Thread: Bowling ball Speed

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Bowling ball Speed

What is the best way to slow down the bowling ball. Right now I can't get much slower that 19 MPH.
    I'm 6'4" and have been bowling for about 4 years.

Chats: 3

change up the height you start out holding your ball. When I want to go slower....I hold my ball at hip height instead of chest height. I also slow down my approach in general.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Default approach

also depending on how many step approach you have, i went from a 6 step to a 5 step to slow my speed down.
    Joe Mainville
    usbc member #8291-825
    highest 07-08 avg-193
    current avg-216
    high game- 300
    high series- 714

im proud to be a member of bowlingboards.com
    www.bowlsk.com

a bit +1 to Jord,

she is right on. I typically need to throw as slow as possible so I will start my approach with the ball below my waist, my push out matches my first step, then I go through the motions from there.

good luck!
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

What is Bowling?

Thanks Everyone, I will try doing both

Quote Originally Posted by Jord_84 View Post
    change up the height you start out holding your ball. When I want to go slower....I hold my ball at hip height instead of chest height. I also slow down my approach in general.
    Assuming the bowler is allowing the ball to swing freely from the shoulder, that's perfect advice. With a free arm swing, the bowler lets gravity do the work. Thus, like a pendulum, the higher the point from which the ball is dropped into the swing, the higher the back swing and the faster the ball speed. The lower the drop point, the lower the back swing and the lower the ball speed.

If everything else is the same, when using this method, for every inch the bowler lowers the ball in his/her stance, the bowler should also move his/her starting position forward an inch on the approach. A shorter approach helps get to the line slightly quicker to make up for the shorter swing.

If the bowler in question is using muscle to swing the ball, height of the swing make little or no difference.
    The bowler will simply need to use less muscle.

The number of steps taken will only affect ball speed if the feet are being used to generate speed and the greater number of steps are used to create momentum. The best two examples I can think of in this area are Norm Duke and Jason Hurd. They both use a free arm swing, but Norm is quite short, so the height of his back swing is limited. When Norm wants to throw it faster, he gets his feet moving and creates momentum. The number of steps or the starting point on the approach doesn't change (he's all the way back) but the speed of the steps changes. Jason Hurd throws an above-normal ball speed and uses a short approach made up of slow, small steps. However, he's a taller guy, so he uses a free, high arm swing to the best benefit to generate ball speed.

So if the bowler is using faster footwork to increase ball speed, the bowler can move starting position closer to the foul line and slow the feet down, without increasing or decreasing the number of steps, and obtain the same result.
    Last edited by JAnderson; 05-18-2009 at 03:37 PM.
    JJ "Better than Jello" Anderson - Kill the Back Row

Thunder-Hammer!

I'd like to point out that Im glad I found this thread, Im having quite the opposite issue, and upon thinking of my approach, I can try to hold the ball higher before moving towards the release. Thanks!
    I'm Donny!

Arsenal= all in 15# Hammer Black Widow Venom, BW Clear, Hot sauce, Hammer Clear hammer(my collectible), and Emerald Vibe.

Ebonite Magic , and an Ebonite Maxim spareball

I'm proud to be a member of bowlingboards.com Bowling Forums!!!