Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brooklyn?????

Default Brooklyn?????

I'm new so sorry for the dumb question...(lots more too come...lol)

Why do you get shunned upon if you bowl lots of "Brooklyn" type strikes? I do it all the time because I'm inconsistent and just learning adjustments, but heck...all the pins went down

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by 5280 Hooker View Post
    I'm new so sorry for the dumb question...(lots more too come...lol)

Why do you get shunned upon if you bowl lots of "Brooklyn" type strikes? I do it all the time because I'm inconsistent and just learning adjustments, but heck...all the pins went down
    The best chance of getting a strike for a right hander comes from hitting the 1-3 pocket. When the ball hits "Brooklyn", even though you've gotten a strike and accompished the objective of knocking down all the pins, you've clearly missed the target you were aiming at. Some bowlers feel that because you haven't thrown a "good" strike, you shouldn't be congratulated. Don't let them get you down. On the other hand, don't get the idea that you don't need to improve just because you carry a lot of brooklyn hits.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 0

It's a mystery to me too--it all counts the same on the score sheet.

I got a new ball yesterday afternoon (Bad Intentions), threw about 8-10 shots with it to make sure it fit, and then had to get going because of other commitments. I got a call from the alley to sub in a Wednesday night league as an emergency, so I did. My old ball is getting resurfaced/plugged, so I only had one main ball to use--the Bad Intentions. Not being used to its aggressiveness, I had a ton of Brooklyn strikes....leaving many shaking their heads. I wasn't happy either, but I don't "get" the disdain some show for it.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    It's a mystery to me too--it all counts the same on the score sheet.

I got a new ball yesterday afternoon (Bad Intentions), threw about 8-10 shots with it to make sure it fit, and then had to get going because of other commitments. I got a call from the alley to sub in a Wednesday night league as an emergency, so I did. My old ball is getting resurfaced/plugged, so I only had one main ball to use--the Bad Intentions. Not being used to its aggressiveness, I had a ton of Brooklyn strikes....leaving many shaking their heads. I wasn't happy either, but I don't "get" the disdain some show for it.
    It's just human nature. If an experienced bowler is throwing it "right", i.e. keeping his or her first ball in or almost in the pocket, and is only getting the occasional strike, they will be bothered by someone else who gets a few strikes doing it "wrong". These are usually the same people who scream they were robbed after leaving a 5 pin, weak ten, or a 4 pin.
    John

I always feel bad and never know if I should congratulate someone on a Brooklyn strike...most of the time I know it's because they missed their target. So I guess I could say "Nice miss" (same thing I say in golf sometimes) or just not say anything at all.
    You could also consider Brooklyn hits as being extremely high pocket or backend pocket hits! If that makes it sound better. lol
    Curr. League Avg: 203
    High Game/Series: 279/705
    Arsenal: Roto Grip Hyper Cell (15#), Storm IQ Tour Nano (15#), Storm Mix (15#)
    PAP: 3 5/8" - 1/2" --- I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

again, being a newbie. whats a brooklyn strike? also any strike is a strike in my book.
    jeff

Bowler
    Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by britjeff View Post
    again, being a newbie. whats a brooklyn strike? also any strike is a strike in my book.
    A brooklyn strike is where the ball crosses over to the other side of the head pin but still carries a strike. It's considered a lucky strike which is why it's often looked down upon but I really feel like bowling gives and takes so I gladly take it when it happens. For every brooklyn strike or trip strike will be a shot that you thought was good off your hand but it ends up ringing a 10 pin or something of the sort so it evens out in the end.

Weirdest thing for me is, "back in the day," when I was throwing rubber on wood lanes -- down and in, I always threw more Brooklyn strikes than 1-3 pocket strikes. I'd hit the pocket time after time and leave spares. Nearly every single time I threw Brooklyn, it would strike. One game I finally just gave up throwing to the pocket and scored in the 250s hitting Brooklyn.

somebody please explain that to me!

I am fascinated by the use of the word Brooklyn for a strike on the opposite side of the headpin. I am not use to it, I do not know if it is because I am from New York but we always called it Jersey.
    Just call me Twisted
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jnv32185 View Post
    I am fascinated by the use of the word Brooklyn for a strike on the opposite side of the headpin. I am not use to it, I do not know if it is because I am from New York but we always called it Jersey.
    It's definitely regional. I have a friend who grew up in Penn. who calls them Jersey strikes, here in CT we always called them Brooklyn.
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast