolled over and played dead. Left the 1-2-4.

This February I had the first 11, and the butterflies didn't show up.
    As I let go of the 12th shot, I was relieved that I didn't throw it like crap.
    The fact that it hit dead flush and carried was pure bonus.

As far as how to stay calm, I think the idea of controlling the heart rate (breathing, etc) is something that has to be part of your normal routine.

That way it won't be something used only when you have a string going.

For example, if you start out with the first 3 strikes, you need to control the heart rate.
    Even if you've got a low to medium score, but your team needs you to perform in the 10th, you need to control the heart rate

If the shot is important, don't throw it until your body is prepared.
    Good advice Mike. I'd like to add that you need to be mentally prepared before stepping on the approach. I've seen guys pick up their ball for an important shot and spend twice as long as normal in their stance, then throw a lousy shot. All because they spent extra time after they were physically ready getting themselves either psyched up or calmed down before throwing the ball. By the time the mind was ready, the body had gotten too tense to make a good shot.
    John

Chats: 506

welll said mike
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Good advice Mike. I'd like to add that you need to be mentally prepared before stepping on the approach. I've seen guys pick up their ball for an important shot and spend twice as long as normal in their stance, then throw a lousy shot. All because they spent extra time after they were physically ready getting themselves either psyched up or calmed down before throwing the ball. By the time the mind was ready, the body had gotten too tense to make a good shot.
    I guess I should have worded it, Don't even pick up the ball, until the body (and mind) is ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast