Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funny Story from Last Night

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Default Funny Story from Last Night

So, last night was the first night of my (first) scratch league. Things start out fairly well for me, sans a barely missed 7-pin. We're in the first game for this story.

One guy on the other team (let's call him Bob) throws the Greek Church on the first ball, follows up with a turkey. A guy on my team (let's call him Jim) throws the front 4.

Then, the machine breaks down. We had a delay of at least 15 minutes.

Bob gets up, throws 2 more strikes. Jim throws 2 more--he now has the front 6.

Several very loud claps of thunder are heard, over all the noise. We all saw the storm coming on the way in.

Jim gets up for ball 7, and just as he's about to release the ball, the lights go out--we lost power. Amazingly, Jim threw a perfect ball and got his 7th. The house waits around for about 30 minutes, when it's heard over the scanner that a transformer blew nearby and they were paging the fire department. Thus, we all decided to leave (in near total darkness) because it's going to be a while.

So, I guess next week we're going to start with what's left of the 7th frame. Each team took photos of their monitors, because somehow, they were still on--the only thing in the building, besides a couple of emergency lights. That's the first time in all my years of bowling that I've seen the power totally go out. I've seen a machine catch fire and fill the alley with smoke, but never a total power outage.

Chats: 256

Wow, wonder what the rules state as what to do in that instance. Should the frames put up be thrown out and you start over? Or, as you said, start from the 7th frame and finish out the game?
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    Wow, wonder what the rules state as what to do in that instance. Should the frames put up be thrown out and you start over? Or, as you said, start from the 7th frame and finish out the game?
    It's happened before, and the game was continued.

I've had the electricity go out 2 times while at the bowling alley.

1st time we were in the meeting room, which was down a hallway next to the control desk, then turn left, go past the league coordinators office, then into thru the last door.

The room didn't share any walls with the outside, so there were no windows.

When the lights went out, it was so dark, you literally couldn't see your hand in front of your face.

2nd time was during an 8 gamer. I had just release the ball when the power went out. Fortunately it was during the day, so plenty of light came through the glass doors on each end.

It was about game #6, and I wasn't doing very well. I told one of the other bowlers, I would leave..... but they've got me by the ball..

No power, no ball return.

I have no memory of that tournament continuing, so it was either postponed, or once my ball did come back I left, or the more likely possibility is my memory is getting that bad.
    Last edited by Mike White; 09-03-2015 at 01:26 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    So, I guess next week we're going to start with what's left of the 7th frame. Each team took photos of their monitors, because somehow, they were still on--the only thing in the building, besides a couple of emergency lights.
    While taking photos of the monitors was a good idea.

Depending on the system they use and how it backs up the games, they should be able to put them back up from where you left off.

We've had power failures here and they were able to reload the load games from the server later that evening. It would just depend on how their system backs up the info and if it would do it another day.

This is covered under Rule 106 – League Game/Series.

106c. Interrupted Game/Series

If equipment failure on a pair of lanes would delay the progress of a series, league officers can:
    1. Authorize the game and series to be completed on another pair of certified lanes; or
    2. Authorize the game and/or series to be bowled on one lane when another pair of certified lanes is
    not available. However, when the original pair or another pair of certified lanes becomes available,
    the team(s) may resume play on a pair of lanes.

An interrupted game and series shall be resumed from the point of interruption.

When authorized, the requirements of Rule 106a and Rule 106b do not apply.
    NOTE: Scores bowled while using one lane shall qualify for USBC award recognition.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-03-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Chats: 256

I knew Bowl1820 would come through with the rule. Thanks for that.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Banned
    Chats: 68

I knew Bowl1820 would come through with the rule. Thanks for that.
    There is also this one.

116b. Scores Lost
    When game(s) or frame(s) within a game are irretrievably lost in the scoring process, the following procedures shall apply:
    1. Scores that can be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains stand and the game shall resume from the point of interruption in regular order.
    2. Scores that cannot be documented or agreed upon by the opposing team captains shall be rebowled, unless the board of directors rules them null and void.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    I told one of the other bowlers, I would leave..... but they've got me by the ball..

No power, no ball return.
    Lol. It's funny, I've never had the power go out on me. I have had my ball stuck sitting in the pit before though. One center has a 2 hour flat rate deal, pre-paid, and the the lane shuts down exactly as soon as 2 hours is up, regardless if your ball is traveling down the lane at the time!
    Desk clerk just has to power it back on long enough for ball to return of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jlwonderley View Post
    Lol. It's funny, I've never had the power go out on me. I have had my ball stuck sitting in the pit before though. One center has a 2 hour flat rate deal, pre-paid, and the the lane shuts down exactly as soon as 2 hours is up, regardless if your ball is traveling down the lane at the time!
    Desk clerk just has to power it back on long enough for ball to return of course.
    Hep that happens to me all the time. They should have at least a 30 second delay from when the lanes shut down to when the ball return does. Heck it even happens when I'm playing by the game. Usually occurs if I end up marking and throw a third ball in the 10th frame

Chats: 0

The Andy Griffith Show
    Season 8 Episode 2: Howard the Bowler
    Aired Monday 9:30 PM Sep 18, 1967 on CBS

Same scenario almost 50 years ago. Does Mayberry defeat Mount Pilot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mLsJf7hdic
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 221

I had it happen to me once. About a minute after I threw my ball and left a solid 9 for 299 the power went out. I wish it would have happened as I threw my ball as i would have crawled down the lane and made sure there were no pins standing LOL
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast