Thread: Struggles with the 6-pin…my new enemy...

Chats: 204

Default Struggles with the 6-pin…my new enemy...

I've noticed lately that I'm leaving a lot of single 6-pins and 6-10s.

Reading up on it, the consensus is that I'm coming in too high (which I think means too far right) and that it's an "angle issue". I have trouble seeing where the 3-pin ends up which might give me more of a clue as to whats going on.

Any textbook reason why a person might leave the 6-pin often? Thanks.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 506

just bowl all strikes problem solved

it dont help ur ball speed and rev rate are so low ur ball is prob deflecting yes i understand 16 lb ball but anything can deflect and if ur leaving 6 pins ur entry angle was very bad

remeber the 3 pin should take out the 6 if i am not mistaken
    Last edited by noeymc; 03-31-2014 at 07:47 AM.
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Remember your alignment. Six pins, and six-ten combinations come as a result of crossing over toward the 1-2 pocket rather than the 1-3 pocket. Keep your body, and your armswing in line with your intended target, and you should be able to avoid crossing over.

You have to be able to adjust angle quickly to avoid repeats like this - that is really the essence of bowling. Left, right, front, back, foot angle, speed - something. It is the most common thing I see people struggle with. If you see me leave a 7 pin you rarely, if ever, will see me leave a 2nd 7 pin in a row.

All good responses. Thanks.

I'm hoping it's (aka like what Mudpuppy and Rob mentioned) a matter of just making an adjustment to my approach/timing/release. I really don't want to have to buy a 3-ball or 4-ball roller bag and create an "arsenal" so that I can always find that perfect angle into the pocket. But believe me...when over 50% of your spares are 6-pins (or multiple pin variations)...it really tempts me to unretire the Frantic to have a ball between the Rhythm and Slingshot. I just really don't "want" to because I'm trying NOT to go back to throwing different weights (Frantic is 15lb).
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 256

Typically when you see a 4, a 6 or 6-10 leave is coming in too high in the pocket or as Rob mentioned, crossing over. A move left with your feet can sometimes alleviate this while still rolling over your intended target. Cuts the angle just a little bit.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Yep, coming in too high and your ball isn't taking out the 3 pin at the right angle to knock into the 6/10. Quick note though, coming in high refers to coming in too far "left" for a righty - more direct into the headpin than the 1-3 pocket. Like vdub said a small move should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Typically when you see a 4, a 6 or 6-10 leave is coming in too high in the pocket or as Rob mentioned, crossing over. A move left with your feet can sometimes alleviate this while still rolling over your intended target. Cuts the angle just a little bit.
    Thanks. I'm working on it. Yesterday I switched from a weaker ball up the 8-board to a stronger ball up the 6-board. Then as the lanes got drier and oil moved around, I moved a few boards left of center and threw out over the 12-board. Still was coming in right of the headpin if I didn't get a good release...but I left very few single 6-pins.