Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am concerned about developing chronic wrist troubles

Blog Entries
    Chats: 116

Default I am concerned about developing chronic wrist troubles

I just came accross this article on PBA.COM http://news.pba.com/post/2011/01/07/...Champions.aspx

It looks like Mike Miller retired 13 years ago because he developed chronic wrist troubles due to his thumb-less release. I just came back into the game after 10 years due to a car accident and I converted to thumb-less and got back in the game after a month and I am now close to a 200 average again!

last night after bowling 8 games I had trouble during the beginning of th 7th where the ball felt like it was slipping out of my hand. I had to concentrate more and more on cupping my ball hardder which calse my attention on other areas to be descracted which allso caused me to give too much lift on the ball. After a while I got back into the swing of things.

But twords the end of the 8th game I was just too tired and converted to a broken wrist dead on approach to finish up with above 200 game.

What can I do to insurse that I am not taken out of the game before my time? I have not signed up for a leauge yet or even attended any tournaments.

What can I do to prevent injury and what can I do to strenghten key areas of my body so that everything feels effortless?

Thanks guys!

It sure feels great to be bowling over 200 again 6 games out of 8!!!! Average last night was 197.
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game
    Open Average: 171 High Open Game: 226
    Tweener; Deep; Medium Loft; Low Backswing ; Speed: 12 MPH

Chats: 0

Michael, I wish there was something I could say that might assure you of never having that type of problem, however, with that type of release most of the pressure will be on your wrist from cupping so much. The only thing that might help is to do some wrist strength exercises and build up the muscles and tendons in your wrist. Also you might want to consult a sports therapist and get some suggestions from them. When you get older, and I know this from personal experience, lots of aches and pains suddenly appear about an hour after bowling and the next morning isn't any better. So while you're young enough try and take some preventative measures. Good luck.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Michael, I wish there was something I could say that might assure you of never having that type of problem, however, with that type of release most of the pressure will be on your wrist from cupping so much. The only thing that might help is to do some wrist strength exercises and build up the muscles and tendons in your wrist. Also you might want to consult a sports therapist and get some suggestions from them. When you get older, and I know this from personal experience, lots of aches and pains suddenly appear about an hour after bowling and the next morning isn't any better. So while you're young enough try and take some preventative measures. Good luck.
    Also I need to get my timing better so that when my arm swings back and forth the ball is where it should be at the time it needs to be.

Know what I mean?

I wonder if Mike Miller takes email questions?
    In the Bag: Hammer Nail, Smoke and Fire #13 RG (2.53) Diff (.055) - Bowling a 189 Game

Try him. Most good bowlers are more than willing to help out other bowlers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Blog Entries

Try him. Most good bowlers are more than willing to help out other bowlers. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    I can't seem to find his Twitter account or any other access point.

Little help

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by unclemantis View Post
    I can't seem to find his Twitter account or any other access point.

Little help
    I sort of doubt that Mike Miller would be on Twitter.
    John

Chats: 19

8 games is a lot and I know you tend to bowl a ton of those $1 game open nights. Perhaps bowling 3 to 4 is the answer. Or consider joining a league. I also have a thumbless release (most of the time) and I bowl about 5 games a week on average. Sometimes I only bowl 3 games in league. I DID have wrist problems last year but I blame golf...

Less is more, and proper recovery time is key. At least consider bowling only every 3 days if you are going to bowl 8 games per trip. Let yourself recover.

A pro will bowl more than that because it is income. You have a choice.
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ArtVandelay View Post
    8 games is a lot and I know you tend to bowl a ton of those $1 game open nights. Perhaps bowling 3 to 4 is the answer. Or consider joining a league. I also have a thumbless release (most of the time) and I bowl about 5 games a week on average. Sometimes I only bowl 3 games in league. I DID have wrist problems last year but I blame golf...

Less is more, and proper recovery time is key. At least consider bowling only every 3 days if you are going to bowl 8 games per trip. Let yourself recover.

A pro will bowl more than that because it is income. You have a choice.
    So 3 to 4 every other day?

I agree with Art....... If you bowl 8 games and get tired after 4 or 5, a lot of things start shutting down. You're getting tired, so you're approach, swing and follow through may change/suffer. Better to shoot 3 maybe 4 at a time, I think you'd get more out of it.
    Bob

Blog Entries

I agree with Art....... If you bowl 8 games and get tired after 4 or 5, a lot of things start shutting down. You're getting tired, so you're approach, swing and follow through may change/suffer. Better to shoot 3 maybe 4 at a time, I think you'd get more out of it.
    I will try that.

I think muscle memory is hard wired now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast