Thread: What's it like using a urethane ball?

Default What's it like using a urethane ball?

I was just curious if a urethane ball would be good in all conditions if I decided to throw the ball down the middle of the lane and aim it just to the right of the headpin.

Without an entry angle a more reactive ball creates you get less carry. 10 pin 10 pin 10 pin. unless you hit perfectly light or flush. Atleast thats what I understand since I don't have a urethane ball (but i am lefty so i go pretty straight sometimes when the backend is covered in backed up oil)

Chats: 32

Urethane works best when you are playing from the outside in. Urethane doesn't work well when thrown right and let it come back. Throwing down the middle on a THS pattern is most likely not going to be terribly effective as the ball will never get a chance to start to hook.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Urethane works best when you are playing from the outside in. Urethane doesn't work well when thrown right and let it come back. Throwing down the middle on a THS pattern is most likely not going to be terribly effective as the ball will never get a chance to start to hook.
    Urethane works well on a THS if you have the break point outside of the oil line, and enough hand in the ball to roll in the backends.

What you don't get, is the ability to take advantage of the hold area. As urethane gets close to oil, it loses carry FAST.

The good news is on most THS conditions, there is plenty of dry area outside the oil line.