Thread: My thumb issues -- the span seems to be the problem.

Default My thumb issues -- the span seems to be the problem.

Ok, so I went to my local bowling center today to test out some equipment I bought (one of those strap-on thumb protectors, and a bowling glove).

Anyway, my thumb still blistered, but not as badly. It started toward the end of the 2nd game, but my 3rd game I still shot a 195.

I don't recall exactly who said it, but I know a fellow member told me that my span was likely the issue.

After also watching a few "instructional" videos with Norm Duke, I think my span is actually too short, and that is causing me, as the poster pointed out, to grip the ball.

I was going to talk to the pro shop guy about it today, but I think he owns multiple centers and by the time I'd finished my games he'd left already.

Also, and this may sound like a VERY dumb question, but can a span that's too short affect revs in a negative way?

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

I would think if having the wrong span is causing you to grip the ball, it could easily be affecting your rev rate. Gripping makes it harder to come out of the ball cleanly and at the right time in relation to the fingers.
    John

Chats: 204

I have a span on one of my balls that is a bit too short.

The weird thing is, that span on that ball "feels" the best. But yes, a pro shop guy told me when the span is too short you end up trying to "grip" it.

Here's the referenced video: