Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how long have you been bowling before your first 300?

Default how long have you been bowling before your first 300?

any more, i run in to kids, who are still in youth leagues get upset because they threw a 200+ and not a 300. it makes me sad that these kids are the future of the sport, and they learn directly from us since we are their peers. don't get me wrong when i throw a 279 i think "dang i could've done better" but not "man i just threw a great game" even though every bowler in the house is shaking your hand and telling you "great game" we just blow it off and think "i should've had a 300" and we get angry about it. we live in an instant gratification world, where we think we should be the best at something as soon as we pick it up, we all know bowling is not that way. so to put things into perspective, how long have you been bowling before your first 300?
    "watching pros throw countless strikes in a you tube video, is like watching
    super models in bikini's eating cheeseburgers on the hood of a pickup. sex sells"

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post
    any more, i run in to kids, who are still in youth leagues get upset because they threw a 200+ and not a 300. it makes me sad that these kids are the future of the sport, and they learn directly from us since we are their peers. don't get me wrong when i throw a 279 i think "dang i could've done better" but not "man i just threw a great game" even though every bowler in the house is shaking your hand and telling you "great game" we just blow it off and think "i should've had a 300" and we get angry about it. we live in an instant gratification world, where we think we should be the best at something as soon as we pick it up, we all know bowling is not that way. so to put things into perspective, how long have you been bowling before your first 300?
    I started bowling in the 70's (I think about 10-12 years of age) and I shot my first league 300 in 1990.

That was after about 30+ league games of 279.

Outside of league (pot games during the 80's) where we made the lanes as walled up as we would find in scratch tourneys in Orange County, I would shoot 1 or 2 per month, out of about 40 games per week on that condition.

As walled up as we made them back then, I still think todays legal conditions provide more help to the bowler. The ball grabs the lane harder, and the oil holds the ball back better.

Still working on getting my first 300. I probably would have had at least one if I did not stop bowling for about the last 15 years.
    Just call me Twisted
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

Been bowling consistently for 29 years.

On May 8th, 2008 I shot my only 300. So basically, I bowled 23 years before my 300.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaneshu87 View Post

You never answered your own question Shaneshu87.

Been bowling 8 years, still waiting. Bunch of 275+ games, but furthest I've gotten is to the 10th frame.

Started bowling in late 90's 98 I think....

took a break from 2002 till 2009

Just bowled my first league 300 in a summer league this year.... and before you go looking me up.. no it's not on bowl.com it was in an unsanctioned equipment league.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Blog Entries
    Chats: 2643

I started bowing at the ripe age of 62,,, one small non sanctioned senior league on Mondays at 1pm. I found out that first year that I seemed to have a gift to bowling,,, I held first place in all scratch catagories, including 290 first year, 298, the second year,,, had a 750 and 700 for high series scratch.
    It was then that several of the seniors said that I should go bowl sanctioned leagues. My reply was, SANCTIONED????

The rest is history,,, had my first two 300, this last season,,, the second one I am most proud of almost had two 300s and a 800!

First game 300, then a 216,,,, then the third game 8 strikes in a role, and a ringing 10 pin,,, for 264, =780,,,

I know the second game looks lame, but I was hitting the pocket but had terrible carry that game!

So including my two years on the seniors non sanctioned league, it took my I believe 3 years to ring the bell and get my first one!

What was cool about my second 300, was that my brother and oldest son were there to see it! My brother had just stopped by to visit, and my son new to bowling and his first year was on my team! Pretty cool

Almost two in one night, 20 pins form a 800. Were the lanes easy that night?? NO,,, it was a high roller league with 3 of my teammates with 220 or above averages as I remember it, our anchor had a terrible night,,, last game being well under 200. It was just my night!

Hang in there, and think you CAN, and you just might do it!! NEVER THINK ANYTHING but positive thoughts when stringing strikes together!
    I posted in another thread the score sheets, as proof.... lOL,,,,

this is a link to my first 300,,, second one was my favorite!!http://www.bowlingboards.com/threads...300!!!!!/page8
    Last edited by MICHAEL; 11-17-2014 at 11:24 AM.
    Don't walk on Thin Ice!

I have been bowling since I was 5, I am now 27, I have had several 279's and even a 297, but I have never bowled a sanctioned 300. In a non sanctioned scratch tournament I shot 852 with two 300's. And I have shot several in practice. I feel that this year will bring my first sanctioned 300 so I can be finally be legit lol. I'm just sick and tired of the "instant gratification" thought process, that was the purpose of this post, if your new to bowling, don't think just because you have the best ball on the market your going to bowl a 300, just know that while it's not impossible, this achievement usually comes after years of practice and experience.

Ice man is a freak of nature! Hahaha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast