Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teal Rhino Pro good for a beginner?

Chats: 0

Default Teal Rhino Pro good for a beginner?

Hello everyone! I am new to the site and to bowling in general.

I just joined a non-sanctioned league a week ago and I am wanting to get serious about the game. I have only been using house balls and I'm a straight shooter. I am wanting to learn how to hook the ball and to be able to hit the pocket consistently. I just purchased a Teal Rhino Pro on Craigslist for $15 with a bag. It has only been drilled once, with a conventional grip.

I was wondering if this would be a good ball to start out with or if I should re-sell the ball on eBay for a profit and purchase a newer ball? I called my local pro-shop and they stated that it would cost me $45 to get it plugged and drilled for a finger tip grip. I just want a ball that I can learn to hook with and improve my game and is versatile to different lane conditions.

Thank you and I look forward to everyone's advice.

FWIW, I, too was an up the boards player with a conventional grip, throwing an old rubber AMF. I simply bought a new, entry-level reactive ball for about $120 sized, drilled, with fingertip inserts. It seemed easier to me than trying to find something used in good shape on the 'net.

Quote Originally Posted by rv driver View Post
    FWIW, I, too was an up the boards player with a conventional grip, throwing an old rubber AMF. I simply bought a new, entry-level reactive ball for about $120 sized, drilled, with fingertip inserts. It seemed easier to me than trying to find something used in good shape on the 'net.
    What entry level ball did you buy/recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    What entry level ball did you buy/recommend?
    I bought a DV8 Misfit, finally based upon customer service from the company and availability from my pro shop. I really wanted the Motiv Ascent pink/purple, but I was also looking at the Columbia Freeze hybrid, the Roto Grip Uproar or Wrecker, and the Storm Lights Out. I ultimately narrowed it down to the Motiv or the Misfit, because I have to throw 12#, due to physical constraints, and the specs for those balls at 12# were closer to the specs for the same balls at 15#, far closer than the other choices' 12# specs. What weight are you throwing? It will make a difference if you drop under 14#. I have to be careful what I buy if I expect the advertised reaction.

(BTW, I lived in Mesa some time ago, "neighbor!")

BTW, how long have you been bowling? I used to carry a 200+ av. years ago, so I have the basics down -- I just have some old habits to break in throwing reactive vs. throwing a straight ball. If you haven't yet learned the basics, I might really recommend a Storm Tropical Breeze as your first reactive ball. It has a low hook rating and you won't have too much to handle trying to learn approach, timing, swing, and release while being troubled by having to learn to read lanes and find a decent line, etc. If you have the basics down, any lower end reactive should be fine for you.

I haven't been bowling very long, but I ended up taking fortheloveofbowling's advice on my introduction thread and visited the pro shop by my work. I asked his opinion about the Rhino Pro and he said he would honestly recommend a newer ball.

I asked him his recommendation on the balls he had in stock and I ended up purchasing a Roto Grip Shout for $118 out the door, drilled with finger tip grips. He even spent a lot of time with me giving me tips on how to throw properly and where to stand and aim. I usually only average in the 80's to 90's and If I'm lucky I'll hit 100. I ended up playing for an hour and my highest score was 121.

I'm glad I purchased the Shout and I'm planning to go back to the lanes later tonight by my house.

That sounds like a good choice for a starter. Who did you talk with there? Good luck with your game!

Chats: 32

I haven't been bowling very long, but I ended up taking fortheloveofbowling's advice on my introduction thread and visited the pro shop by my work. I asked his opinion about the Rhino Pro and he said he would honestly recommend a newer ball.

I asked him his recommendation on the balls he had in stock and I ended up purchasing a Roto Grip Shout for $118 out the door, drilled with finger tip grips. He even spent a lot of time with me giving me tips on how to throw properly and where to stand and aim. I usually only average in the 80's to 90's and If I'm lucky I'll hit 100. I ended up playing for an hour and my highest score was 121.

I'm glad I purchased the Shout and I'm planning to go back to the lanes later tonight by my house.
    Shouts are good balls it should be a good place to start good luck
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Good job! The Shout's a great entry-level reactive ball -- and a good price, to boot. Good luck with your game!

Quote Originally Posted by fortheloveofbowling View Post
    That sounds like a good choice for a starter. Who did you talk with there? Good luck with your game!
    Gary was who helped me at the pro shop. Gary was super helpful and a really nice guy! Thanks again for the recommending them fortheloveofbowling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast