Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: ICEMAN has found a Mom and Pap 6 lane WOOD bowlling alley!!!!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Default more pictucres..

Picture of Chris at the front desk of bowling alley! Its a very nice, Clean bowling alley, well taken care of! For all you that flunked math, you might have a problem keeping score!

At this establishment they take pride in using their heads to do scores!!! NONE OF THAT automatic stuff!!! One day when all the computers break down, the bowlers in this small town will not be lost in regards to doing scores on paper, or using that overhead projector contraption!!

I didn't know what to expect so I only brought with me the balls shown. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic condition WOOD LANE, with a great shot out side, and inside!

I was surprised thinking the wood, somehow would be much more difficult to play then synthetic! I personally, liked and enjoyed the balls reaction better on wood, at least Plattsburg's WOODEN LANES, then I do the other synthetic ones I bowl on now!

The do a sanding at the end of each year, and every two years they resurface the lanes completely! WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 07-13-2014 at 11:01 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post

Picture of Chris at the front desk of bowling alley! Its a very nice, Clean bowling alley, well taken care of! For all you that flunked math, you might have a problem keeping score!

At this establishment they take pride in using their heads to do scores!!! NONE OF THAT automatic stuff!!! One day when all the computers break down, the bowlers in this small town will not be lost in regards to doing scores on paper, or using that overhead projector contraption!!

I didn't know what to expect so I only brought with me the balls shown. I was pleasantly surprised to find a fantastic condition WOOD LANE, with a great shot out side, and inside!

I was surprised thinking the wood, somehow would be much more difficult to play then synthetic! I personally, liked and enjoyed the balls reaction better on wood, at least Plattsburg's WOODEN LANES!!

The do a sanding at the end of each year, and every two years they resurface the lanes completely! WELL TAKEN CARE OF!!
    Oh man I remember those projectors get up to bowl and you've got marks all up you arm because you got it against the plastic sheet and everybody pretends they don't know how to keep score because they don't want their hand getting sweaty. Yeah those were the days.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Blog Entries

here Chris is showing Iceman how he used to oil and clean the lanes by hand! I ask if it had a pretty good shot when done by hand, and he said it DID! He told me step by step how he took the old oil off, and the applied the new... I WAS IMPRESSED!!!

This is the mop he used to oil the lanes.... its an art that many would be lost at doing today!

This Chris's wife, ( I hope have the spelling correct: Georga! This is what bowling alley owners do while wafting for customers! Chris and Georga, are a great couple, and I enjoyed the time they took to show me the whole layout!

I do plan on bowing there this fall, regardless as to if I can get a team from the city to drive out there to this GREAT ESTABLISMENT OF WOOD! I don't know a wood alley in the Kansas City Missouri area anymore.

They have all went to that synthetic stuff!!! ( IS ANYTHING REAL ANYMORE?)

Plattsburg Bowling Alley is!!

P.S. I was a little surprised that Georga, was using one of them there automatic card shuffling do-dad, thing of ma-jobs, instead of doing it the old school way, with her hands... LOL

GREAT COUPLE, and GREAT ESTABLISHMENT!!!

Wife and me WILL be back next Saturday to bowl a bunch of practice games!! ( that is if you don't have it booked)!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 07-13-2014 at 11:23 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Default My opinion of wood lanes

Great shot, much less squirrely

I don't know about other wood lanes, what few there are across this wonderful country, but I know the ones in Plattsburg played GREAT!!
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 07-13-2014 at 11:35 PM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Blog Entries

Wall of champions!!! Cool pictures of some great teams that bowl at this vintage wood alley!

Average league bowling is 8 bucks a night... NO BIG MONEY, they bowl for the SPORT and fun of it! No Sandbaggers to be found at this noble place.

Like Chris said, "We don't care about big money, we love the sport, those pictures on the wall are our reward!

I like that philosophy!!! I like it a lot!!

I think he said they have tournaments there some times, if that's the case you know ICEMAN might just do one for a change!! LOL
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 4

Wow it has been many years since I've seen the old
    tella-scores like that. I used to do a lot of scores by
    hand back in the day before everything became all
    computerized.

Take some people now days and they would have no
    ideal how to even start to keep scores by hand especially
    the younger generation of kids.

Dang it Iceman now you make me want to drive all the
    way over there all 650 miles to just get to bowl a few
    games on the wooden lanes at the Plattsburg Bowling
    Alley. LOL!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Wow it has been many years since I've seen the old
    tella-scores like that. I used to do a lot of scores by
    hand back in the day before everything became all
    computerized.

Take some people now days and they would have no
    ideal how to even start to keep scores by hand especially
    the younger generation of kids.

Dang it Iceman now you make me want to drive all the
    way over there all 650 miles to just get to bowl a few
    games on the wooden lanes at the Plattsburg Bowling
    Alley. LOL!!!!
    Give me a call anytime,,,, Remember other then weekends, his summer hours are limited... Winter they have more open bowling! I would be glad to meet you somewhere and we could drive up together!

It was a spiritual EXPERIENCE being in the place!....Great lanes, WELL taken CARE OF! Anyone interested, drop me a private message, and I can set it up.... and make sure they will be open.

The Place HAS Character,,,, I told him I would LOVE TO OWN THE PLACE,,,, he said make an offer.... Not sure if he was serious?
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 304

By the way that 6-lane alley is by far the smallest I've ever seen. Before that, I've bowled at a 24-lane synthetic alley. Now that alley has more lanes ;p
    My bowling balls include:
    Brunswick Brute Strength, Brunswick Mastermind Genius, DV8 Endless Nightmare, DV8 Diva, DV8 Diva Pearl, DV8 Marauder Mutiny, & Brunswick White Viz-A-Ball spare ball

Chats: 0

Reminds me a lot of my home alley -- before it was "expanded" to 16 lanes. Might be worth a drive up from Springfield to play there.

Blog Entries

Default Their new reconditioned oil machine

Chris took me to the storage room to show me their new reconditioned lane oiler Said it laid a nice THS!!

WHAT where did this AMF THING come from,,,, this a Brunswick alley,,, LOL They also take ( NOT HAVING accidents very seriously ) (

Last edited by MICHAEL; 07-16-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast