Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for new ball

Default Need advice for new ball

Hi all:

I am relatively new to bowling, and purchased my first ball (14 lb.Columbia Freeze Hybrid). I've had it for about 8-9 months and have done a lot of bowling with it. Therefore, I think it's time for a new ball. However, I do not know which direction to go. I know this is an entry level ball, and I would like to "kick it up a notch" with my next purchase. I do not have any brand loyalty, just looking for something that will help me improve my average. Thanks for any responses !

Bryan

hey don't knock the freeze buddy that ball has allot more potential then it advertises, do you like the way the freeze rolls? like the shape of it roll (banana/hockeystick) if you like the way it rolls stay with a symmetrical core ball, it you would like the hockey stick style try an asymmetrical core ball, i would suggest the black widow assassin or legend, the firstblood would also be a decent choice, and DV8 balls are great asymmetrical balls. symmetrical ball wise look at some of the storm line, even though i am partial to Hammer i do gotta say i have never heard a bad review on a storm ball, and they smell good too!

most importantly though is have you proshop guy watch you throw your freeze and tell him what your looking for he will point you to the right ball, those guys know allot.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 07-25-2014 at 04:41 PM.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Chats: 32

What are you averaging now and what would you like the new ball to do? Different angle, handle more or less oil, is there something that your current ball doesn't give you that you want?
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 221

Balls that would be a "step up" in hook potential and oil handling capabilaties would include Storm Hy-Roads, Roto Disturbed,Asylum and the new Hysteria, Motive Tribal, Tribal Fire,Venom Shock and Toxin, Columbia Blurs and Eruption series balls, DV8 Diva and Dudes Brunswick Melee cross and many others in thAT PRICE RANGE.

IMHO price range is a really BAD way to rate bowling balls. Price range is marketing pure and simple. If you want to find a ball that is a step up from another ball, look at the numbers. The numbers don't lie. Marketing people do.

Chats: 0

I don't know if this is going to be too much ball for you, but the IQ Tour Pearl is my favorite pearlized ball of all time, and it's going out of production soon. It has a beautiful hook shape, it hits well, and it looks and smells AWESOME. Ask your pro shop owner if IQ Tour Pearl is right for you.

If it's too much, the Dude is extremely predictable, and has infinite shelf appeal.

If even that's too much, pick up a variation of the Hy-Road. There's a reason Storm has been making those balls for a long time. They work beautifully on medium oil.

deadly aim is a great all around ball

With a large variety of bowling balls to choose from it is hard to give an educated response based on the information given. However The Freeze I believe is rated as a low/medium oil ball so if you wanted to step up to a medium ball you can look at balls such as the Storm Freakin Frantic, Roto Grip Up Roar, and DV8 Marauder Madness as a few options. If you would like to take a step a little farther into the medium/high range you could look at the Storm IQ Pearl, Roto Grip Asylum, and DV8 Diva Pearl/Dude/Rude Dude. There are so many manufacturers with so many different balls to choose from that you have a tone of options. Your best bet would be to talk to your local PSO or maybe even a coach and have them watch you and make a recommendation based off of your style.

Ya think?

My buddy just bought a Freeze it is a decent ball for med-low oil lanes. I tried his out the other week and threw a 200 first game. You can get a better performance ball but make sure you take the lane condition you bowl on into account. My Hammer Arson is a dead fish when it is dry even though it is a higher performance ball then the Freeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast