Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no more optimus! need suggestions for replacement.

Default no more optimus! need suggestions for replacement.

sold my Optimus, now I am looking for a replacement. Got a Hyper Cell at oob finish and a Motiv Ascent Apex and looking for something in between. Love the motion on the Ascent Apex on the dry. Maybe the Motiv Octane, Hammer Bad ***? I like the length and super back end motion of my Motiv but the new Hammer looks awesome, Im about 15.5 mph, about 275 revs. Medium oil, What yall think?

I too retired my Optimus (for now). Gave it time too (about 60 games with several surface changes). Really really wanted to like this ball. I guess it works for other bowlers--not me. I went back to my Jet Black Taboo, which I didn't use much before, and I LOVE it!! I'm hearing very good things about the Bad ***. Keep up posted on what you decide.

Oh by the way, why did you sell your Optimus?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by goneal32 View Post
    sold my Optimus, now I am looking for a replacement. Got a Hyper Cell at oob finish and a Motiv Ascent Apex and looking for something in between. Love the motion on the Ascent Apex on the dry. Maybe the Motiv Octane, Hammer Bad ***? I like the length and super back end motion of my Motiv but the new Hammer looks awesome, Im about 15.5 mph, about 275 revs. Medium oil, What yall think?
    You know what I found out? I had a deadly aim, and it does and has given me some great series! Then Rob gave me his, he didn't like it at all! I took it to a guy that drills balls at my local lanes, and he only had to remove the slug, and put the vise system in for it to fit my hand! Rob and Ice have almost identical spans! The pitch on the finger holes was slightly different, but not even noticeable to ICE!

Wow,,, TALK about two different reacting balls!! My original ball has a real long gradual arc to the pocket, the Deadly-Aim Rob gave me has that hokey stick move at the end! At first I didn't care for that radical move, but now I LIKE! I used it yesterday and it was my second and third game ball, gave me two strong 200 games,, 225, 202! Nothing super, but hey we won all four and are knocking on heavens door, on that league!

POINT BEING, HOW you lay your ball out, and have it drilled does have a HUGE influence on how your ball reacts.

I would not have know this had Rob not given me his Deadly Aim.

Lay out and Drilling does have a HUGE influence on ball reaction... things you can discuss with your knowledable driller!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by MICHAEL View Post

Lay out and Drilling does have a HUGE influence on ball reaction... things you can discuss with your knowledable driller!
    My data does not support that assumption. Surface has been shown to affect ball movement. But at a < 400rpm rev rate...I doubt he'd/she'd see any difference with different drill layouts on the same ball.

I'm not saying there isn't ANY...but just temper your expectations.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 186; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.4mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

either the hammer arson low flare would fit nicely in there, the Badass is more of a heavy oil ball, i drilled mine pin down and absolutely love it! great length with a very smooth transition, i use the sarge grip so my revs are around 250-300 with very little axis tilt. i have yet to find a line that i cannot play with the badass pin down. my friend got his drilled 45x5x50 more of a pin up lay out, the only thing i noticed from his ball is that it is much more early than mine, he has 400ish revs and more axis tilt than me but either way this ball is very smooth and has no problem finishing through the deck. this is by far one of the best hammer balls ever made! i will post my full review of it later in the weekend.
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Let us know how this is...

I sold my Optimus because It had about the same reaction as my White Dot spare ball and hit like a wet noodle, no kidding, I really wanted to like this ball, I tried oob, 4000 no polish, 3000 polish, 2000 polish. I had it drilled 4 1/2x5 1/2x2 to begin with, then I had it drilled 3 3/8x 4 1/2 x2, it was maybe a little stronger. I got a Motiv Ascent Apex for dry lanes and it rips, My Hyper Cell is all business on super heavy conditions. I have considered a Motiv Octane, Ebonite Gamebreaker 2, and a Hammer BW Legend, and Hammer Bad ***..Have not thrown either of these balls, but, they have my interest.
    Last edited by goneal32; 10-17-2014 at 08:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    My data does not support that assumption. Surface has been shown to affect ball movement. But at a < 400rpm rev rate...I doubt he'd/she'd see any difference with different drill layouts on the same ball.

I'm not saying there isn't ANY...but just temper your expectations.
    I would have to disagree with you! I now have two Deadly Aims,,, I resurfaced both on my spinner the other day, exactly the same. Took them to the lanes last night, and big difference! Drilling does effect the movement of the ball! One still has that gradual arc to pocket, the other more snappy on down the lane, hockey stick late movement.

I will experiment with different surfaces and see if I can make the jumpy one less late radical.

Drilling in combination with surface changes both have their unique effect on ball movement, IMHA!
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by goneal32 View Post
    I sold my Optimus because It had about the same reaction as my White Dot spare ball and hit like a wet noodle, no kidding, I really wanted to like this ball, I tried oob, 4000 no polish, 3000 polish, 2000 polish. I had it drilled 4 1/2x5 1/2x2 to begin with, then I had it drilled 3 3/8x 4 1/2 x2, it was maybe a little stronger. I got a Motiv Ascent Apex for dry lanes and it rips, My Hyper Cell is all business on super heavy conditions. I have considered a Motiv Octane, Ebonite Gamebreaker 2, and a Hammer BW Legend, and Hammer Bad ***..Have not thrown either of these balls, but, they have my interest.
    Sometimes you just don't match up well with the ball. I would suggest keeping track of the numbers and core shape of that ball and if you have another dud with similar stats maybe stay away from those like it.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast