Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Entering my first tournament, what should I expect.

Chats: 10

Default Entering my first tournament, what should I expect.

Next week we have our county tournament. My first tournament ever. I'm doing the team, partner and individual. What should I expect? I
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 1

First things first relax and keep in mind that win or lose you love bowling an it's all fun! You are only bowling yourself forget about all the others. Next get yourself into some brackets. A lot is going all around you so if this is more then one weekend show up on a day your not bowling and people watch get used to the noise and all that. That's about all I can tell you I bowled some of the Ozark open as a young man so my team always made a party out if the weekend. Vdub might be the guy to give you a better idea.

Chats: 256

Good luck

Just have fun. Don't take it too serious.

Bowl your own game one frame at a time. If you get a split or miss a spare, shake it off and get your mind focused on scoring the next frame. Don't let negativity or other outside sources bother you.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Good luck, Blomer.

Expect a slightly more serious version of what you see on league night. Some drunkards, some jerks, and some clueless people.

Try to take it as a normal night as much as possible. If you do well the first game, forget about it because the first game's score has zero to do with game two. Conversely, if you throw 120 the first game....that doesn't mean you won't throw 220 the second game.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Have confidence and expect to bowl well. I don't think any of us enter a tournament and not expect to do well. If it is at a different center you have not bowled at before take some time before practice and get used to the approaches. When practice starts look around for ball reaction info and if you switch pairs between doubles and singles make sure to watch reactions on the pair you are switching to as they are finishing. Good luck, good bowling, have fun, and gain some knowledge.

Pin Crusher

Always been hit or miss with tournaments. Smaller ones at houses around town I do well at, but I go to state and tank. Take a deep breath, and just remember to have fun. I'm in SE Wisconsin, where is your tourny?
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

i would just go and have fun w/ your team that your going with
    current avg 203
    in the bag:crux, rocket, fury

Start with your benchmark ball and watch it carefully. The sooner you ball up or down, the better off you are in practice to find your line. Watch the others bowling on or near your line and watch for shots that turn early, and move off of their mistakes. Stay ahead of the oil breakdown and you'll score well.

Chats: 10

Thanks for all the advice, but I bombed. Lol. Couldn't find my line. During warm ups I did well, but once it counted, yikes. It was an overall good experience and will do again next year.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Ringer

Sorry to hear that, Blomer!

It's a good experience to bowl in those types of events, no matter what.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast