Thread: Prize Fund

Chats: 55

Default Prize Fund

What say you? Should the Treasurer of the league be part of the 3 member Prize Fund Committee, or just provide the calculation of the funds available?
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    What say you? Should the Treasurer of the league be part of the 3 member Prize Fund Committee, or just provide the calculation of the funds available?
    Ideally the treasurer would just calculate how much should be in the prize fund at the end of the season. Most of the leagues I’ve been involved with would have been hard pressed to find three people to serve on any committee without including one or two elected officers to serve. Still, if you can get more people involved you will have a bigger base of talent to draw from when you need to replace the league officers.
    John

Who cares? The League Secretary is working his/her butt off. If they want to be on the Prize Committee, more power to them!

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Who cares? The League Secretary is working his/her butt off. If they want to be on the Prize Committee, more power to them!
    I was coming more from the direction that it might be perceived as a control issue from the other members. And, it is always hard to get volunteers, so most likely the treasurer would play a big part in the committee even if they weren't actually "appointed" to the committee by the President. I know I always do, but have never been listed as part of the committee. This year, our President got into an argument when trying to find volunteers and just basically said to me (as Secy/Treas) to just do it.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by classygranny View Post
    I was coming more from the direction that it might be perceived as a control issue from the other members. And, it is always hard to get volunteers, so most likely the treasurer would play a big part in the committee even if they weren't actually "appointed" to the committee by the President. I know I always do, but have never been listed as part of the committee. This year, our President got into an argument when trying to find volunteers and just basically said to me (as Secy/Treas) to just do it.
    Is the president asking you serve on the committee, serve on and recruit the other two members, or just run the whole thing by yourself?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Is the president asking you serve on the committee, serve on and recruit the other two members, or just run the whole thing by yourself?
    Unsure...she was not in a good mood - 1st day of bowling and lots of walk-ins that needed average verification.

We usually have a 3 person committee. I, as treasurer, give them the estimated amount and what was submitted the prior year. Then they decide what to change, and I type it up and distribute. Although, I've never been listed in the records as part of the committee. Yesterday, there were only two volunteers, and I want to document the procedures, so I was wondering if I should put myself in as a committee member, or wait til next week and just appoint someone, or, I guess there could be a 2 person committee - come to think of it.

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Why do bowlers need average verification on day 1? Does your league use some sort of entering average? 99% of leagues here use the first week's scores for establishing average. Makes it so much easier.

It is the league President's duty to appoint the Prize Fund Committee (Rule 102c). If you are the only one the President appointed, you are that committee. If you want more people appointed, you should talk to the President and ask for more appointments. Don't take it upon yourself to start appointing more people. That way there is no question or grumbling from league members about who is on the committee if they were appointed by someone other than the President.

Bowling Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ryster View Post
    Why do bowlers need average verification on day 1? Does your league use some sort of entering average? 99% of leagues here use the first week's scores for establishing average. Makes it so much easier.

It is the league President's duty to appoint the Prize Fund Committee (Rule 102c). If you are the only one the President appointed, you are that committee. If you want more people appointed, you should talk to the President and ask for more appointments. Don't take it upon yourself to start appointing more people. That way there is no question or grumbling from league members about who is on the committee if they were appointed by someone other than the President.
    Most of the leagues that I’ve bowled in over the last 46 years, whether a sanctioned ABC/USBC League or not, use a bowler’s average from the previous season for the first three weeks. The exception is for new bowlers joining the league who then establish an average with the first night’s scores. In theory this keeps people from blatantly sandbagging.
    John

Ringer
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    Most of the leagues that I’ve bowled in over the last 46 years, whether a sanctioned ABC/USBC League or not, use a bowler’s average from the previous season for the first three weeks. The exception is for new bowlers joining the league who then establish an average with the first night’s scores. In theory this keeps people from blatantly sandbagging.
    Only 2 leagues I have bowled on in the past 26 years have used the previous season average for the first 3 weeks. One was a handicap league, the other was a scratch league (average used for team cap purposes and in the event you bowl unopposed.)

Using previous season average for the first 3 weeks doesn't do anything to stop sandbagging. People just bowl poorly the first three weeks and get to start using their "new" lower average on week 4.

Sandbagging is never an issue on a scratch league, other than subs who keep their average down to fit in to the cap and then step things up when they need to win their point in a close match.