Thread: Blisters & Calluses

Chats: 256

Default Blisters & Calluses

Have been getting a blister on the inside of my hand at the base of the index finger this last year.

Just curious as to what people use when they get a blister on their bowling hand.

Also curious if anyone has ideas of what to use to help cover or protect while bowling. I know tape will not stay on as my hands are a bit sweaty usually and will inevitably come off when I am at the line or something. Maybe some of that new skin?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

A callous in this spot usually means that the ball is sitting more toward that side during the swing, therefore your hand is on the inside part of the ball. It's pretty common and usually considered to be a good thing and generally means the ball is sitting in your hand correctly. It's basically a pivot point on your hand created by the balls movement in your swing and release.

A bowling glove is about the best solution. Like the Ebonite React-R Glove, but you could get a golf glove and just cut the fingers off.

Last edited by bowl1820; 05-12-2014 at 07:20 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 256

Yeah, was hoping to avoid the glove route.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Chats: 204

I only ever get a callous on the inside of my thumb.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Chats: 0

I used to get a blister on the inside of my thumb, just at the point where the edge of the thumb hole was. That edge hit a little tendon on the inside of the thumb and caused quite a bit of soreness. For me, the absolute worst part (and most distracting part -- and the part that really kept me from achieving that coveted 210 average back in the day) was the thumb irritation. In retrospect, I think the thumb hole was the wrong pitch, and was maybe positioned a little too far for a conventional grip. My hand was never relaxed when bowling.
    Last edited by rv driver; 05-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.