Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walk Path for Left side Spares

Default Walk Path for Left side Spares

My basic question is how to walk my path on the approach for left side spares as a right hander? I've been walking parallel paths for my strike shot (Ie walking in a line parallel with the angle of my shot to the target. The problem of course is that I may start at 20 and throw to 10.. but I'm actually at 16 at the foul line. This works fine but makes adjusting to changing lane conditions problematic since a 2&1 move will result in me starting at 22 and throwing 11 but I'm actually at 16.5 or 17 throwing 11.

Ok..so I've started walking straight on the approach so I end up on the board I started. I've been trying this for a week and I'm not that great at it yet.. I actually walk left and my slide step brings me back right to the same board I started, more or less. So I can walk straight and throw the ball right now... but how am I supposed to throw the ball Left? For now, my left side spares have me walking parallel paths to my target.. (Ie..walking toward target) but I feel like I may be missing something. I am using a spare ball so I'm not hooking it to left side spares. The 7 Pin angle is pretty steep so I may b starting at 11 and ending up at 18-20 (just a guess.. I don't really know where I end up) on my walk path.

Chats: 204

If you are using a spare ball...for the 7-pin....try starting with your left foot at about 8 and targeting 10. Or you can move inside and start with your left foot on 15 and targeting 15.

But remember, with a spare ball...you 're walking and alligning with the pin; not the foul line. Your ultimate line should be a line that extends from your right shoulder to the target. You should be angled left, walking towards the pin, not the foul line (per se).

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    If you are using a spare ball...for the 7-pin....try starting with your left foot at about 8 and targeting 10. Or you can move inside and start with your left foot on 15 and targeting 15.

But remember, with a spare ball...you 're walking and alligning with the pin; not the foul line. Your ultimate line should be a line that extends from your right shoulder to the target. You should be angled left, walking towards the pin, not the foul line (per se).
    Thanks Aslan.. That answers my question.

If I can get accustomed to walking straight to the foul line and throwing right when playing an inside line with my strike ball.. Should I continue to setup my spare game for right side spares that way (Walking straight throwing right), or should I walk the line towards the target for ALL spares as you described for left side spares?

Quote Originally Posted by bobforsaken View Post
    Thanks Aslan.. That answers my question.

If I can get accustomed to walking straight to the foul line and throwing right when playing an inside line with my strike ball.. Should I continue to setup my spare game for right side spares that way (Walking straight throwing right), or should I walk the line towards the target for ALL spares as you described for left side spares?
    IF you are using a plastic spare ball, I have been instructed that you line up your shoulder with the pin and throw straight at it. That means you angle yourself appropriately. I aim my left toe just left of the pin I'm aiming at.

Now, for the leaves that I shoot my strike ball at…my shoulders are mostly parallel to the foul line.

I shoot plastic at the 4, 7, 6, and 10 as well as the 4-7 and 6-10. I tend to shoot my strike ball at the other leaves.

Thanks.. I was asking for a plastic spare ball. The idea being if I can walk straight and throw right for all my strike shots, then why not do it for the right side spares (with the plastic spare ball). My original question was regarding left side spares because walking straight and throwing left is problematic for me as a right hander.

I used to walk towards my target for ALL shots but was having issues adjusting with my strike shots because as I got deeper I "undid" my adjustment by closing down the angle as I walked toward the target arrow. So now that I'm trying to walk straight toward the foul line on my strike ball, I want to use that method for spares where it makes sense for consistency.
    Thanks again for the input.

Chats: 506

i shoot my 7 pins like i do my ten pins almost but for me its 3 boards different
    Stroker
    Ball Speed : 17mph Rev Rate : 300-325 PAP : 4 1/2
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook
    Avg 182 high game 291 High series 709
    bowling 2 leagues and everyday i can

Member ID: 9407-9357

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i shoot my 7 pins like i do my ten pins almost but for me its 3 boards different
    Meaning you line up on the left and just go straight up the 35 board?

i shoot for ten pin i stand 37 and shot at 26 for 7 pins i stand at 5 and shot at i believe 22 id have to go on the lanes to be 100% on the 7 pin most the time i just throw my hook ball down 5 board slower and it will take it out but plastic balls are the way to go the hook ball is the house shot way lol
    Stroker
    Balls : Hammer Taboo Deep Purple Roto Grip Shatter Roto Grip Scream Hammer absolute hook

Quote Originally Posted by noeymc View Post
    i shoot for ten pin i stand 37 and shot at 26 for 7 pins i stand at 5 and shot at i believe 22 id have to go on the lanes to be 100% on the 7 pin most the time i just throw my hook ball down 5 board slower and it will take it out but plastic balls are the way to go the hook ball is the house shot way lol
    That doesn't make any sense.

If you're standing left foot on 5 and aiming 22…thats lofting over the right gutter aiming left of center.

ill check it tonight at the 700 tournament and update this post with the exact board i aim and stand

i shoot at 17 so thats my bad nothing else but u gotta adjust your self
    Last edited by noeymc; 11-24-2014 at 10:05 AM.
    Stroker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast