Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 3 Steppers?

Default Any 3 Steppers?

I'm curious who uses a three step approach and why you have stuck with it versus the traditional four and five step.
    I am currently learning with the four step and am curious if one less step is good / bad / neutral..

Thanks..

Chats: 0

I've seen 6 steps but never 3.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Generally, 3 steps never work as bowling, regardless of the number of steps taken, is always based on four steps. With more than four steps, the ball is held in a neutral position until the last four steps. The only time that I have seen 3 steps work was with a senior bowler whose knees were so bad that he could not use any kind of traditional approach. He solved his problem by taking two very short shuffle steps, using a significant pause after the second one, before starting his slide. A physical disability would be the only reason that I would ever recommend using a three step approach. In other cases it just results in very late timing, and very bad bowling.

ABC Hall of Famer Lee Jouglard used three steps, so it's possible but not recommended

Chats: 32

Seems like I seen an old video where Earl Anthony (may have been someone else from that time frame) was demonstrating a 3, 4, and 5 step approach but even he said that the three was difficult to time because the ball had to be in motion before the feet started. I agree with Rob though unless there is some physical disability there is absolutely no advantage and a lot of disadvantages to a three step approach. You would be better off simply using a one step drill it would be easier to master at least you would have a consistent starting spot with that method.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

4 steps is the way to go. I started bowling with the basic 4 step approach, but 5 steps works best for me. I haven't used the 4 steps approach in almost 10 yrs?? but, I some times do use the 3 step approach. It's rare (3 step approach) now these days since I don't bowl as much as I did in the past. But, there are times where I find myself in front of the ball return.

I don't plan on bowling like this in tourneys or travel leagues, but it's good to know how to bowl with 3 step approach. (the lanes will tell you and your equipment too - or the lack of it too) Having a good coach will help you determine what style is good for you. But rest assure. he/she will not recommend the 3 step approach unless really have to.

When I was a youngster, I started out bowling with three steps. When I got a bit older (around 12 or so), I thought I needed more speed on the ball. Since it felt natural to start my motion with my left foot, I went from three to five steps.
    There is a fellow in our senior league who takes two steps and he falls off on most every shot. It due to timing issues. He has a hard time getting his trailing leg behind himself early enough.
    The only reason to go to two or three steps would be on those occasions where you have to line yourself up in front of the ball return, but timing is likely the biggest thing to have to overcome.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

I like 3, with more steps you get late, with less steps you get early

Great info- exactly what I was looking for..

Thanks all...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Edy13 View Post
    I'm curious who uses a three step approach and why you have stuck with it versus the traditional four and five step.
    I am currently learning with the four step and am curious if one less step is good / bad / neutral..

Thanks..
    I am still a three step bowler. The why is that for the first 30 some years that I bowled, I did not take the game all that seriously, and had no formal lessons or coaching. I haven't changed because I have doubts as to whether the results would be worth the effort.

That said, there is in my opinion only one reason some one learning the game now to try a three step approach is to have it as an option in case lane conditions force you to line up in front of the ball return.
    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast