Thread: Renewed old bowler needs advice.

Chats: 0

Default Renewed old bowler needs advice.

Hi everyone. Been lurking & just joined this forum. Around 50 years ago or so, I did a lot of bowling. Just a few times since then.
    I'm a 71 year old male & decided to take up bowling again. 8-10 yrs ago I bought a columbia Wrecking Ball 15lbs & finger tip grip, & bowled with it once, had some health issues & here I am again. Did a lot of reading about correct form & ball & foot placement & bowled 2 games.
    Half way thru the 1st game I found my line & bowled a 137 & 180. Probably mostly luck. I was hooked again.

The local pro shop owner watched me because I asked him to recommend a new ball. He thought my ball speed was 14-14.5 mph.
    Who knows. The lanes are med. oiley. My ball always comes back with a oil ring around it. I hold the ball with my thumb at 10 o'clock thru my swing & release and follow thru continuing to lift my arm. I don't turn my wrist. This was how I used to bowl & find it fairly easy to be consistent. My shots into the pocket seemed to have good action but only a little hook. The ball seems to be spinning counter clockwise as it hits the pins.

Now my question. Since I want to switch to a 14# ball anyway I asked the Pro-shop guy for advice. I want to continue to release the same way but would like a bit more hook, but not a radical ball that's hard to control. he recommended: 1)BLACK WIDOW LEGEND 2)GAMEBREAKER 2 & 3)HY-ROAD SOLID. Any suggestions or advice? Sorry for the long post.
    Last edited by 2rott; 10-11-2014 at 10:11 PM.

Chats: 32

Welcome back to bowling first off and enjoy yourself. All three of these are excellent balls and would be a good choice.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Welcome!

The Wrecking ball is a old urethane ball, so any of those would be stronger.

The BWL is a low RG/High Diff. asymmetrical ball (so would tend to be more angular) and The GB2 is a low RG/High Diff. symmetrical ball. Both would be pretty early compared to it.

I think I would lean toward the Hy-Road Solid, The HRS has a higher RG with a high diff and symmetrical core. considering your lower speed IMO I think it would give you better length and control.

Bowling this Month Reviews for:
    1)BLACK WIDOW LEGEND
    http://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowl...-widow-legend/

2)GAMEBREAKER 2
    http://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowl...ame-breaker-2/

3)HY-ROAD STORM
    http://www.bowlingthismonth.com/bowl...hy-road-solid/

Given if you've been using the wreckingball, make sure they get your PAP off it for the layout.

Plus polished up it will make a good spare/Dry lane ball.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-06-2014 at 12:29 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Thanks for the info. I'm also open to other ball choices.

Chats: 2

I am similar in age, ball speed etc and now back five years after a 30 year layoff. I have accumulated a lot of bowling balls in that five years but if starting over again, my first ball would be the original Hyroad. There is a reason Storm has kept that ball around so many years. Black Widow Legend & Gamebreaker have to be two of the most aggressive, heavy oil balls out there, certainly not a first ball for a Senior

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    I am similar in age, ball speed etc and now back five years after a 30 year layoff. I have accumulated a lot of bowling balls in that five years but if starting over again, my first ball would be the original Hyroad. There is a reason Storm has kept that ball around so many years. Black Widow Legend & Gamebreaker have to be two of the most aggressive, heavy oil balls out there, certainly not a first ball for a Senior
    i think you're overdoing it on your ball characterizations BW Legend or the GB2 are not the most aggressive heaven oil balls on the market. I do believe that the Hyroad is the better choice but to be honest they are pretty similar strength wise the GB2 and BW Legend are just more hockey stick shaped then the hyroad so they appear to hook more.

Some other balls you might consider are the Rotogrip Outcry, Dv8 Dude, Motiv Venom Shock if you are looking for more of a arc type hook
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Some other balls you might consider are the Rotogrip Outcry, Dv8 Dude, Motiv Venom Shock if you are looking for more of a arc type hook
    The DV8 Dude would be good, That's what I've been using. Smooth, very predicable.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    i think you're overdoing it on your ball characterizations BW Legend or the GB2 are not the most aggressive heaven oil balls on the market. I do believe that the Hyroad is the better choice but to be honest they are pretty similar strength wise the GB2 and BW Legend are just more hockey stick shaped then the hyroad so they appear to hook more.

The balls themselves have much less to do with the shape of the hook than does the layout. As to the three balls in question, the Hyroad, the BW Legend, and the Game Breaker 2, both the BW Legend and the Game Breaker two have cores that are designed to roll much sooner than the Hyroad. The Game Breaker 2 and the Hyroad both have symmetrical cores, and the BW Legend has an asymmetrical core which is much more sensitive to inconsistencies in the release than balls with symmetrical cores. With the slow ball speed, the Hyroad is probably the best choice, however, I think that the Hyroad solid would give him more consistency. Make sure that the PSO determines your PAP as the release that you describe indicates that you could be throwing a full roller (where the ball tracks between the thumb hole and finger holes). If you are not throwing a full roller, then for a more arcing smooth shape to the hook, have the ball drilled with the pin next to the finger holes, not above them.

I just looked at the track of my current ball & it runs about an inch & a half left of the finger holes & about the same amt. left of the thumb hole when looking at it with the thumb hole on the bottom.

Okay, not a full roller. Talk to your PSO about a neutral or pin down layout for a smooth, arcing motion.