Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Teenage Bowler

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by TJSieling View Post
    Finally looked at my ball... 14lb Ebonite Magnum blue/gold

not the greatest ball, but it's good enough for what i'm using it for. I'm hoping to aim at a Black Widow or tornado soon.

Great choices. Maybe if you have time give a review of your ball in the Ebonite Review section
    Go Broncos!

Hello Taylor. I too am a teenage bowler, and I saw that you are looking into purchasing either a Black Widow or a Tornado in the future. I just wanted to let you know the Tornado is an excellent entry level ball, that comes with a very low price tag, and it might be just what you are looking for to give you a little more pop than your Magnum. While I personally think the Black Widow was one of the best balls ever made, you may find it too be too much ball for you if you are just getting into bowling. I underestimated the ball when I first purchased it, and ended up getting a beast on my hands.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

You know, that's REALLY ironic you would say something like that...

My grandpa's black widow was helping get some wicked high scores. It's only 2 lbs heavier than my ball, plus the holes had rubber lining, so it's easy to hold. I asked him if I could throw it a couple times.

I figured it wouldn't have much curve, about as much as my Ebonite would. I was wrong.

I stand between the 2nd and 3rd arrow on the left and throw to the same arrows on the right. The black widow rode down the gutter, you would have sworn I was levitating it ("You ride the gutter like my old buddy Randy," my grandpa would say). It got about within a foot of the headpin and it cut from the right side of the lane all the way to the left and took out the 7 pin... just the 7 pin. I had to really kill my curve to get a decent hit, but it still cut so hard that i only got 3 or 4 pins at a time.

It's a killer ball, but I hope that I can manage that kind of ball.

The ball is alot to handle, especially if you drill it agressively. At first I put the pin right of the ring finger, basically a label drill on it, and it was WAY too much ball for what I was looking for. Ended up plugging and redrilling it pin above bridge, and got a much better reaction; goes long and flips. When the ball only had a few games on it, I was able to play the entire lane with it, but now, it is pretty much the best straight ball ever. It has probably 500-600 games on it, and it just doesn't react for me anymore.
    Glenn Cox
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

I can't keep a ball straight to save my life... Unless it's a 15lb ball with the holes drilled to fit two of my fingers in it, and that's only because I can't put any curve on it.

Where do you think I could go to look at a Tornado for a little cheaper than you usually see them at?

You can pick one up online for about $65, but you are going to have to factor in what it is going to cost you to drill it once you get it. Just for reference, the Tornado is $104 drilled at the pro shop I go to, and drilling a ball you bring in costs $67 with inserts and a thumb slug. So for me, I could spend $104 if I buy it there, or $132 if I buy it online and bring it in to get drilled. However, my pro shop does tend to be a bit overpriced, and I only go there because I have a good relationship with the owner, so I can get some good deals and prices.
    Glenn Cox

Just out of curiosity though: Do you know your ball speed and rev rate? Also what kind of lane conditions do you bowl on? I could advise you on a ball that might benefit you, and how to drill it based on your bowling style.
    Glenn Cox

Hmmm... specifics? I couldn't tell you that much...

All I know is if the ball is going straight down the line, it curves at about 45 degrees to the left... dunno if that will help you much...

the lane conditions are semi oiled most of the time.

I like using fingertip more than conventional. When I make my approach, I've got two hands on the ball until I have to take my last step and the ball is behind me, then I can put some wicked curve on it.

And I'm rather new to bowling, that's why I got a cheap $50 ball.

Do you put all three fingers in the ball or do you just use two? If you use two it will explain why you are able to curve the ball so much.
    Glenn Cox

Quote Originally Posted by The Bowling Guru View Post
    Do you put all three fingers in the ball or do you just use two? If you use two it will explain why you are able to curve the ball so much.
    No, I use all three fingers. But during my swing, my hand is turned so my fingers are pointed dead left and it's like that until I throw the ball, so that would explain the curve?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast