Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bowling with an injury

Default Bowling with an injury

Hey everybody!

As we get older our bodies start breaking down and force us to bowl with nagging injuries that seem to crop up here and there.

I have had shoulder problems for the last few years that forced me to go from a 215 right handed bowler down below a 200 average for the first time in forever.

It was then I decided to try switching to left handed since my shoulder was causing weakness and fatigue in the right arm enough to try it.

Well I went from a 130 avg up to a 175 left handed in just over a year but the frustration of becoming a sub par bowler, well in my eyes based on my track record righty, I decided to switch back to righty last year and was able to hold a respectable 196 avg although my game by game avg score shows a significant drop in score. ie first fame avg 207 and last game 189ish. I forget the exact score.

But my question is what are some of the things that any of you find useful in dealing with a shoulder injury.

I dropped the weight of my ball down this year from 14 lbs to 13 lbs but need to be very conscious of the drop weight to avoid muscling the ball thru my shot. But the carry is around the same as with a 16 lb ball and def allows me to bowl 3 games without major fatigue issues I had before I went lefty.

I also use the compression sleeves on my elbow that helps and I tried a shoulder brace but it was too restrictive and actually made the shoulder worse. Anyone want to buy one hardly used?

Of course I take a few tylenol too before bowling as well which helps too.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions in advance.

I've had 4 surgeries on my right shoulder, and in need of a 5th. I wear a compression shirt and a compression shoulder brace. While my shoulder may annoy me once in a while while I bowl, it's not nearly as bad as when I didn't have anything on my shoulder.

I've had my left knee operated on 7 times, and needs to be replaced. I wear a compression sleeve, a knee brace and compression pants. While the pain isn't as bad as it was, it can still bring tears to my eyes at times. Nothing more I can do except get another injection or 2 of Celestone until I can get it replaced.

Injuries just don't go away. They need to be addressed by the proper physician. And while injections can be good for up to 6 months, they only cover up what's wrong.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Empire895 View Post
    Hey everybody!

As we get older our bodies start breaking down and force us to bowl with nagging injuries that seem to crop up here and there.

I have had shoulder problems for the last few years that forced me to go from a 215 right handed bowler down below a 200 average for the first time in forever.

It was then I decided to try switching to left handed since my shoulder was causing weakness and fatigue in the right arm enough to try it.

Well I went from a 130 avg up to a 175 left handed in just over a year but the frustration of becoming a sub par bowler, well in my eyes based on my track record righty, I decided to switch back to righty last year and was able to hold a respectable 196 avg although my game by game avg score shows a significant drop in score. ie first fame avg 207 and last game 189ish. I forget the exact score.

But my question is what are some of the things that any of you find useful in dealing with a shoulder injury.

I dropped the weight of my ball down this year from 14 lbs to 13 lbs but need to be very conscious of the drop weight to avoid muscling the ball thru my shot. But the carry is around the same as with a 16 lb ball and def allows me to bowl 3 games without major fatigue issues I had before I went lefty.

I also use the compression sleeves on my elbow that helps and I tried a shoulder brace but it was too restrictive and actually made the shoulder worse. Anyone want to buy one hardly used?

Of course I take a few tylenol too before bowling as well which helps too.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions in advance.
    Hate to say this, but my only relief was finally having rotator cuff surgery. I didn't go back to the game for 6 years after that (10+ months rehab, and then self-imposed). If you have a doctor, talk to him, as there could be a very simple therapy you could be doing to get your shoulder back.
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Thanks, you reminded me I bought a compression shirt last year and that really helped, now where the hell did I put that thing.

Thanks to a new kidney stone, I'll be bowling the next few weeks or so on some good narcotics.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by Timmyb View Post
    Hate to say this, but my only relief was finally having rotator cuff surgery. I didn't go back to the game for 6 years after that (10+ months rehab, and then self-imposed). If you have a doctor, talk to him, as there could be a very simple therapy you could be doing to get your shoulder back.
    Thanks, yeah I have been putting off the inevitable but as a full time musician and working DJ and soundman I lug a lot of equipment every day but will just have to hire a roadie and get the surgery before this gets worse than it already is. \m/

Then maybe I can get my A game back. I am tired of the youngsters in our league beating us up every week and would love to have my arm back to compete with them. lol

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Thanks to a new kidney stone, I'll be bowling the next few weeks or so on some good narcotics.
    LOL!!! Best of luck, kidney stones are no joke! Get well soon!

Thanks, yeah I have been putting off the inevitable but as a full time musician and working DJ and soundman I lug a lot of equipment every day but will just have to hire a roadie and get the surgery before this gets worse than it already is. \m/

Then maybe I can get my A game back. I am tired of the youngsters in our league beating us up every week and would love to have my arm back to compete with them. lol
    BEST orthopedist is Dr. Robert C. Hendler in Goshen. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be walking. He also did my first 2 shoulder surgeries.

LOL!!! Best of luck, kidney stones are no joke! Get well soon!
    Thank you

This is my second bout with them this year alone! Back in April I had to have 2 8mm stones lasered and had a stent for 3 lousy weeks.

The one I have now is 5.6mm. I'm hoping that the doc will prescribe Flowmax with the hope of passing it, but I think it's too big.

And you are right...They are no joke! I had to go to the hospital on Monday morning at about 2-2:30am in dire pain. I bowled monday afternoon at 12:30 and shot a 591. Not too bad considering I was all drugged up! lol

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post

Now that should be a cause for video!
    Old guy with power (15.5-16; 325). Current arsenal--Storm Summit, RotoGrip Idol Helios, Storm Phaze III, Storm SureLock (retired), Storm IQ Tour Nano and Motiv Rebel tank (spare/dry). High sanctioned game - 300 (4). High sanctioned series - 856. A.V. 300-s - 8. Longest string - 25.
    2023/2024 YTD highs--High game-300; high series-739

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast