Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

Chats: 1

I won't adjust off a single ringing 10. If I'm getting a series of them, then I will make one of two adjustments. The first is with my fingers. My normal hand position has the pinky next to the palm, and my index finger spread away from my palm. I'll just move my index finger next to the palm. This will cause the ball to go into a roll a tad sooner and possibly face up to the pocket better. If that doesn't work, then I'll move 1 board to the left, and target 1 board to the left just to change the angle slightly.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    I won't adjust off a single ringing 10. If I'm getting a series of them, then I will make one of two adjustments. The first is with my fingers. My normal hand position has the pinky next to the palm, and my index finger spread away from my palm. I'll just move my index finger next to the palm. This will cause the ball to go into a roll a tad sooner and possibly face up to the pocket better. If that doesn't work, then I'll move 1 board to the left, and target 1 board to the left just to change the angle slightly.
    Interesting Jim - will keep those in mind, thnx.
    ad.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's a Q&A from Walter Ray.

Paul,
    I throw a 14lb ball and I seem to leave the ringing 10 pin quite often. Do you think bumping up my ball weight would help with knocking down that 10 pin.

Hi Paul,
    I don't know if a heavier ball will help get a ringing 10 out or not. I use 15 pounds and I used to use 16. I think it depends on the bowling center. Also, the more you hit the pocket, the more 10 pins you will leave. So pick them up.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Here's a Q&A from Walter Ray.

Paul,
    I throw a 14lb ball and I seem to leave the ringing 10 pin quite often. Do you think bumping up my ball weight would help with knocking down that 10 pin.

Hi Paul,
    I don't know if a heavier ball will help get a ringing 10 out or not. I use 15 pounds and I used to use 16. I think it depends on the bowling center. Also, the more you hit the pocket, the more 10 pins you will leave. So pick them up.
    I don't mind tens, I have had them so often, I know exactly how to pick them up. It is frustrating to know you have missed out on a strike, but you aren't gonna get strikes every time anyway.
    Bottom line is that you are hitting the pocket and there is not a whole lot of adjustment you can make and the chances are you won't hit that exact same spot again so the chances are you may get that strike.
    ad.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Personally...I move five boards right and increase my speed about 3.5mph. Then even if I miss the pocket by a pinch the flying messengers everywhere should get it. Of course when I start getting about 25mph I have worse spares to pick up than a ten pin

Chats: 891

the way i found out how to hit my 10pins every time is when i go to do the spare shot i pull my pinky in right to my fingers and it helps me get the slid across the lane and beable to throw it right over the middle arrow and have a decent enoph speed that if i just adjust the speed alittle more i cna get the pin back up on the deck if i hit it on the right spot

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Personally...I move five boards right and increase my speed about 3.5mph. Then even if I miss the pocket by a pinch the flying messengers everywhere should get it. Of course when I start getting about 25mph I have worse spares to pick up than a ten pin
    25 is quite impressive. I am only in the 13 - 14 m.p.h. range with a 15 pounder and would have to drop to about 10 pounds to get anywhere near 20. Most people don't have the ability to throw it much past 17 - 18 so consider yourself fortunate!
    ad.

Chats: 891

aussie anyone can get the ball to that speed it just takes time to learn how to do it i roughly throw between 15mph-17mph but when i do my spares i throw it 20mph soo if i get lucky i can get the pin back up on the lane and get to 7 pin if i leave the 7-10 split,

also the fastest i have gotten my ball to go with sjut having fun is 23mph but i got more accuacy on my spares at 20mph soo it jsut depends on where your hands start and how high your back swing you want to put it too

In bag- , storm iq tour pearl , columbia 300 white dot, Brunswick meanstreak brawler, 900 global network, roto-grip rumble, DV8 nightmare

youth bowling Canada member

high game: 300
    high series: 699

this season high Game: 249
    this season high Series: 618

Lol, sometimes it just doesn't feel like you can do anything about it that's how I felt today no matter what ball change I made or line change or even lofting nothing helped couldn't do anything to help the cause it can be quite frustrating that's for sure.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Aussiedave, I have spent the past few years learning to slow my bhaveall down while keeping my timing correct. I may have the slowest cadence to the foul line in the history of bowling. I started bowling six years ago at age 37. I tried but couldn't get that dang 16 pound ball to go as fast as my age. Of course as I've learned to get revs it has slowed some but if I don't totally focus on a spare and let it fly, it goes humming down the lane. For 7-10 splits I try to throw it around 23mph with revs, but not much hook at that speed. The rotation causes the 7 pin to spin so when it hits the back wall in the right corner, it hits the side and comes back onto the deck. It's not easy but the best way for me to get that split. Some days I would rather shoot that than a cold 10 pin.
    My speed doesn't have much to do with technique. I started powerlifting/bodybuilding at 12. I still weigh a solid 230lbs at 6' tall and am stronger that most people I know, even co-workers half my age (labor intensive job).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast