Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    If I read the original post correctly you had an opportunity to bowl head to head. They were going to make it up. You got your notification.
    I think the difference is between notification, and the answer to an inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Briantime View Post
    I must confess these posts always befuddle me a bit...

I though league bowling was supposed to be fun. Seems like a lot of people get all bent out of shape about rule violations. I mean...it's a local bowling league, yes?
    So far on the teams I am on we haven't filed any complaints but lets be honest, it gets old when you find guys / teams trying to make up their own rules. After all it's a competition although a friendly one for low stakes and we keep that in mind.
    Have you ever played a game of any type and caught someone cheating over and over ? It might not bother some people but competitive people usually aren't too thrilled playing against people that cheat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Back in 89/90 during the limited distance dressing days, they only stripped the lanes on Tuesday Early am, and Friday Early am.

With the exception of Tuesday, and Friday, everyday was just oil on top of existing oil, with no cleaning.

I bowled on both Monday, and Thursday, which by your reasoning would be the worst days.

On Monday that season, I shot 300, 299, and a 771 high series which was high in that scratch league.

On Thursday that season, I shot a couple of 289s, and a 791 high series which was high in that scratch league also.

Maybe the problem is, you haven't been using the right ball.
    Isn't bowling intended to be competitors bowling on the same lanes at the same time.
    By your example you're suggesting that teams should be able to bowl anytime on any lane conditions and still call it a fair competition?

Seems like allowing that creates some problems, lets say we are bowling in a sport league with varying patterns, so whenever we are on a pattern you score poorly on you go and prebowl on a house pattern, and that should be fine with the rest of the league ....

Where the 90's come into play on this issue is questionable, why does it matter what the lanes, balls and conditions were then to now.
    It fine if you have issues or disagree with how lanes, dressing and balls are built managed and handled between the olden days and now but it doesn't nullify everything since 1990. The game has moved on and it's probably not going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Isn't bowling intended to be competitors bowling on the same lanes at the same time.
    By your example you're suggesting that teams should be able to bowl anytime on any lane conditions and still call it a fair competition?

Seems like allowing that creates some problems, lets say we are bowling in a sport league with varying patterns, so whenever we are on a pattern you score poorly on you go and prebowl on a house pattern, and that should be fine with the rest of the league ....

Where the 90's come into play on this issue is questionable, why does it matter what the lanes, balls and conditions were then to now.
    It fine if you have issues or disagree with how lanes, dressing and balls are built managed and handled between the olden days and now but it doesn't nullify everything since 1990. The game has moved on and it's probably not going back.
    So true! Bowling is not going back to pre-resin days, no matter how right, or wrong, that may be.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    So true! Bowling is not going back to pre-resin days, no matter how right, or wrong, that may be.
    That may be, but bowling is also headed towards open bowling, and moonlight bowling.

League bowling is circling the drain.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

I'm not a stickler for rules, but, if the ones on the books aren't enforced....what's the point of having them?

My Wednesday (scratch) league has to have an approved sub list. If you haven't bowled in the league before, one of the members has to "invite" you, or otherwise get approval from league officers. No subs allowed for positional rounds unless it's due to injury or something very extreme.

Well, on the first positional night of the season, a team shows up with a guy who had never bowled in the league before. In essence, a double no-no. The captains voted to allow the guy to bowl, and he threw a sub-500 series. We've all been there--not picking on the guy at all. But, in a case like this......why even have rules? I'm not a captain in this league, and I don't care much about the rule.

My thing is....if you voted at one point to implement this and you can change it whenever you want, why have the rule at all?
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jab5325 View Post
    I'm not a stickler for rules, but, if the ones on the books aren't enforced....what's the point of having them?

My Wednesday (scratch) league has to have an approved sub list. If you haven't bowled in the league before, one of the members has to "invite" you, or otherwise get approval from league officers. No subs allowed for positional rounds unless it's due to injury or something very extreme.

Well, on the first positional night of the season, a team shows up with a guy who had never bowled in the league before. In essence, a double no-no. The captains voted to allow the guy to bowl, and he threw a sub-500 series. We've all been there--not picking on the guy at all. But, in a case like this......why even have rules? I'm not a captain in this league, and I don't care much about the rule.

My thing is....if you voted at one point to implement this and you can change it whenever you want, why have the rule at all?

That is a rather strange rule, mainly the part of "or otherwise get approval from league officers".

If no member is willing to "invite" you, but you can get approval from league officers, which team (of non inviters) are you going to sub for?

Pin Crusher

As a long time secretary I sit down every summer on the patio and reread my By-laws. I make my sit and listen to see if she understands what they mean. (she isn't a league bowler anymore) If I find anything that is confusing or just plain unworkable I make sure it is corrected. The one thing that is the hardest is postponements, make ups, pre bowl etc. Everyone has an opinion as to what is right or wrong. You will never get a consensus.
    The rule in this situation is silly. If you have an emergency the morning of league you may not have time to notify anyone but the center or sec. You must have reasonable rules and live by them. Like I said before if you get to the center and find out the other team is going to make it you have a right to find a time you can both agree upon and bowl head to head. I would rather bowl with the whole league and win a mystery or other pot.

Ringer

That is a rather strange rule, mainly the part of "or otherwise get approval from league officers".

If no member is willing to "invite" you, but you can get approval from league officers, which team (of non inviters) are you going to sub for?
    Not disagreeing at all--it's also not the only strange thing in the bylaws.

Nevertheless, it's a bunch of good guys who are very serious about the sport.....so it's a lot of fun.
    Current Average: 190

My Arsenal:
    Hammer Bad Intentions
    Storm Rocket
    Hammer Black Urethane
    Columbia WD Spare Ball

That may be, but bowling is also headed towards open bowling, and moonlight bowling.

League bowling is circling the drain.
    Of course we know that league bowling has been on the decline for a number of years but "circling the drain" seems a little overly pessimistic.
    The has been some resurgence in leagues around some area's where they have implemented beer and pizza leagues, attracting some former league bowlers and some new bowlers.
    League bowling has survived for quite a while and it might be a little premature to write it off just yet. You never know what new idea's could advance the sport.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast