Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Adjustments for that dang cold ten pin.

Hi aussiedave,

I am a novice at bowling but was provided this information that may be useful to you. About half way through the article, it discussed what to do if you are leaving the ten pin a lot. There is a lot of really good information in this in addition to the ten pin adjustment.

http://www.athletics2000.com/andrew/...ane%20Play.pdf

Good Bowling

Bowler
    Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    Thanks to the posters who replied.
    I should have been a little more specific in my op - some got what I really wanted to discuss and some understandably went with the spare angle.
    So, I'll elaborate - what adjustments do you make to your next strike shot if the lanes are medium to oily and you are leaving ringer ten's?
    ad.
    hmm that varies from person to person. id say most people move boards and move targets. unfortunately, its all trial and error

I find it interesting that WRW jr once said that he doesn't adjust for a ringing ten pin because he never hits the exact same spot in the pocket twice. I find that very hard to believe that he doesn't slow/speed up his ball or move a little bit. But that's what he said.

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Grimthrow View Post
    I find it interesting that WRW jr once said that he doesn't adjust for a ringing ten pin because he never hits the exact same spot in the pocket twice. I find that very hard to believe that he doesn't slow/speed up his ball or move a little bit. But that's what he said.
    I'm kinda old school myself, but will and do try adjustments if I can't get any results.
    Over the last three weeks for example, on the first two weeks I was getting plenty of strikes. Then last night, only about half as many and the last game started the game with 6 nines, 5 of which were 10 pins, and one 4 pin. So you can immediately tell I am hitting the pocket. (Had one more 10 pin late in the game.) I was also having trouble in the first two game last night, and made a forward 12 inch step adjustment and still left those perishing 10 pins. I use a good condition, fairly new 15 pound Tropical Heat and get plenty of turn into the pocket (semi-roller, about 15-16 m.p.h.).
    What puzzles me is that I didn't do anything different from the previous two weeks, although my teammate suggested the same thing I did that the oil pattern was obviously on the short side, which is beside the point if you hit the pocket - fair enough you can't expect a strike every time you hit the pocket, but out of 6 10 pins, one would reasonably expect at least 50%?
    *sigh*
    ad.

Step into my office

Chats: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Grimthrow View Post
    This is true, it's something he's told me in person. Reason being, when you're bowling on PBA or sport conditions, it can be tough to even find a solid line to the pocket. If you've he's a good read of the lanes, but he's just no carrying, he'll stay put. House conditions are a different story. You can move to all parts of the lane and still get to the pocket.
    My new CD, 'What I'm Made Of' is available now at www.dustinseymour.com, iTunes, Amazon and more!

I'm a bowler and a musician. I have a strong love for both. www.facebook.com/dustinseymourmusic

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums.

Chats: 891

i have a problem with those 10 pins every time i hit that pocket perfectly the ten jsut wont fall and when i adjust it jsut seem to get worse i got people there that are really good at bowling and they cant even figure it out soo for awhile know we have been saying theres magnets on the ten pins lol

Bowler
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by striker12 View Post
    i have a problem with those 10 pins every time i hit that pocket perfectly the ten jsut wont fall and when i adjust it jsut seem to get worse i got people there that are really good at bowling and they cant even figure it out soo for awhile know we have been saying theres magnets on the ten pins lol
    It's all the more frustrating when you play a team of straight bowlers bowling about 2 m.p.h slower and using 2-3 pounds lighter balls getting plenty of strikes - many of them those ugly lucky ones - meanwhile you put another ball into the pocket and leave that ringer 10 - arghhhhh!
    *sigh*
    ad.

ok i think i might know your problem we fixed my with alittle lift on the ball the ball is going in too sharp intothe pocket thats its not hitting the right spot wher it needs to soo it will make that strike and yes streght bowlers that throw it slow cna get lots of strikes cause if you think of it no speed no power its just motion that makes those pins fall can the ball wont bounce as much i kinda know i use to bowl streght my self when i first started i started with a 11lb ball way to light for me i was litterly fireing that ball down the lanes at close to 24-30mph and i was leaving lots of pins up cause too much motion on the ball and not corect entry watch some videos on youtube about people throwing there ball down and see how it move to the pins ( yes they throw different but just take a look at the ball motion) u will find out whats going wrong with your ball and wheres its snaping in early or late

Well, this is what my coach taught me to do for that:
    Stand in the middle of the marks. Use a plastic bowling ball, and hold your hand flat. Throw the ball keeping your arm slightly off to the right. It makes my ball drift towards the 10-pin and get it 80% of the time.

yeah i have had it one week i could hit the right side spares but not the left the next week i cna hit the left side but not the right side its just funny and annoying at the same time lol.

but also jsut the past sunday i was bowling in my leuage and i could not hit a spare at all cause there was water mixed in with the oil soo my ball slid eather left or right never caught friction cause its would pull the oil down to the pins i had to bowl streght throwingthe ball at close to 30mph and i was barly getting strikes.

how i know ther was water on the lanes it was dripping off my ball when it came back

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast