Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual BowlingBoards.com Virtual Tour!!!

And I know for me personally I bowl a lot better in a league than open bowling. There is more incentive and there is something to shoot against. It wouldn't be fair at all for me to bowl in a league for this tournament.

But, in short, that is the rules and regardless that I agree with the reason that is how this is set up. Note it down for a suggestion for season 2.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    ding ding ding. Give the kid a cookie.

THATs the point. It's HARDER.
    If you level the playing field enough, it's pure chance who is going to win.

Apparently you want to eliminate any of the skill differences between players.

Makes sense, because you lack the skills.

The biggest problem with open bowling is it's difficult to get the ball to react properly on the back end.

Back end reaction is allows a more skillful bowler to score much higher than a "chucker"

When you take back end reaction away (like at temecula) most of the skill differences are gone.
    Then it's just a matter of consistency.

The handicap is based on being able to use the full range of skills.

Bowling on crap conditions benefits someone like you, so your insisting on open bowling demonstrates an unfair bias on your part.

At Chaparral300, after practice, I targeted 10 board. In 3 games, I never hit the 11 board or left, and only hit the 9 board or right once.

But because the lanes had a ton of carry down, 9 board would miss the headpin right, and the left half of the 10 board would go through the nose.

I left a ton of (light pocket) 7 pins, and (almost on the nose) 6 pins.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
    And I know for me personally I bowl a lot better in a league than open bowling. There is more incentive and there is something to shoot against. It wouldn't be fair at all for me to bowl in a league for this tournament.

But, in short, that is the rules and regardless that I agree with the reason that is how this is set up. Note it down for a suggestion for season 2.
    It would be fair, if everyone had the opportunity to bowl in league for this tournament.

As for the rules, these issues were brought up starting with the conclusion of the Temecula event.

The issues were ignored, in my opinion, because ignoring them benefited Aslan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    It would be fair, if everyone had the opportunity to bowl in league for this tournament.

As for the rules, these issues were brought up starting with the conclusion of the Temecula event.

The issues were ignored, in my opinion, because ignoring them benefited Aslan.
    I agree if everyone could bowl in their league it would be fair. I don't bowl a summer league and both my leagues are over - so would I join a league just to do this tournament? Nope. And ultimately it wasn't the intent of the contest. This season 1 was taylored to get people out and bowl different lanes. Yes they are drawbacks to open bowling - I personally hate open bowling for those reasons but I love the idea of this tournament so I am willing to ignore the pitfalls and just try it out. The optimist sees the glass half full, pessimist half empty and the realist drinks the beer. Call me a realist. And order me another beer - full this time. Your opinions are duly noted now for future consideration (season 2 and beyond) - it sucks that they were ignored or you felt they were. I'm sure that wasn't the intention. But now you have voiced them publicly and whoever takes over for season 2 can take it into consideration. And season 2 should be during normal league season anyways. So maybe that is a good option and makes it better bowling for everyone and it makes it more convenient, etc. etc. etc.

Chats: 204

% of Issues with Tournament:
    Aslan: 2%
    Bunny: 1%
    Classygranny: 3%
    Jeralok: 1%
    tccstudent: 1%
    Stormed1!: 1%
    vdubtx: 7%
    MWhite: 79%
    Mudpuppy: 2%
    ZDawg: 0%
    JDilly: 0%
    JAnderson 3%

It doesn't matter at this point. I've given up even looking for reasoning in the objections at this point. It's been a constant flow of objections to every single point, rule, format, schedule, etc... It's "Boy Who Cries Wolf" phenomenon. At this point, MWhite could object to bowling at a place because it's literally on fire and Aliens have taken the entire alley hostage....and my reaction would be..."yeah....whatever. Blahdy blah blah."

The original concept was a tournament. Where we all show up at a neutral center and bowl. We did that, on a neutral center, after a fresh layer of oil had been applied....you were tested...you were found wanting. You can claim you were sick that day, or there was a mini-earthquake, or the lights were too bright, or they invented an oil pattern just to mess with you....or that little green martian from the Flintsones popped in and magically caused your bowl to go in the gutter. It doesn't matter. At some point....it's about who bowled better.

I would LOVE if this could be a live event....in the National Bowling Stadium. All 12 of us, bowling a tournament in Reno. Same house, same conditions, same day. NO excuses. No "honor system". But....thats not what we have to work with...so we do the best we can with what we have. THIS is the best alternative.

As to your trash talking and other disparaging comments regarding your's truly, the CHAMPION of the 1st Annnual Billy Hardwick Memorial Southern California Aslan vs. ZDawg Invitational....well, it just puts THAT much more pressure on you to defeat me. Eventuallly....with only 6 centers on each of our lists...and a physical pairing looming...EVENTUALLY....you will have to face me again. And if it's at Arlington....your HOME center....no crazy "reverse block" excuses. No pressure on me. I'm SUPPOSED to lose. I've only been bowling 8 months....you've been bowling since I was in elementary school. You're SUPPOSED to win. No pressure.

Chats: 55

humpf...nevermind, I should just keep my mouth shut.

But how in the heck did I get 3%? Because I have a family, business, and a life?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 506

alsan who did you say i was close to ? maybe me and him can figure somthing out and meet up to bowl
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    humpf...nevermind, I should just keep my mouth shut.

But how in the heck did I get 3%? Because I have a family, business, and a life?
    Yes. : )

The point wasn't to actually assign values....it was that ONE PERSON appears to have ISSUES with EVERYTHING!! So another way to say it is, without using %s, "most everyone seems generally okay with the rules and format....except ONE person who seems to have issues with every facet of the competition."

And I had 2%....and I made the most of the rules...so don't whine about 3%. : )

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    alsan who did you say i was close to ? maybe me and him can figure somthing out and meet up to bowl
    You're not close to anyone really. Mudpuppy and you are about exactly 180 miles apart. So "theoretically", if he and you were to travel to southern Toledo....there is a handful of centers that overlap your lists. I don't think he was interested in that....and I was almost certain you wouldn't be. But if you guys want to, one of you can put it on your list and I'll even bend the rules a bit and make sure it gets picked for a certain month that is convenient to you both. But thats a LONG ways to bowl a series! I would be impressed...thats really showing some Tour Spirit and a willingness to connect with other BBers....but thats a LONG way.

And I've made the trip from Detroit to near Cleveland many times....it is NOT necessarily a scenic route...not much really at all other than an occasional toll booth.

Chats: 506

yea not much see unless you like depression in ohio lol and i dont think it will be apart of it lol hey i need to know if i can bowl next month on the 2nd sadly ive been working 12-16 hours past two weeks including weekends i was late to bowling league last week prob will be again tomorrow
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Page 24 of 64 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast