Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

Ringer
    Chats: 32

sometimes it's frustating when you leave 10 pins ( i had a game where i had 8-9 frames where i hit the pocket and the 10 pin just wouldn't go down), but i guess you don't have to make adjustments.. sometimes the strikes just come eventually in the next few frames or next game

Chats: 39

I'm kinda of the same way as some of the other guys have posted. If you've got one ringing ten pin in between 4-5 throws that were strikes I wouldn't adjust too much. If you've got 5 or 6 in a row though, you're definitely going to want to adjust your starting position by a half a board (or an inch vertically).

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I watch how my ball moves through the pocket and pins. Watching the pins deflect can get difficult but knowing what the f any, adjustment I makeball is doing to cause the pins to go as they are helps me decide which, I make. Sometimes I just think, screw it, and start hitting brooklyn.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

If im leaving 10's, I try to get more headpin to drop it.

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by resstealth View Post
    If im leaving 10's, I try to get more headpin to drop it.
    isn't that a bit too risky? if you get too much of the headpin, it might just leave nasty splits instead of strikes..

When I leave 7's (I'm left handed), it is always, because I am a little too far of the head pin and too near of the 2nd pin. Usually, the 2nd pin hits the 4th and then the 7th. When you hit "too much" the 2nd, the "domino" move to hit the 7th isn't adequate so that it leaves there.
    Brunswick T-Zone
    Brunswick C-System Alpha-Max
    Brunswick Wild Card
    Storm Streamline 3 ball roller

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    isn't that a bit too risky? if you get too much of the headpin, it might just leave nasty splits instead of strikes..
    Too light can leave the 5-10, 2-10, or the 2-8-10 for righties.
    Without risk there is little reward. I'm sure that I'm quoting or misquoting someone but I can't remember who!
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here's a diagram about leaving ten pins.

"You are looking at the ball hitting the pocket. The ball could have struck the head pin slightly heavy (diagram A) or it could have struck the head pin slightly light (diagram B). Of course there’s always the question of the ball’s angle of entry to consider."
    Last edited by bowl1820; 04-08-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Ringer

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    "You are looking at the ball hitting the pocket. The ball could have struck the head pin slightly heavy (diagram A) or it could have struck the head pin slightly light (diagram B). Of course there’s always the question of the ball’s angle of entry to consider."
    that's pretty useful.. i usually get more of diagram A but i don't know why.. now i know i'm hitting the head pin slightly too heavy..

i do get diagram B once in a while but i tend to get strikes and not leave the 10-pin when i do that..

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234