Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Excessive 10 pin leaves

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Being aware of where the oil is moving is a very hard thing to learn or actually know when it's happening. On another thread I added a piece of info about lane oil in response to someone talking about carrydown. There really isn't that much carry down oil anymore, sure there's always going to be a little, as compared to when we all shot on wooden lanes. With the synthetics, and the new technology balls, oil moves and basically creates a dry path where you're shooting. Looking at a cross section of a lane oil pattern (and these technical guys have done it) the balls will create something like a dry valley and move the oil left or right of the target. So if you're shooting the 7-8 board along with 5 or 6 other guys, and assuming you're all being daily accurate, after about 6 or 7 frames, that oil is somewhat dried up, i.e.; your ball starts hooking more, and you should be thinking about moving your feet and target left where the oil has moved to.

Here's the article...hope it helps..

http://bowlingknowledge.info/images/..._slowinski.pdf
    This makes shooting 300 very hard
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    This makes shooting 300 very hard
    If it were easy we wouldn't have anything to talk about here!
    John

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    If it were easy we wouldn't have anything to talk about here!
    Very true! I wonder if a perfect game or round is possible in Golf?
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    Very true! I wonder if a perfect game or round is possible in Golf?
    I suppose that would be a hole in one on every hole. Not very likely unless the greens were shaped like funnels.
    John

A realistic perfect round of golf would be 54; essentially a birdie on every single hole. There have been many pros that have come close, but I believe the lowest is 58. There is a website that talks about it called www.vision54.com
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums
    In the bag: DV8 (Misfit, Zombie), Roto Grip (Disturbed, Wrecker), Storm (Hy-Road Pearl, Ice, IQ Tour Pearl, Sync, Tropical Breeze)
    High league game: 256. High league series: 618 PAP: 3 1/2" over 1" up

Blog Entries

Cool. My high game is.225 and I am happy as heck

Chats: 0

Trying to figure out oil patterns is like trying to figure out the winning power ball number. When you hit it right you'll know by the score. When you don't hit it right, you'll also know by the score !! LOL

After MANY years of bowling, it's still a challenge for me as well. I've even been in the position as a lane manager to set up the lane machine and determine the shot. It's not an exact science, but I can tell you if a house wants to, they can put out a very high scoring shot. I know, because I did it in a house that didn't even have a 700 series shot for over 3 years. After I changed it we had several 300's, a couple 800's and more 700's than I could count. Happy bowlers are bowlers that are shooting good scores. Happy bowlers also come to bowl more often, buy more equipment at the pro shop, and just spend more money overall. Unfortunately many house owners/managers don't get this and this also has contributed to the decline in bowling. It's a real shame but it's the truth.

Going back to what I started with, paying attention to what you're leaving on the pin deck, and what others around you are leaving and where they're shooting is a very important part of the game. This is something all bowlers good and mediocre, need to learn. If you see something happening and you don't move your target or your angle, you'll end up paying for it. Even the guys I bowl with I have to remind to move. One of the guys knows (and reminds me all the time) when you start to see a 4 pin being left, you'd better start thinking about moving. Because the next shot or two may be a split right on the beak. Watch whats going on around you, not just on your lanes but the pairs to your left and right. It will tell you something.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Trying to figure out oil patterns is like trying to figure out the winning power ball number. When you hit it right you'll know by the score. When you don't hit it right, you'll also know by the score !! LOL

After MANY years of bowling, it's still a challenge for me as well. I've even been in the position as a lane manager to set up the lane machine and determine the shot. It's not an exact science, but I can tell you if a house wants to, they can put out a very high scoring shot. I know, because I did it in a house that didn't even have a 700 series shot for over 3 years. After I changed it we had several 300's, a couple 800's and more 700's than I could count. Happy bowlers are bowlers that are shooting good scores. Happy bowlers also come to bowl more often, buy more equipment at the pro shop, and just spend more money overall. Unfortunately many house owners/managers don't get this and this also has contributed to the decline in bowling. It's a real shame but it's the truth.

Going back to what I started with, paying attention to what you're leaving on the pin deck, and what others around you are leaving and where they're shooting is a very important part of the game. This is something all bowlers good and mediocre, need to learn. If you see something happening and you don't move your target or your angle, you'll end up paying for it. Even the guys I bowl with I have to remind to move. One of the guys knows (and reminds me all the time) when you start to see a 4 pin being left, you'd better start thinking about moving. Because the next shot or two may be a split right on the beak. Watch whats going on around you, not just on your lanes but the pairs to your left and right. It will tell you something.
    You're exactly right about the oil patterns Bob, but some managers would rather save the money they'd have to spend on personnel and oiling.
    I even see old timers come out and bowl again after years out of the game if they know the local alley is getting a lot of high scores.
    The local alley I bowled at years ago would really miserly on putting oil on the lanes and their two centers were only sparsely populated by bowlers - they seemed happy to make just enough effort to keep things chugging over. Their smaller alley eventually shut down due to lack of patronage. That was my alley and they were notorious for terrible lane conditions at league time. Yeah, they ran the machine up and down the lanes, but they either used cheap conditioner or the shortest patterns to save on it - whatever it was, they were always way too dry. I think the mentality was to give the straight bowlers an advantage by making the hook bowlers suffer.
    ad.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123