Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble lofting the ball onto lane. Need advice on wrist support.

Default Having trouble lofting the ball onto lane. Need advice on wrist support.

So, I am 25 years old. Used to bowl since I was 5 until I was 18. Now I am back into it after 7 years. In high school I used to carry a 210 average. After taking a 7 year break I am getting back into bowling/league and such. I used to throw a Storm Eraser and throw down and in.

After all these years, I somehow have a bad habbit of letting the ball go to early instead of getting it on onto the lanes and I turn my hand to early to often also, not getting the proper hook. What I started doing yesterday was letting my pinkiy and ring finger lead the way on the down swing and turn my hand when I get to my slide foot, it seemed to help, but it was hooking between a topspin and regular hook. So I am getting better.

What my main issue is, is consistency. When practicing yesterday I shot a 191/188/182/246/178. Not really good in my book besides the 191/246 game, maybe I am being to hard on myself.

My question is, should I get a wrist support to get my muscle memory back, if so. What should I get. I was thinking about getting a Kobra lifter or a mongoose.

Any thoughts of any of this would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am new to this site. My name is Don, I am 25 years old, live in central PA

Chats: 506

i am against wrist supports but on the loft issue set a towel on the lane and try to land the ball right after that
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Chats: 256

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp206 View Post
    My question is, should I get a wrist support to get my muscle memory back, if so. What should I get. I was thinking about getting a Kobra lifter or a mongoose.

Any thoughts of any of this would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am new to this site. My name is Don, I am 25 years old, live in central PA
    Getting a wrist support will actually not help with your muscle memory from your prior bowling years. It will for muscle memory with a support, but if your intention is to not use the support in the future you should go without it and get a ton of practice in.

I would work on keeping you hand behind the ball during your swing and only when you are at the bottom of your swing with the ball is when your fingers should come around the ball very slightly to create the hook. Don't need to come around it much at all or you will just be spinning the ball vs. rolling it and letting it hook.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Getting a wrist support will actually not help with your muscle memory from your prior bowling years. It will for muscle memory with a support, but if your intention is to not use the support in the future you should go without it and get a ton of practice in.

I would work on keeping you hand behind the ball during your swing and only when you are at the bottom of your swing with the ball is when your fingers should come around the ball very slightly to create the hook. Don't need to come around it much at all or you will just be spinning the ball vs. rolling it and letting it hook.
    I think what my other issue is, I have to trust my thumb. Instead of keeping my thumb straight down sometimes, I like to grab the ball with the thumb instead of trusting it. Not sure why I do this, maybe because I think sometime it's going to fly off, but that's not the case.

When I got my Hammer Arson, the house that drilled it screwed it up with the span being way to big. So when I threw a few games with a messed up span, I had to grip the ball with my thumb instead of it being straight down, after that I took the ball to another house who has a former pro running the pro shop there.

I was just asking about a wrist support. I used one when I was really young, about 13 and that helped me develop the proper technique as when I got into high school. When I was about 15 I stopped using it. It never felt weird, but I knew what positions to keep my wrist and release the ball with proper hook. Now they have so many wrist supporters out there. I don't need anything like the storm gizmo, just something simple that can get the job done. Maybe I will use it for a season or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i am against wrist supports but on the loft issue set a towel on the lane and try to land the ball right after that
    Can I just ask why you are against wrist supports? I don't think they are a advantage whatsoever to be fair. Tons of people male/female use them. Just asking.

Can I just ask why you are against wrist supports? I don't think they are a advantage whatsoever to be fair. Tons of people male/female use them. Just asking.
    nothing about advantage or anything i understand some people need them... but the problem with them is once you use them you almost feel like u need them but if you can go without you will be able to make more adjustments with your wrist position also useing them can change your span on a ball so all your bowling balls may need there thumb hole moved a little i might be mistaken on the last part hopefully someone can clear that up if i am wrong
    Stroker
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Wrist supports/braces are a subject of much debate.

At one time some felt they gave a mechanical advantage, because they locked you in position. But with the more modern release, it's hardly a advantage anymore (if it ever was one).

The major disadvantage of using one is because they are limiting. Using a wrist support limits your options in regard to hand positions and movement, because they lock you into a set position.

Also if your having release problems like releasing too early, over turning the ball etc. they won't necessarily fix the problem, it could just mask it or make it worse.

Now wrist support's can be used as a training aid, they can help keep your hand in a consistent position, your wrist firm etc. and if you have some physical problem they can help. The ball can feel lighter and you can get a small speed increase .

As for the Mongoose and the Cobra.

The Mongoose is a popular model, several users on here have it. Basic firm wrist , backs up the fingers, keeps them tucked in.

The “Cobra” now this thing takes getting use too, it's the one with the extended index finger brace. (I used to have one)

This one promotes forward roll and side spin, But you have to watch out it's easy to “Top” ((where your hand comes over the top of the ball) the ball until you get use to it.

It's a good training aid for getting the feel of putting forward roll and side spin on a ball. (I don't personally like the one you can adjust, cup etc. I preferred the standard straight model.)

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    nothing about advantage or anything i understand some people need them... but the problem with them is once you use them you almost feel like u need them but if you can go without you will be able to make more adjustments with your wrist position also useing them can change your span on a ball so all your bowling balls may need there thumb hole moved a little i might be mistaken on the last part hopefully someone can clear that up if i am wrong
    Yes if you use one all the time, you should be fitted for your grip while wearing it.

I might add that some types you might not have too, like say a regular robbies firm wrist type or just the small wrist support types.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 03-29-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 0

Here is a link for you on the proper release from the Kegel Training Center. If you watch this video you don't have to loft the ball to make it work. If you do have to loft the ball then you are using a wrong ball for the lane condition you are bowling on. In this video the pros are just laying the ball onto the lane like a plane making a smooth landing. They also don't turn their hand much to get rotation on the ball. Like the instructor in the video says less is more. Try this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fo29U0iXd8.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Yes if you use one all the time, you should be fitted for your grip while wearing it.
    thats what i thought
    Stroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast