Thread: Motiv Rebel Tank

Default Motiv Rebel Tank

The Rebel Tank is the latest urethane ball introduced by Motiv. Featuring a new DMX Pearl Urethane cover sanded to 4000 LSS Grit and the Halogen core, the Rebel Tank provides more push through the front with a mild hook in the back end compared to the original Tank which hooked much sooner with very little backend motion. The Rebel Tank is an ideal choice when bowling on the 32 foot Wolf pattern or the 35 foot Cheetah pattern and some league patterns with a high friction lane surface.

I have my Rebel Tank drilled with an old school urethane layout in which the pin and CG are 3 3/8 from my axis. This provides a clean push through the front with a mild hook reaction in the back end of the lane.

The Rebel Tank may not be the first ball out of the bag but I never leave home without urethane, whether it's league or tournament.

Is there any real advantage to using urethane over a weak reactive resin ball?

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by John Anderson View Post
    Is there any real advantage to using urethane over a weak reactive resin ball?
    Short answer I don't know but I'm going to find out. The only guys I have seen using urethane are some of the older crowd on my leagues. My PSO just offered me a brand new looking urethane single drill for $50 bucks redone for me and everything couldn't pass it up. I should have it Friday and I'll let you know what I think.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Urethane has it's advantages, especially on short patterns where there is a lot of friction. Weak reactive balls are just that, reactive but weak. The cover on weak reactive balls may still cause early hook issues and the lack of a strong core creates carry issues. Urethane balls like the Rebel Tank still have higher RG cores which help the urethane ball roll continuously through the pins. The urethane ball will go longer than weak reactive and still have enough energy to caryy the pins.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorMOTIVguy View Post
    Urethane has it's advantages, especially on short patterns where there is a lot of friction. Weak reactive balls are just that, reactive but weak. The cover on weak reactive balls may still cause early hook issues and the lack of a strong core creates carry issues. Urethane balls like the Rebel Tank still have higher RG cores which help the urethane ball roll continuously through the pins. The urethane ball will go longer than weak reactive and still have enough energy to caryy the pins.
    So does that mean a high rev high speed player has little or no reason to use urethane at all since they can throw weak reactives out far and will certainly get a strong roll through the pins?

So does that mean a high rev high speed player has little or no reason to use urethane at all since they can throw weak reactives out far and will certainly get a strong roll through the pins?
    High speed / High Rev guy probably has less use for urethane than a lot of bowlers but under certain conditions it could still be useful see the PBA Wolf pattern.

Current arsenal

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    High speed / High Rev guy probably has less use for urethane than a lot of bowlers but under certain conditions it could still be useful see the PBA Wolf pattern.
    Ok thank you. Just trying to get a better feel for why people use it when it's an older technology. I'm too young to remember the pre-reactive resin days.

Ok thank you. Just trying to get a better feel for why people use it when it's an older technology. I'm too young to remember the pre-reactive resin days.
    Unfortunately I am not but it's a different world between early to mid 80's oil patterns and today's. The reasons are different for use today anyway but I think for the average bowler it's rarely the best choice beyond light short oil patterns. I'm trying mine out on some unpredictable older wood lanes to see how it does.

Current arsenal