Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: corner pin spares set up

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    Again, not saying I won't eventually go that route…but…

1) Even if I HAD a plastic spare ball…I wouldn't use in on corner 7s.
    and
    2) While it would help me pick up more 10s that I'm currently missing left…I'd miss all the corner 10s that I am currently missing right but hooking into…thus, a wash.
    I know that Rob is SPOT ON in regards to the spare ball and throwing it straight! Since I went to throwing mine straight, Palm Up,,, not the Back up style, My ten pens pick ups have gotten MUCH BETTER! As to the dry area, and a plastic ball hooking, it sure can! I have seen a few older ladies on the seniors league that throw a beautiful hook into the pocket,,, only problem being their balls are too light, (in my opinion), and deflect too much, giving them poor carry!

As far as the 7 pin goes for right handers,,, I throw a strike ball and get it 99 percent of the time on HOUSE OIL.... I think Rob is Right on in regards to shooting it on a Sports layout! SO TO LEARN TO THROW A SPARE BALL END OVER END,,, Needs to be accomplished if truly want to increase your average on house, but especially on Sports Patterns...
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 32

I have to agree with Rob here you can hook plastic especially on dry conditions.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Going straight with plastic is an option on a house shot where you know where the friction is, but it is mandatory on a sport shot. If you ever intend to bowl in tournaments, or even challenge shot leagues, you might just as well get used to it. Once you are used to it, it becomes second nature. You'll know that it's ingrained when you step up to pick up a seven pin or a four pin, and the thought of hooking into it doesn't even cross your mind. Aslan, aren't you currently bowling in a sport shot league? Just sayin'.

Chats: 55

Perhaps I haven't encountered enough of a dry lane condition to see this, although in Vegas this past week it may have. I didn't take the plastic ball as I wanted the other three with me and figured I wouldn't be shooting any stand alone 10 pins (9 pin tap). I need to go in search of some dry lanes so I can get used to them.

I will talk with my coach next time around on the issue of throwing it end-over-end and see where that leads us. Thanks!

I have to say the main reason I haven't been using my plastic on every spare on THS is laziness. I get so tired of having to wait for the ball to return and then moving it to the lower rack underneath. You would think the alleys would have better ball management systems!
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    At the risk of being accused of being harsh, I don't care if your rev rate is 10. Use a plastic spare ball and learn to throw it end over end at EVERY SINGLE PIN SPARE. You are missing 40% of your seven pins, and 42% of your ten pins! Don't eat for a week. Don't buy gas for your care and walk to work. Turn off your telephone and your television. Whatever you need to do to get a plastic spare ball do it! NOTHING else will help you to raise your average faster.
    I like Rob's direct approach here. The last sentence is golden and very true for all.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

I was missing 10 pins 80% of the time before I picked up my DV8 Zombie spare and now pick them up close to 90% of the time with a straight shot across the lane. I recently started practicing trying to pick the 10 pin and 7 pin off a full rack with my spare ball without hitting anything else. Great practice and takes away the pressure of worrying about scores due to strikes and spares.

Chats: 204

If you're going to throw it end over end, palm up…why would you need a plastic ball? A reactive resin ball "end over end" won't hook….it has no revolutions. I agree with classygranny; I thought the point of plastic was to keep the release the same without the problems of the ball reacting to the lanes??

If you're going to throw it end over end, palm up…why would you need a plastic ball? A reactive resin ball "end over end" won't hook….it has no revolutions. I agree with classygranny; I thought the point of plastic was to keep the release the same without the problems of the ball reacting to the lanes??
    I think using a plastic spare ball allows people to adjust slowly. When I first started using it I threw the same as my strike ball but over time I learned to adjust to where I "can" throw a straight ball and can now pick up spares with my strike ball if I really want to. However there are times when I tug the ball a little and when this happens with a reactive ball you are completely off the mark but with a spare ball the tug isn't going to effect it nearly as much so you have more room for error while learning and even experienced bowlers are sometimes off a hair which can mean the difference in making a corner spare with a reactive ball.

Chats: 32

Because your not going to throw a perfect end over end release every time. That way if you get a few revs on the ball it still goes straight.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 39

I've spoken enough about this topic so most of you know my position......Any serious bowler should have a plastic spare ball.

The only spare I currently don't shoot at with a plastic ball is the 2-8, and that's only because "finding a reliable line for the 2-8" is on my list of things to do, just not at the top.
    Company League Average: 198.1
    City League Average: 186.5
    WTBA Sport pattern League Average: 172.9
    Current Arsenal: Roto Grip Nomad Pearl, Wrecker, and Hyper Cell; Track 920A and 505A; Storm Tropical Breeze; Plastic Spare Ball

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast