Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brunswick/DV8 Still too rolly?

Default Brunswick/DV8 Still too rolly?

Been messing with storm equipment since I broke apart from dv8 for the past year. All i can say i really enjoy storm equipment, they're just really skid/flippy/angular that works perfectly with my game. Saw the new ruckus and it looks really really impressive and thinking of giving dv8 another try. Is the brunswick line still "rolly" or is it being more versatile?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Been messing with storm equipment since I broke apart from dv8 for the past year. All i can say i really enjoy storm equipment, they're just really skid/flippy/angular that works perfectly with my game. Saw the new ruckus and it looks really really impressive and thinking of giving dv8 another try. Is the brunswick line still "rolly" or is it being more versatile?
    Brunswick being said to make only "Rolly" balls by many has been a kind of undeserved reputation from long ago, (they made skid/snap ball's and said so in the ball details.).

(For those that want to know :Rolly balls tend to find more friction in oil and roll earlier rather than later. That's why they are considered just for heavy oil)

The DV8 spinoff company was meant to try and get away from that rep.

I agree with this comment made at one time about Brunswick being rolly and DV8:

"it (DV8) provides Brunswick a line of balls that will alter the perception of Brunswick being a predominantly "rolly" line of equipment. Most of the industry professionals and informed bowlers know that this is not the case but perception stills tends to trump reality."

Here's quote from DV8
    "Every once in a while, a company must take a step back, observe the business, and think strategically about how to bring products to market that serve the growing consumer groups. We at Brunswick have done this, and as a result of this process, we are proud to announce the introduction of a new brand of bowling balls – DV8.

Today’s younger consumers want a more aggressive brand personality and a ball motion that is longer and stronger on the backend. The DV8 brand will have an edgier feel with marketing and ball names, and the DV8 branded bowling balls will provide more length and more aggressive backend reaction. DV8 will show its aggressive personality via the website, advertising, and in the products themselves. The bowling balls will look different on the shelves and will perform different on the lanes.

A DV8 bowling ball will not be just another Brunswick ball. DV8 bowling balls will feature new core designs, new coverstocks, brighter colors, and outrageous names. DV8 balls will provide more length and more aggressive backend reaction, and the balls will be backed by a 2-YEAR WARRANTY."
    So I'd say they are trying to be more versatile.

Almost any bowling ball that is pearlized will give you a skid/snap reaction ,like almost any ball thats a solid can give you a rolly reaction. Not to mention surface, layout and the release are factor in it too.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-15-2014 at 10:53 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 32

I can't believe anybody watching the new Forterra Exile is thinking roll y. I think Brunswick owns Radical also don't they? There is nothing rolly about the reaxx line from them either. I think you can kick out the old stereo types they don't really apply not every piece from Brunswick is rolly and even Storm has brought out some rolly pieces. I think we are living in a great time to be a bowler there are more great balls on the market now than ever.

By the way I'm not a Brunswick guy don't own a single one just what I see from spendingg way too much time in bowling alleys and watching bowling ball vids.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Brunswick signed a agreement that moved the production of Radical bowling balls to the Brunswick manufacturing plant, and the brand renamed Radical Bowling Technologies.

Radical uses their base resins but Mo Pinel and Phil Cardinale adjust the formulas.

Mo:
    "We use the similar base resin formulations, but the additive packages are the keys to getting the exact reactions desired. We work with the Brunswick resin team to get the exact reaction we want by adjusting the formulas specifically for each launch. The possible combinations are infinite, but we work together 'til the ball test properly. "

"All the covers on Radical, DV8, and Brunswick balls are the result of Brunswick research projects. The trick is always to match the cover with the core."

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Hmm it might be time to give dv8 another try. Was just really disappointed by the lack of "versatile motion for me, when dv8 first came out I've used everything from the reckless to the endless and everything in between, but everything just seemed to me as "rolly" and inconsistent carry. Even with surface alternation

Chats: 0

Teammate that bowls a summer league has a new exile. It is not rolly, it is explosive ! Myself, I like the meanstreak brawler, polished 1500 symmetric, good length, control and hitting power.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

I recently changed over to Brunswick equipment. While I have not yet tried any DV8 balls, I can safely say that within the Brunswick line itself there is a wide range of reactions. Most recently I added the Exile and the Melee Cross, and see two totally different reactions: skid/flippy Exile, and great read in the oil on the Cross.

Saw the new Exile ball is a beast

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Hmm it might be time to give dv8 another try. Was just really disappointed by the lack of "versatile motion for me, when dv8 first came out I've used everything from the reckless to the endless and everything in between, but everything just seemed to me as "rolly" and inconsistent carry. Even with surface alternation

Some to look at are the Diva Pearl, Marauder Mutiny, Brutal Nightmare and Ruckus

Just make sure and use the right layout for your spec's to help you get the ball reaction you want.

Chats: 0

I don't know anything about the Reaxx. I went to the web site, but found it annoying. It's like they're trying too hard to be trendy, and the fluff is getting in the way of solid, helpful information about the products.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast