Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: No love for the two fingered bowler?!

Default No love for the two fingered bowler?!

I find it hard that many, many people are so negative bout two fingered bowling(no thumb). I have continued to excell and even gotten advise from pro staff to keep doing what works 4 me. suggestions??

Chats: 106

I used to bowl 2-fingered, I ended up getting to a 156 average before I switched to using my thumb

It's just so hard to switch when you're so comfortable doing something one way. I've talked with aaron in the shop there and had my balls drilled to match how I throw. Just weird that ppl r so against

Chats: 1127

I know 2 guys in our league that bowl that way... one all the time and the other when he wants more revs. As long as your wrist can hold out, more power to ya. Whatever you need to do to score... do it!
    WORK HARD
    ROCK HARD
    EAT HARD
    SLEEP HARD
    GROW BIG
    WEAR GLASSES IF YOU NEED 'EM

the WEBB WILDER credo

Chats: 221

As long as USBC allows the great wall of china the average no thumber will flourish. If the shot ever changes it will require more accuracy and many will suffer major average loss. As it is with people who throw a "normal" fingertip grip there are those in both styles that are reasonably accurate and they will survive in tougher conditions. There is no right or wrong way as far as no thumb vs thumb, However there is a reason why there are so few no thumbers out on tour
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 2315

I'd bowl no thumb or two handed if I could do it without all those revs, and also learn how to control the ball roll.

There are two guys in my league that bowl no thumb that I know of.

Chats: 3

I don't have anything against 2 finger bowlers. One guy on my team this year bowls 2 finger. We love giving him a hard time tho. He'll throw a crazy ball, leave a split and come back saying "what happened?!"

Our usual reply is "your thumb wasn't in the ball!"

All in good fun
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

im no thumb... But i have been doing it for about 6 years now so I have it down pretty good.. I also throw with a thumb too late in tournament squads when the lanes dry up or when i just dont wanna play the big hook.. So I can actually throw either, but I stick primarly without.. I look at it as if you can mater both you will be untouchable... thumb out for the longer heavier patterns and thumb in when they are toast... I can do anything without a thumb that someone with one can do.. I can adjust revs, its not all one speed.. different hand positions and arm slots..
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    im no thumb... But i have been doing it for about 6 years now so I have it down pretty good.. I also throw with a thumb too late in tournament squads when the lanes dry up or when i just dont wanna play the big hook.. So I can actually throw either, but I stick primarly without.. I look at it as if you can mater both you will be untouchable... thumb out for the longer heavier patterns and thumb in when they are toast... I can do anything without a thumb that someone with one can do.. I can adjust revs, its not all one speed.. different hand positions and arm slots..
    I'm the same way. Taught myself to hook a ball with two fingers and a cheap plastic ball. Started league last year and began the same way, just took a little to find my spot as I didn't bowl in nearly 10 years. I am the anchor for our team, and once I set an average, I usually bowl in the high 5s and lower 6s for series. I have been practicing using the thumb, but use a fingertip grip for either setting. I throw the same speed (unless I am throwing it straight for a spare, and then its a few mph faster), and can get the same revs either way. I am more comfortable with my targeting using two fingers, so it is my normal way. Once the lanes start breaking down by the third game (bowl on the late leagues), I will switch to using the thumb if I get better control and less movement.

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Well, God gave me a thumb, so by golly, I'm using it. If you really want to go two finger, why not go old school? Middle finger and thumb as in the olden days. Don't worry about style. It's not how, it's how many.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast