Thread: Question regarding repaired ball

Question Question regarding repaired ball

Hello all.
    I just got a new storm crux less than 2 weeks ago. It got chipped in 2 places Saturday night. Bowling alley agreed to repair it. Wife picked it up for me today and she said they told her they had to polish it real quick. No problem. However, I looked at it tonight when I get back from work and it is shiny as a pearl ball. I had the ball as in box surface. 3000 grit. Dull matte when I bought it. Also, I noticed that the serial numbers are 99% gone like they sanded them down too far. Is that normal to lose the serial numbers on a single resurface? Thank you.

Please excuse my grammar as I just got off of a 16 hour workday and have been up for close to 30 hours. Just looking for an opinion before I ask him about it on tuesday since that is the first day they come back. Was hoping to bowl with it tomorrow but now I am debating on whether or not I should hold off on it.

Thank you

D

First of all you should have them put it back at box surface at no cost to you if that is what you want. Second, to take that much of the ball to barely read the serial numbers is quite a bit and if the gouges were that deep they should have replaced it if not able repair without sanding the crap out of it. Performance wise if they get it back to box surface i don't think the heavy sanding will make a difference (mike could talk more intelligently about that) but the thing that would bother me is that it is basically brand new.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Ya... Tell them to put it back to 3000, polished is a much different reaction.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by gefecht View Post
    I get back from work and it is shiny as a pearl ball. I had the ball as in box surface. 3000 grit. Dull matte when I bought it. Also, I noticed that the serial numbers are 99% gone like they sanded them down too far. Is that normal to lose the serial numbers on a single resurface? Thank you.
    No the serial's shouldn't be gone from a single resurface on a new ball. (depending on how the numbers were put on the ball to begin with)

From the sound of it what they did was just sand it to get the chips out of it, not fill them in first them sand it.

Given if the chips were deep they should have filled them first then resurfaced the ball, so as not to remove so much from the ball and they should have put the surface back to what you had it at or the OOB.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    No the serial's shouldn't be gone from a single resurface on a new ball. (depending on how the numbers were put on the ball to begin with)

From the sound of it what they did was just sand it to get the chips out of it, not fill them in first them sand it.

Given if the chips were deep they should have filled them first then resurfaced the ball, so as not to remove so much from the ball and they should have put the surface back to what you had it at or the OOB.
    Exactly, and if the gouges were in a place were the track was i would have had them replace it for sure.

Chats: 221

Were the chips near the serial $ Are the ball logo's still visible? If only the ser # isx almost gone I would worry if the ball is still round

I apologize for the delay, They did fill in the chips before they sanded the ball. I forgot to mention that as I was so tired. The logos are still visible as always, After looking at it again, the chips were in the track and my track is close to where the serials are. The side with the logos looks like it is almost untouched. It now looks(shines) and feels as smooth as a pearl coverstock in certain areas. But yet other areas still have minor everyday scratches. Almost like it was not sanded evenly around the ball. Also, the serial number with the exception of 2 numbers is completely gone. This ball has less than 10 games on it. With the serial numbers missing it is no longer legal according to usbc standards. I know that you can re scribe the seriel and make that portion legal, but if they did not polish it the proper way all the way around. There is a chance that the ball is no longer in round. It seems to me that he put it in the spinner, sanded the one side and that was it. They are open tomorrow and I plan on going in after work to talk to them. How can you prove or check to see if a ball is no longer in round?

Thank you for all your help so far.

D.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by gefecht View Post
    I apologize for the delay, They did fill in the chips before they sanded the ball. I forgot to mention that as I was so tired. The logos are still visible as always, After looking at it again, the chips were in the track and my track is close to where the serials are. The side with the logos looks like it is almost untouched. It now looks(shines) and feels as smooth as a pearl coverstock in certain areas. But yet other areas still have minor everyday scratches. Almost like it was not sanded evenly around the ball.
    It sounds like they most likely just did a spot repair around the area where the chips were. (Just filled and sanded that area)

Also, the serial number with the exception of 2 numbers is completely gone. This ball has less than 10 games on it. With the serial numbers missing it is no longer legal according to usbc standards. I know that you can re scribe the seriel and make that portion legal,
    Yes you just need a new number engraved .They should do it for nothing.

but if they did not polish it the proper way all the way around. There is a chance that the ball is no longer in round. It seems to me that he put it in the spinner, sanded the one side and that was it. They are open tomorrow and I plan on going in after work to talk to them.
    It's unlikely the ball is out of round, but I'd have them refinish it so it's even all around the ball though if you think it's not the same all around it.

How can you prove or check to see if a ball is no longer in round?
    There testing devices, but it's unlikely they would have them. It take quite a bit to get one out of round.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowl1820,
    As always, you are an awesome poster here. Thank you for your replies. Will let you know how things go tomorrow. Thank you.

tell them if they cant make it like new u want a new 1