Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: competition, does it make you bowl better?

Default competition, does it make you bowl better?

I've been bowling with my wife every Sunday, it's our day out together. She started in January, averages 80, and sees it as just something to do together. Her thing is Running. I average 180+ over our Sunday games since we started mid January.

I signed up for a summer league, and went up to sub on that league last Wednesday to try and get into the Wednesday after work routine. I ended up with a team where the averages are 200+ and averaged 216 myself. I knew I had to stay up with my guy on the other team if I was going to contribute to the team effort. I took 2 games, and my opponent took one game and total pins, so I felt I held my own.

So the question is, competition, does it make you bowl better? Based on my experience, I believe it does.
    Talk To Your Ball, Listen To The Lane!

RH, HG 299, HS 714

In The Bag
    Energy - Gravity - Bite - Maxim

I am a proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Chats: 0

Great question. A lot depends on personality types, motivation and frame of mind. Sounds like your wife is having fun enjoying time with you so competition probably wouldn't make much difference in bowling but might be a different story in a 5K run. You on the other hand seem to want a challenge and a tougher league in bowling provides that. So for you competition does induce better performance. A league environment is a great place to learn the "skill" of competitive bowling before entering tournaments which is a whole different mindset, especially the head to head competition. As long as you are enjoying what you are doing, focusing on each shot and staying relaxed while bowling you will perform at your best. Sounds like you have a great doubles partner and great team mates, enjoy the time together.
    Bowling is fun - Winning just adds to the enjoyment

Mark P. Gutkowski
    USBC Silver Coach
    IBPSIA Certified
    playbowlpro.com

Bowler

A buddy and I started bowling league together. He started out a much better bowler, but I am catching up (outperformed him the last few times). The competition between us has been good for both our games.

We also practiced together on Sunday mornings before my baby came, and that helped too.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and winner of a weekly ball contest!

Chats: 3

I think I'm just as competitive in practice as I am in competition. I treat every practice as I would a league match or tournament. I think this is why I usually don't fail when my scores count....I'm use to the pressure.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Bowl with better bowlers..you bowl better. It's the comp.
    Don H.
    San Antonio,Texas
    Current Avg. 208 ( April 25,2009 )
    HG: 279
    HS: 762
    Brunswick 1000 Oaks
    Career Highs
    Avg. 213
    300 Game
    802 series
    Global 900 Breaker
    Track Triton Heat

Super Moderator
    Chats: 12

Bowl with better Bowlers and you will get better....Hear what they say whern they give you advise!
    ~Brian Hirsch~
    VISE Staff Member
    Bowlingboards.com You're #1 Online Bowling Forums

We got a friend of mine to bowl with us this year . He hasn't bowled in a mens league for years . He usually has a 190-195 average in the mixed league . We got him some newer equipment and helped him learn to use it . He had 2 700's this year. ended up averaging 202 . First time ever over 200. The second half he probably averaged 209 or 210 .I think the competition helped him .

Thats great to hear. Good for him.
    Don H.
    San Antonio,Texas
    Current Avg. 208 ( April 25,2009 )
    HG: 279
    HS: 762
    Brunswick 1000 Oaks
    Career Highs
    Avg. 213
    300 Game
    802 series
    Global 900 Breaker
    Track Triton Heat

Chats: 2315

Some people really thrive in competition, and some people can shoot lights out in practice but don't do as well in competition. I'm not sure I fall into either category, because I could do just as well or just as bad in either situation. I think for me, it's just a matter of how I'm executing that day and how I match up to the condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike Domination View Post
    Some people really thrive in competition, and some people can shoot lights out in practice but don't do as well in competition. I'm not sure I fall into either category, because I could do just as well or just as bad in either situation. I think for me, it's just a matter of how I'm executing that day and how I match up to the condition.

+1 completely!!!

Competition doesn't necessary effect my game one way or the other. For years it adversly effected my game, I would "crack" under the pressure...now, I fully realize that no matter how much I want to beat the ever loving snot out of my opponent (bowling wise of course) if I'm not executing that day, or just not carrying how I'd like to...there is only so much I can do within my bag and within my knowlege of the lanes.

If its not gonna happen, its not gonna happen. I try my hardest every time to beat my man/opposing team, but if the pins arent' there, the competition won't make that up for me.

I focus on having fun and staying relaxed more than intense...I focus when I need to and relax when I need to!

Cheers all!
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast