Thread: storm match maker pt 2

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Unhappy storm match maker pt 2

our local bowling lanes are very dry in the back lately because of new oil patterns and i have been polishing the ball and not getting the reaction that i though that i should get by carrying farther down the lanes (i actually hooks more by polishing it). i stumbled across this site:"storm match maker part 2" on youtube and they tak about this very situation but i don't quit understand what he is saying!? is he saying that the ball should be roughed up a little to make the transition from skid,hook and roll better? i need a better understanding than what i though i needed to do.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by tracy View Post
    our local bowling lanes are very dry in the back lately because of new oil patterns and i have been polishing the ball and not getting the reaction that i though that i should get by carrying farther down the lanes (i actually hooks more by polishing it). i stumbled across this site:"storm match maker part 2" on youtube and they tak about this very situation but i don't quit understand what he is saying!? is he saying that the ball should be roughed up a little to make the transition from skid,hook and roll better? i need a better understanding than what i though i needed to do.
    I believe polishing a resin ball will make it grippier and therefor hook more. I know for sure that if you do that with a urethane ball it will make it skid more therefor reducing the hook.
    Try shooting down the middle of the lane - the oil pattern is usually longer down the middle - I did and got some good results. Instead of standing on middle dot and hitting second arrow, I stood on fourth dot and hit third arrow. You may have to adjust one or two boards.
    ad.

Chats: 64

Getting the right combination is tricky. Depends on your ball speed, oil volume, rotation, accuracy, I could go on. Since you said that the ball hooks more when it is polished it sounds like the ball is storing up its energy which allows the ball to snap harder on the back ends. By roughing up the surface a bit before you polish it the ball may roll earlier through the midlane making the back end reaction smoother and less abrupt.

What is your ball speed, approximately? What kind of ball are you using and how is it laid out? Finally what stages did your pro shop person take it through to reach the final polished stage. Ex: the following numbers are grits with the lower the number meaning rougher. 400-600-1000-1500 then polish? The combinations are endless and the type of polish makes a difference. It also makes a difference how long they spent at each stage and if it was done by hand or machine. There is quite a bit more but I don't want to overwhelm anyone.