Thread: Advice for someone getting back into bowling

What is Bowling?
    Chats: 0

Default Advice for someone getting back into bowling

hi all,

so I know this will be hard to give advice on without watching me, I plan on maybe making a video of myself and see what im doing wrong.. I have been out of bowling for about 3-3 1/2 years, love the sport and I have been practicing alot getting ready for a mixed couples fun league this fall.. so I have never had this issue before, after bowling like 3-4 games my sliding leg is super sore, like above the knee cap, kinda like a charlie horse cramp.. I think im sliding good, sometimes I seem to stop and tork my leg a bit. the only thing i can think of is my balance is not correct so when im sliding im putting extra pressure on my upper leg. its frustrating me but most of all its hindering my practice. i have tried my old shoes and new shoes and house shoes, its seems the shoes are not the issue.

Chats: 221

This may seem like a strange idea but your potassium level could be a little low.I know i have had a similar issue along with leg cramps after bowling. Nowdays i just eat a bananna the days i'm going to bowl and that has seemed to help a lot
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by mike1 View Post
    sometimes I seem to stop and tork my leg a bit. the only thing i can think of is my balance is not correct so when im sliding im putting extra pressure on my upper leg.
    That will do it every time if your balance is off and sounds like you are planting your foot
    instead of sliding sometimes. Stormed1 brought up a good point also it could be that your
    potassium level could be a little low I know mine used to be low and I would get leg cramps
    so now I take a potassium vitamin pill every morning.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

What is Bowling?

I too have the same issue but its more in the hip area! gonna try the potassium thing!

Bowler

Quote Originally Posted by Stormed1 View Post
    This may seem like a strange idea but your potassium level could be a little low.I know i have had a similar issue along with leg cramps after bowling. Nowdays i just eat a bananna the days i'm going to bowl and that has seemed to help a lot
    I'm 54 and don't have any physical issues - but I do eat bananas regularly. After the tip you gave, I will make sure I always will.
    ad.

Bowler
    Chats: 2

I came back to bowling recently after having stopped for about 7 years. Getting the timing back is the toughest part. It does sound like you are either releasing the ball a little late or turning your leg the incorrect way or not bending correctly. It could also be muscular so you might need to work it out a bit.