Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: should i be wiping my ball after each shot?

I never wipe mine. I experimented with it but found no difference.

I can definitely see a difference when i use a microfiber towel between shots.

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Aslan: Think real hard about this: if you leave a 1-2-8, it means you missed the head pin on the right. If you don't wipe the oil off of the ball, the next time you miss it even further right. If you wipe the oil off after every shot, you always have a fresh surface. Would you rather have a fresh surface for each shot you throw, or cast your fate to the wind based on whether or not you threw a strike? For someone who overthinks most everything, there is a serious lack of thought on this one.
    So you're trying to poke holes in the theory that it's not the bowler's fault for a bad shot...it's the inanimate object/ball's fault?

Rob...sometimes you come up with the craziest stuff!!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    So you're trying to poke holes in the theory that it's not the bowler's fault for a bad shot...it's the inanimate object/ball's fault?

Talk about crazy! That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that by not wiping the ball off because it didn't strike, you helping to insure that it doesn't strike on the next shot whether it was a bad shot or not. Wipe the ball off. Then you'll know.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post

The oil on the ball is not inanimate Aslan

If the lane has a lot of volume on it i generally wipe the ball before each shot. If i start to go high and want to stay on the same line in addition to another smaller adjustment i won't wipe the ball before my next shot. Right or wrong, dumb or smart that is what i do. A lot of times guys will wipe their ball before each shot partly because that is their pre shot routine and do the same thing every time before a shot. I think ultimately it is a good idea just to have a consistent surface each time.

Chats: 0

cheers everyone. i'm not good enough yet to see a difference yet wether i wipe or not, but i guess it willbe a good habit to get into, especially when i get my reactive ball.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by britjeff View Post
    cheers everyone. i'm not good enough yet to see a difference yet wether i wipe or not, but i guess it willbe a good habit to get into, especially when i get my reactive ball.
    If it does nothing else, it will keep your bowling shirt cleaner
    John

Quote Originally Posted by britjeff View Post
    You can also put some cleaner on the towel for when you wipe it. USBC says you can use approved cleaners during competition but you cannot alter the surface, i.e. sanding.

Chats: 0

i'm assuming the cleaner will be some sort of solvent. dont know if we use usbc rules in the uk. want to bo hitting 150 before i get into leagues. slowly getting there( 137 so far) dont know what the rules are in the uk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast