Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticking and falling

Chats: 1

Default Sticking and falling

So I'm trying to understand a rule here. Tonight I stuck on my approach on a piece of tape that had apparently fallen out of someone's ball or something. I stuck and my momentum forced me to fall face first onto the lane fouling. Why is there not some sort of clause that allows someone to roll the first ball again instead of taking the 0 for fouling?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    So I'm trying to understand a rule here. Tonight I stuck on my approach on a piece of tape that had apparently fallen out of someone's ball or something. I stuck and my momentum forced me to fall face first onto the lane fouling. Why is there not some sort of clause that allows someone to roll the first ball again instead of taking the 0 for fouling?
    There is, you have to file a protest under Rule 10 – Provisional Ball, if you and the team captains can't work it out, then its up to the board to decide if you get the foul or the pins.

Rule 10 – Provisional Ball
    A provisional ball or frame shall be bowled when a protest involving a foul, legal pinfall or a dead ball is
    made and cannot be resolved by the two team captains or a tournament official.

The following procedures apply when a dispute occurs:
    a. For the first ball of any frame, or after the second ball in the 10th frame if the first ball was a strike:
    1. Foul: The player shall complete the frame and then bowl one provisional ball at a full setup of
    pins.
    2. Illegal Pinfall: The player shall complete the frame and then bowl one provisional ball at the
    same setup which would have remained standing had the disputed pin(s) not have fallen.
    3. Dead Ball: The player shall complete the frame and then bowl a complete provisional frame.
    b. On a spare attempt or the third ball of the 10th frame:
    1. Foul and Illegal Pinfall: No provisional ball is necessary.
    2. Dead Ball: A provisional ball shall be bowled at the same setup which was standing when the
    disputed ball was bowled.

The score sheet and a record of both scores for the frame in which the provisional delivery was
    made shall be kept. The protest must be referred to the league board of directors or tournament
    management for a decision. If they are unable to make a decision, the local association or USBC can be
    asked for a decision on submission of the facts relating to the protest.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-29-2016 at 11:01 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

While you guys are here, can I go again if somebody talks louder during my shot? When I bowl well people talk during my shot

uses ax expensive 12 dollar helps clean the approach well with a maid's elbow.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-29-2016 at 11:06 PM.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    while you guys are here, can i go again if somebody talks louder during my shot? When i bowl well people talk during my shot
    nope

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Is there something in the rules that makes an allowance if there is something on the approach ? I've seen guys stick on the approach far too many times to count, and I've never seen anyone take a do-over.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Is there something in the rules that makes an allowance if there is something on the approach ?
    Essentially that's the same question the O.P. asked.

Really it's up to the bowler to make sure the approach is clear and that they are ready to bowl before they make a shot.

Like in the case of the O.P., he fell because of piece of tape. He either didn't check his shoe before he got on the approach and/or he didn't look at & check the approach before making his shot.

If the bowlers having a problem with sticky lanes they should report it to the house and have them spot clean the approach before making a shot.

Bowlers should check the approach before making a shot to be sure there are no foreign objects on the approach such as tape, wet spots etc. that could affect their footing.

They should check their shoe soles before getting on the approach to make sure they are not wet or have something like tape stuck on them.

Slide your foot back and forth on the approach a little before each shot to check your slide before making a shot.

I've seen guys stick on the approach far too many times to count, and I've never seen anyone take a do-over.
    Most people don't know all the rules and the options available to them, like the "Provisional Ball" thus don't utilize them.

That and a lot times people just don't bother, because it's too much trouble going through all the steps. So most of the time people just blow it off and take the foul and get on with it.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 09-30-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    That and a lot times people just don't bother, because it's too much trouble going through all the steps. So most of the time people just blow it off and take the foul and get on with it.
    This after I spent an hour showing them where it was in the rule book then everyone would argue about for an hour then if they let it go no fewer than three people would complain to the USBC about it lol. I'd rather just take the 0 thank you.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    This after I spent an hour showing them where it was in the rule book then everyone would argue about for an hour then if they let it go no fewer than three people would complain to the USBC about it lol. I'd rather just take the 0 thank you.
    Its the kinda situation where you would go through all the steps to do it, and the waiting, and then tug the next ball and leave a nasty split.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Essentially that's the same question the O.P. asked.

Really it's up to the bowler to make sure the approach is clear and that they are ready to bowl before they make a shot.

Like in the case of the O.P., he fell because of piece of tape. He either didn't check his shoe before he got on the approach and/or he didn't look at & check the approach before making his shot.

If the bowlers having a problem with sticky lanes they should report it to the house and have them spot clean the approach before making a shot.

Bowlers should check the approach before making a shot to be sure there are no foreign objects on the approach such as tape, wet spots etc. that could affect their footing.

They should check their shoe soles before getting on the approach to make sure they are not wet or have something like tape stuck on them.

Slide your foot back and forth on the approach a little before each shot to check your slide before making a shot.

Most people don't know all the rules and the options available to them, like the "Provisional Ball" thus don't utilize them.

I can certainly agree about looking at the approach and sliding your foot on the edge of the approach to ensure you haven't gotten something on your shoe, it's a part of most bowlers pre-shot routine. I have also seen people call he desk to clean the approach because something got on there that caused a problem. I didn't know about the provisional ball rule but I wouldn't consider using it unless I was in a high stakes situation(if even then). I seems like overkill to use it in regular league bowling, I'm also sure my teammates and opponents would give anyone trying to do it a load of crap.
    I have never seen anyone in league use this rule, however I have seen guys leave their shoe sock on and do a cartoon like flip in the air , or walk into the kitchen or bathroom and bowl with a wet shoe and go down face first on the approach.

Chats: 0

We had a sticky spot on the middle of the right lane's approach last week. Multiple bowlers stuck but no one could find what was doing it. No one fouled but two people fell. Strange night. Wonder if anyone would have asked for a do-over if they fouled. Doubt anyone would protest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast