Thread: Stroking or Tweening

Default Stroking or Tweening

I've been bowling for a while, but recently came back from a 3 year brake and I want to start self educating. I started learning about the differences between crankers, strokers, and tweeners, and i'm trying to figure out where I stand and how to more effectively fill that role.

Using a Twisted Fury Solid, I'm typically releasing at the 19-18 board range, crossing at the 16-15 and using a gradual curve to the 1-3 pocket. I don't believe I have high rev rate, and ideally I think I try to release prior to my ankle, though I get the feeling it is probably later than this. So am I a tweener or a stroker? I think I find myself more attracted to using a stroker's style, since I prefer accuracy over wicked and explosive curve.

Whichever style I'm currently using, what are some things to focus on for that release style? Give me some things to work and focus on.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by trickysocialwkr View Post
    I've been bowling for a while, but recently came back from a 3 year brake and I want to start self educating. I started learning about the differences between crankers, strokers, and tweeners, and i'm trying to figure out where I stand and how to more effectively fill that role.

Using a Twisted Fury Solid, I'm typically releasing at the 19-18 board range, crossing at the 16-15 and using a gradual curve to the 1-3 pocket. I don't believe I have high rev rate, and ideally I think I try to release prior to my ankle, though I get the feeling it is probably later than this. So am I a tweener or a stroker? I think I find myself more attracted to using a stroker's style, since I prefer accuracy over wicked and explosive curve.

Whichever style I'm currently using, what are some things to focus on for that release style? Give me some things to work and focus on.
    If you prefer accuracy, stroker would be the way for you.
    There are several tactics you can use to overcome the usual suspect conditions.
    If it's heavy oil, you can slow it down and use something that hooks hard.
    If it's dryish, you can bowl faster with something less aggressive.
    ad.

Personally I'm working less on style at the moment and more on consitancy. After a long break I came back last season and it's taken me 18 months to even start to settle down. Even now I forget to turn the wrist enough sometimes or don't follow through.

That said I think unless you're very lucky and can manage it all, it's less a matter of picking a style as opposed to letting the style pick you. For example I simply can't be a cranker. The positioning is uncomfortable for me and the accuracy is lousy. With practise I could probably overcome accuracy a little but still wouldn't feel comfortable.

I'm finding it far better (after watching so many hours of instructional and other videos to analyze my own form along with some coaching) to bowl in a style that simply feels natural and just make small changes to improve that (a big one has been realizing that my arm isn't relaxed enough through the swing stopping me getting behind the ball as much as I'd like). Turns out this style is halfway between what many would consider stroker and tweener. A little too fast to be a conventional stroker but perhaps too rev challenged to fit properly in the tweener category (although this is imrpoving in part due to the arm thing above).

So...as opposed to trying to fit in a slot and bowl the way you see others do I'd say go with what's comfortable and then improve on that one area at a time