Thread: Cupping vs. Cocking

Default Cupping vs. Cocking

I've used the methods of cocking and cupping, and I know what they are. But what exactly does each one do? I find that when I cup the ball, I seem to get a more aggressive break, and with cocking the ball will start to break earlier. But what does each method specifically do?

"cupping" or wrist flexion in my experience adds revs when done properly.

wrist cocking for me changes tilt.
    PAP - 6 1/4 1/8 up
    speed 16-16.5 monitor
    ~400-450 revs

I am a Proud Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Perrin View Post
    "cupping" or wrist flexion in my experience adds revs when done properly.

wrist cocking for me changes tilt.
    Works the same way for me.

Appreciate the responses. Now, in which situation would be best to use them? Meaning, if the lanes were oily, which should I use, and same with dry lanes?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by HowDoIHookAgain View Post
    Appreciate the responses. Now, in which situation would be best to use them? Meaning, if the lanes were oily, which should I use, and same with dry lanes?
    You will need to be a lot more specific than "lanes were oily", and "lanes were dry".

If the lane had oil EVERYWHERE, such that getting the ball to change direction was very difficult, then cupping, or cocking the wrist is going to have a negative effect on accuracy, while providing no gain in power thru the pins.

The ball only senses the oil which is under the path of the ball.

That means if there is a dry part of the lane, but the path you throw it on is only in the heavy oil, the ball will react as if the lane had heavy oil.

Meanwhile someone else on the same lanes, playing a different path could say the lanes were a little dry that night.

I increase the axis tilt when even a plastic ball doesn't want to skid thru the first 15 feet, but I haven't seen that condition is a lot of years, with one extreme exception.

I usually don't adjust the cupping portion, I'm more likely to increase ball speed, than reduce rev rate.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

The higher the axis tilt the longer the ball will want to go.
    Axis rotation will determine direction change as it exits the breakpoint.
    Rev rate is the ball RPM going around it's axis

How much cupping and cocking depends on the bowler and lane condiitions. Learning to control as many of these bowler variables as possible and when to use them is what seperates us.
    Mike White used a great example. When most people adjust with speed they also tend to increase the rev rate essentially keeping the same ratio which would result in minimal change downlane. Changing axis rotation seems to be the easiest for bowlers to learn.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com